vb:literal>

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Porcupines and Power Lines

DEET - Dont leave home without it!! Here is a page with a few products and the amount of deet in them. http://www.co.boulder.co.us/health/h...etProducts.htm

Good news and bad news.

I've pulled a tick off me when working outside all day in Presque Isle, Maine - back in 1992. Each species of tick is specific to a particular species of host. The one I got back then was specific to groundhogs. They are also not opposed to alternate hosts like humans (as long as the host is warm-blooded). That tick was attached to me, not simply crawling around.

Marsh Island, where the University of Maine at Orono is located has a very high population of deer because there is no hunting on the entire Island (Mostly Old Town and part of Orono). Consequently there is a population of deer ticks in the area. I am aware through some of my physican friends that several cases of lyme disease have been diagnosed and treated from people enjoying the University Forest there.

(Sorry to be so graphic but I have alot backgroun in parasites. Try to look at these creatures as another organism that has a world that requires hitchhiking - sort of like a travelbug. Even more specific; remember the organism inside the tick probably make the tick feel poorly as the tick is infected. See there; a parasite with a parasite inside it.)
    What; Me Worry?

Geez BC, how do you get into these messes? A reminder for all of us to be more careful! Take care of yourself.

Post Get well

Sorry and hope you are well soon. Thanks for the warning I will think twice about the little vermin now. It's DEET for me and my navigator.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Default : )

Thanks all for your kind words and support!

I have been feeling fine with the exception of the rash and that is well on it's way to going away. I won't spend much time worrying about it until/unless another symptom presents itself. At this point, I assume that antibiotics are doing the trick. Bruce's recommendation about the pants, boots, blousing, etc. is the best though I will fully admit, I have a hard time venturing out for a day of caching like that when it is hot out.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Another not on Lyme is that you can get it without ever getting the bullseye.
    Blazing Troll