vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip to Maine

Hybrid View

Question Trip to Maine

I know this is quite late to ask but I am leaving for Maine in the morning. Going to wedding in Kennebunk then on up the coast next week. Will be doing some camping and expect to get to Lubec. I expect to cross over to Campobello Island and maybe stay a night or 2. Now for the question. Should I expect any problem from customs going or coming if I have my cooler with food in it? I have heard that some foods are not permitted into Canada or the US.

Any other advice would also be welcome.

A house is not a home without a cat.

That would be a good question for Starzz or Blevesque or J Cyr as they live close to both borders.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

What are you bringing for food? I go to Canada atleast 3 times a month. Honestly, its not getting in you should be worried about... its getting back in. Even though you are a US citizen, this is where they have apt to search and make sure you are who you are.
    Don't be worried about it, you can't bring some foods like certain vegitables, but soda/camping foods your all set. I know alot of people that do grocery shopping in Canada/vice versa. Have a good, safe trip.
    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

What I consider the usual stuff. Snack foods, drinks, cereal, lunch meat, bread, hamburg, hot dogs, potatoes, fruit, vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabby
    What I consider the usual stuff. Snack foods, drinks, cereal, lunch meat, bread, hamburg, hot dogs, potatoes, fruit, vegetables.
    DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT bring fresh meats, fruit, vegetables and ESPECIALLY potatoes into Canada. We were in Campobello last week. If you plan on camping on the island, there is a very nice store there where you can get food for a day or two. You can even get Canadian beer, and US customs doesn't bother you if you're bring back a case or less.

We go to Canada several times a year - have already made 4 trips so far this year and will go again next month - and we have a lot of experience in the questions you'll be asked.

Even if you bring these things, and Canada customs doesn't ask, you'll probably be asked about them on the way back- ESPECIALLY potatoes, fresh meat and citrus fruit. And fireworks! LOL!

A couple of years ago, shortly after the mad cow disease scare broke, we almost had to give up our packaged, frozen pizza at US customs because it was a PEPPORONI pizza! LOL!

Another time we were caught with ONE tangerine in the cooler. To US Customs, it didn't make any difference that it had been in the cooler when we went into Canada, it was confiscated.

I can answer any specific questions you may have...

Smile

Had a great time. No trouble going or coming with customs. Camped at Cobskook(?sp) state park for 2 nights. Great views and weather so far. Am in Eastport for tonight. The free access at library is great. Posted a DNF on Shackfors today and will post all the finds when I get home. Maybe in a week or so. Really an interesting trip for me. Never been this far into Maine before. Thanks for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabby
    Had a great time. No trouble going or coming with customs. Camped at Cobskook(?sp) state park for 2 nights. Great views and weather so far. Am in Eastport for tonight.
    Where are you camping in Eastport? We like the Seaview Campground - nice facilities, right on the water, and they have CABLE TV hookups at the campsites! LOL!

I'm guessing that because of the problems with potato blight a few years ago there might be an issue bringing in raw potatoes.
    Nuffer

Quote Originally Posted by Nuffer
    I'm guessing that because of the problems with potato blight a few years ago there might be an issue bringing in raw potatoes.
    It's surprising the questions they ask you sometimes. Two or 3 times going into Canada we've been asked if we were bringing in any firewood! One time, while waiting to get to the agent, we noticed a car pulled over - unloading firewood!

Guess they were worried about bugs...

Smile It was a great trip

Thank you to all who gave me hints and tips for the trip. Wife and I had a great time. Two border crossings into and out of Canada without any problem at all. The weather was fantastic. Sunny every day but one. I could not have asked for more. Cobscook state park is the greatest, our site on the water provided great views. We had never been above Elsworth before so it was all new territory to us. We spent one day on Campobello Island and should have allowed more time. There were lots of things that I would still like to see and do (cache). I guess it is a good reason to return. Got as far north as Calais where we crossed into Canada to get to St. Andrews. Stopped at the blueberry festival in Machais on the way back down. Great event. Since I had to split time available with my wife I did not get to do all the caches I would have liked but did manage 8 in NH, 13 in ME, and 9 in New Brunswick. We just love Maine and with children living there get up often.