Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Trip to Maine

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Where are you camping in Eastport? We like the Seaview Campground - nice facilities, right on the water, and they have CABLE TV hookups at the campsites! LOL!
    Being right on the water sounds nice, but cable at the campsites . . . that's just not right. Personally, my idea of real camping is to find a remote out-of-the-way spot with a nice privy and running water . . . the more primitive the better. That said, a) I have been known to camp at state parks with the showers and after a day of hiking or riding they're kind of nice and b) if everyone had the same likes and desires as me this world would be a pretty scary place.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    Being right on the water sounds nice, but cable at the campsites . . . that's just not right. Personally, my idea of real camping is to find a remote out-of-the-way spot with a nice privy and running water . . . the more primitive the better. That said, a) I have been known to camp at state parks with the showers and after a day of hiking or riding they're kind of nice and b) if everyone had the same likes and desires as me this world would be a pretty scary place.
    Thirty years ago, we were rough camping in the Austrian alps with nothing but a tent for shelter and a spring for water. I think we probably did have toilet paper.

    But the years take their toll, and we've got a pop-up camper - no air conditioning though. If I had to sleep on the ground now I don't think I'd get any sleep! And I do so much like to stay dry! LOL!

    And although we'll take advantage of the facilities available, we're content with sitting under the stars with an old radio show on the cd player for entertainment.

    We camped through northern Quebec last summer - 700 miles north - and loved it. (Can I show you pictures of the fish I caught? LOL!) We'll probably go to Labrador next summer. Several days of NO facilities.

    You'd like to live where we do: preactically nothing to the north except paper company lands. We love to sit on the deck in the evening and hear absolutely NOTHING.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Niskayuna, NY
    Posts
    601

    Smile

    Switched from tent to Motel in Eastport(Motel east). Have just crossed from Calais to Canada and are headed to St Andrews.




    A house is not a home without a cat.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Winslow, Maine
    Posts
    22

    Default

    I'm guessing that because of the problems with potato blight a few years ago there might be an issue bringing in raw potatoes.
    Nuffer

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffer
    I'm guessing that because of the problems with potato blight a few years ago there might be an issue bringing in raw potatoes.
    It's surprising the questions they ask you sometimes. Two or 3 times going into Canada we've been asked if we were bringing in any firewood! One time, while waiting to get to the agent, we noticed a car pulled over - unloading firewood!

    Guess they were worried about bugs...

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Niskayuna, NY
    Posts
    601

    Smile It was a great trip

    Thank you to all who gave me hints and tips for the trip. Wife and I had a great time. Two border crossings into and out of Canada without any problem at all. The weather was fantastic. Sunny every day but one. I could not have asked for more. Cobscook state park is the greatest, our site on the water provided great views. We had never been above Elsworth before so it was all new territory to us. We spent one day on Campobello Island and should have allowed more time. There were lots of things that I would still like to see and do (cache). I guess it is a good reason to return. Got as far north as Calais where we crossed into Canada to get to St. Andrews. Stopped at the blueberry festival in Machais on the way back down. Great event. Since I had to split time available with my wife I did not get to do all the caches I would have liked but did manage 8 in NH, 13 in ME, and 9 in New Brunswick. We just love Maine and with children living there get up often.




    A house is not a home without a cat.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabby
    Stopped at the blueberry festival in Machais on the way back down.
    You didn't get in on the blueberry pie eating contest did you?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Niskayuna, NY
    Posts
    601

    Smile

    No I did not get into the pie eating contest but I did eat a piece of blueberry pie. I just love pie made from those wild Maine blueberries.




    A house is not a home without a cat.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabby
    No I did not get into the pie eating contest but I did eat a piece of blueberry pie. I just love pie made from those wild Maine blueberries.
    Is there anything other than wild Maine blueberries . . . those other so-called blueberries are simply tasteless Frankenstein-like freaks of nature!
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    Is there anything other than wild Maine blueberries . . . those other so-called blueberries are simply tasteless Frankenstein-like freaks of nature!
    The answer is NO......

Similar Threads

  1. The Expeditionary Team trip report
    By attroll in forum Hides, Hunts and History
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-11-2004, 08:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •