vb:literal>

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FTF Question

Post Want credit?

Find the cache and sign the log. Done. Except. The team found " Super Duper Underwater Hydro Cache 2.0" this last weekend. The cache is under 10 feet of water, and hadn't been logged in almost a year. The container was filled with water and we didn't even try to open. We took a picture of the cache with my navigator, ( posted on the website ) to be able to log the find. There are special circumstances, a 4X4 isn't one of them. Practice stealth or wait, or don't claim. Also let's mention a DNF or a note. If you attempt the find it's a DNF. Which means if you walk the trail with your GPS'r, that's an attempt. The geocaching DNF god's are watching. These are simple rules to follow, otherwise it IS about the numbers, and overnight the team claims, 171,000 finds. LOL and not a single DNF (bigger) LOL Chalk it up Haffy.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

You didn't happen to see a pair of glasses while down getting the underwater cache did you?

I'm careful about logging DNF's... it depends on if I think the cache is really missing or it's just my incompetence. If I'm 90% sure I'm in the right spot and the hint indicates the right place yet I can't find it, I'll log a DNF, which will alert the owner that they should check on it. Otherwise I'll not say anything or post a note saying I will return.

Quote Originally Posted by Cache'n Jacksons
    You didn't happen to see a pair of glasses while down getting the underwater cache did you?

I'm careful about logging DNF's... it depends on if I think the cache is really missing or it's just my incompetence. If I'm 90% sure I'm in the right spot and the hint indicates the right place yet I can't find it, I'll log a DNF, which will alert the owner that they should check on it. Otherwise I'll not say anything or post a note saying I will return.
    If you post a DNF and the cache is really there, you can go back at a later date and post a find once you find it, right???

You have to open the cache and sign the log. How do you know you have found the cache if you don't open it? Haffy this one is yours as far as I am concerned. I got a FTF today and was so excited I went back so I could be #2TF also.
    Mrs. FFFarmer and one of the FFFarmers daughters agree, they even said "that's dumb, why wouldn't you open the cache?"

Well correct me if I am wrong. But the purpose of the log book is for the cache owner to to verify it with the internet logs to verify that the person that logged the cache on the internet has actually been to the cache. I don't think this ever gets done but I thought that was the intent for the logbook.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by Cache'n Jacksons

Hows a cache owner like myself supposed to have any fun if people look for my cache which is there, and they don't log a DNF!?!?!?!?

CoveFarm - I sure hope that logging a DNF and then finding it later counts. We returned three times to a pretty complicated multi cache before finally finding it. For us, conquering that DNF was fun but also knowing other people were getting DNFed made us feel a bit better.

Anne / TwoMaineiacs
    TwoMaineiacs / Anne and Joe

TwoMaineiacs
    For us, conquering that DNF was fun but also knowing other people were getting DNFed made us feel a bit better.
    I agree, I do practice logging a DNF even on a multi that may take several days (Thanks Team Nirvana ). Like you said, it's nice to know that I'm not the only person that took so long, or couldn't find it on my first attempt.

Logging a DNF is also a good indicator to the cache owner if something has gone awry with the cache. Multi DNF and there is a good chance the cache is missing or moved or some other calamity has come to it.

Also DNF with intermingled "finds" (Thanks Brdad ) may indicate a really good hides thus I will spend more time looking.

DNFs are too me every bit as important as logged finds and I also believe (and let me go on believing) that a DNF is not a statement of how bad a cacher a person is rather it is an indicator of how good a cacher a person is.

Cache On!!!

d’76 Guest

Tat, Mainiac1957, Girlmate and I thought that we here going to have a ftf at the Allegash tramway. when we got there someone had logged a ftf about four days before we got there but hadn't logged it on GC.com yet. It was placed over a year ago and we where really excited to be ftf but no luck. Oh well. Haffy, Its yours man enjoy!!!!

Default It can happen!

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    Well correct me if I am wrong. But the purpose of the log book is for the cache owner to to verify it with the internet logs to verify that the person that logged the cache on the internet has actually been to the cache. I don't think this ever gets done but I thought that was the intent for the logbook.
    Ohhhhhh, it gets done alright! brdad confronted me at the last event about my log in Battleship from a year ago - LOL!! I wrote a note and left my signature item, but alas I somehow forgot to actually write my name. Could it have been that it was hazy, hot, and humid that day? Maybe because it was my birthday? Or was it sheer intimidation of the cache and it's infamous owner? Nonetheless we had a laugh and he has granted me permission to keep the find - whew - I'd be hard pressed to take that tour again!! hehehe
    Last edited by Beach Comber; 08-03-2005 at 01:04 PM.
    ~ Beach Comber ~