vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Porcupines and Power Lines

Default Insect repellent?

Chastise me if this is off topic (then move it where it belongs, please) but since we're on the subject of ticks I'm wondering what folks preferences are for insect repellent. I saw some repellent made in Corinna the other day called 'buzz-off'. The ingredients appear to be herbs and oils but the price was over $6 a bottle. As I type this and think about it that's not that bad. The bottle was about twice the size of Ben's 100 and if it is used like Ben's, the bottle would last a long time. I'm wondering if anyone has tried it. I've got to have something that works when I'm surveying because I can't run and hide in the truck...although I'd like to sometimes. I've been using Deep Woods Off lately but it sweats off pretty easily. Ben's or the other oils last longer but the DEET likes to make the plastic items I use sticky.

I have used Buzz-off for over 2 years now with great success. It is a soybean oil base so it does stay on. I also have tried another natural insect repellent which I am currently using that is water based so I reapply it more often. Both have been used with good results. I prefer the more natural ones to Deet but that is just my preference. And yes you have to be careful with Deet as I have heard people getting it on their GPS screens and they have been scratched by it.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

d’76 Guest

I used Buzz off for a while and I like it alot and I still have the bottle, However, I like the deep woods off that you can spray. It gets to the tough spots. The Buzz off works very well, also.

Dave

Default Not particularly fun

Words of wisdom I received from my physician today.......

1. A prescription for antibiotics to treat what is very likely a Lyme's disease rash
    2. A prescription for a topical ointment to help with the bull's eye rash itself
    3. A recommendation to use any bug repellent that contains DEET to minimize tick exposure

I'm not a fan of harsh chemicals like DEET, but if the alternative is another rash like this one, I'll opt to use it. As for the blasted little tick? Who knows where it is - it can take two weeks or more before a person becomes symptomatic. That is one of the biggest challenges of the whole issue. If the rash is all I have to deal with, I'll be thankful! In the meantime, continuous checking for ticks and happy walks on the trails while hunting for caches!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Judy,
    Good luck with the rash (hopefully not the Lyme rash) and keep us up to date. Do antibiotics at this early stage ward off problems if it is lyme?

Default Evolution of a suspicous rash - lol

Thanks Andy for your comment!

Following some additional reading tonight, I am even more convinced that the rash is related to Lyme Disease. Antibiotics are a typical course of action. Some recommend labwork as well to see if there are antibodies present, but it also looks like the results can be inaccurate - both early on and during later stages of the disease. It seems that if treated early on that the disease can be held at bay and/or eliminated completely. Perhaps jumping right into antibiotics is considered to be a bit extreme to some people, but it is an easy enough thing to do and makes the most sense to me given my situation. I'm not interested in waiting for lab results that may not even be accurate while this rash on my leg continues to grow in size and take on a life of it's own - LOL

In the meantime, it is DEET based bug repellant for me. I might stink when I am around, but I will have a greater chance of being rash-free

Happy caching!!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

BeachComber, I am hoping and praying that all is well. I for one would absolutely be doing the antibiotics. The best defense is a good offense.Take care , God bless.

Default Oh Beachie!

I hope things are better soon! Them stupid ticks!!!

Our field crews in the Pest Management Office (UMaine Cooperative Extension) informally field tested Buzz Off and quickly went back to DEET. While they liked the smell of Buzz Off it didn't seem to last very long and work all that well for them.

Bad as it smells, DEET is the best.

Being an ond "Army man", I know that the best way to avoid ticks is to wear high boots and "blouse" your pants over them (use a rubber band to hold the bant leg down".

Then use lots of DEET on the outside to make sure they don't crawl up!