vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thunder Storms

d’76 Guest

Default Thunder Storms

As I write this post the Neighborhood is rumbling and flashing all around. So my question is this......

Should one shut down their computer and other electrical stuff during a thunder and lightning storm? I have my stuff all plugged into surge protectors.

I remember as a kid my folks shutting everything down in the house during a storm and we would sit there like a bump on a log till it was over.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    As I write this post the Neighborhood is rumbling and flashing all around. So my question is this......

Should one shut down their computer and other electrical stuff during a thunder and lightning storm? I have my stuff all plugged into surge protectors.

I remember as a kid my folks shutting everything down in the house during a storm and we would sit there like a bump on a log till it was over.

Depends on the surge protectors. Some are just glorified extention cords. I would just to be safe. If you dont have an external power supply you could damage it also by going down quickly. At least it could damage your disk if it is the middle of a write. Good luck and stay safe.

Default As Clint said

Go on ask yourself "Are you feelin' lucky punk, well are ya" From an electricians point of view nothing can hurt your equipment if it's not plugged in. But where do you stop. Last time I checked I could buy a computer or a TV for far less than a new furnace or most new refrigerators. No one ever thinks about disconnecting those. Just my thoughts.
    Happy Trails!

I got a laptop. Power has gone out 3 times today up in Caribou due to the storm... yet my computer still runs! Yes... weird weather... tornado watchs, storms, sun, light rain and heavy heavy rain all in the same day... welcome to Aroostook County Maine.
    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Back in '89' (1889?) I had a very expensive video camera that I forgot to unplug from the wall. We were in the process of unplugging things because we realized that the lighting storm was coming right at us. (yes; we were counting between the flash and the sound) The lightening hit the power line about 3 poles down the road. It took out the video camera and severa lights in the house that were not even on! Then entire neighborhood had stuff ruined. Everything in the house was covered by homeowners insurance. Moral: Only leave plugged in stuff that you don't mind losing. (Is the hard-drive backed up?)
    What; Me Worry?

d’76 Guest

Where you using it with out it plugged in. Go figure

Quote Originally Posted by J_Cyr
    I got a laptop. Power has gone out 3 times today up in Caribou due to the storm... yet my computer still runs! Yes... weird weather... tornado watchs, storms, sun, light rain and heavy heavy rain all in the same day... welcome to Aroostook County Maine.

Actually my system auto-matically goes to the battery if the it unplugs, or looses plug connection... so it don't matter if the lights are flickering... this baby is running Its got about 3 hours life on a battery...and I can burn and watch dvd's and surf the web anywhere... can't beat it.
    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Last year, one of my coworkers asked me if I could help fix a few things that were not working after a strom. He and his family lived on the top floor of a very old building. The lightning found a path to ground through the pipe in the shower. Much like your shower, there is a flange about 3" diameter and over 1/8" thick. The force of electricity was enough to bend the flange! It was an amazing display of power. Surge protectors did nothing.

There are two things to protect yourself from during a storm. The lightning must have a path other than your electronics. Does your house have a lightning rod?

The second thing is the power fluctuations that occure on the power grid. The surge protector should protect you from those spikes.

Of course, unplugging is a good!

And don't just unplug the power cord! If you're really worried, unplug your phone line/network cable too. I've heard of people with fried modems and network cards from power spikes that came in through phone lines and cable. They aren't big-buck items to replace, but you won't get ny cache notifications while offline either!

I have fried two modems from lightning here at the house. That was with the computer turn off and unplugged too.
    Blazing Troll