vb:literal>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Porcupines and Power Lines

Default Porcupines and Power Lines

I thought I would post a quick note about the the cache titeled "Porcupines and Power Lines". Tink and I did this cache this afternoon and we pick up some nasty hitch hikers while on this cache. I am not talking about picking up people needing a ride either. I am talking about ticks. We have never seen so many ticks in our entire life. Tink pulled off and counted 24 ticks from the time we started the hike into the cache until we got back to the car. Then when we got home we were still finding them. If your going to do this cache you might want to spray yourself with deet real good. We did not spray ourselves at all. I know we will spray ourselves on every cache not until the cold weather starts to set back in.

Default Ticks, ticks and more ticks!

It seems we've been picking ticks off of us this year no matter where we go. They seem worse than normal. We did the Fields of Old cache a few weeks ago and the kids were picking them off of themselve the whole way home. They easy each found a dozen on themselves.

We've also found this that they get in our car after we go caching. Several times my wife has gotten into the car the day after we've used it for geocache outing to find a tick crawling on a seat or the dashboard. I don;t remember ever having that happen before this year.

oo my....the car and tick thing happened to us also..I almost flipped driving down the road seeing that tick on my leg.

MsTeelee and myself found several on us through the day while caching west of Sebego after the event last weekend. That evening, I found two stuck to me ... ewwwwwwww!

[Shameless plug] If you really want to escape the ticks, come up to the Bangor area and do my caches - I have yet to get a tick on me in this area. [/Shameless Plug]

And I don't believe I've EVER seen a tick in my area. Lots of caches in the Route 201 corridor (Old Canada Road Scenic Byway):

http://www.byways.org/browse/byways/11510/

Thumbs down

Funny this tick subject should come up.I was down visiting with my son who lives in Sanford and I had mentioned that I hadn't ever seen a tick. We had been out to do a few caches in his area that day. We had gone out to eat at a local establishment called Mulligans and we were sitting at the table waiting for our dinners to arrive when my son picked one off from his leg. He showed it to me,kind of ugly looking thing. These are just wood ticks though and I don't think they carry the dreaded Lyme disease. The one that carries the Lyme is the deer tick,much smaller and dark black. Anyway like I said I hadn't seen one up until that time. I went out caching a few days later and went up to Round Top Mnt cache just a couple of miles from my own cache on French's Mnt in the Rome, Belgrade area. When I got home I'll be darned if I didn't have a couple crawling on my legs also. So I guess they are working their way of north. Yukkkkk!!!!

I agree ticks are plentiful this year. I have roamed the mountains North of Mt. Washington for 40+ yrs, never saw a tick until this year. Locals say the same thing. I have noticed they seem to show up further North every year. Southern coastal Maine and sothern NH have abundant ticks right now. I don't think any repellant will keep them off, although it might deter them from biting and attaching. Best advice is just check for them every time you go out caching. They really love tall grass and old cuttings with a lot of low bushes.
    YOP

Exclamation Lyme disease

Cachers Please be very careful and hunt yourself down and remove all ticks. USE REPELLANT
    Wear longpants tucked into high socks and long sleeves when weather permits. Carefully look yourself and PETS over and take a shower as soon as possible. Those nasty buggers will crawl under your clothes and hide. It is better to be a bit warm then suffer from Lyme disease.
    Yes, I amy be scaring some of you but my best friend has Lyme and she has become disabled and her whole life has changed. She is constantly taking meds, having blood tests, going to doctors, and just not feeling well.
    If you do get a bite mark the site and get to the doctor for antibiotics.
    The ticks have been found up here in the Northern parts of Maine also. so beware where ever you go.
    and with all of that keep on caching and geosmiles to all.
    Last edited by loonylady; 06-27-2004 at 06:40 PM. Reason: font color

Exclamation ticks

see this link for info on LYME and TICKS

http://www.state.me.us/dhs/boh/ddc/lyme.htm

We too have had our tick experience while caching in the Brunswick/Lisbon area. Earlier this spring we encountered so many we couln't count them and picked many off us during the day. We cleaned out the car the following day after finding one working its way into my arm. I checked at the hospital and they told me the tick was too big to carry Lyme disease. It's the small nymph tick we have to worry about. If you are bitten by one, keep it to show the doctor.