vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maine caching

Thanks for the clarification about GPSFUN. I don't know where I got the idea that he was from down south. It is much more reassuring that others here have met him and that he is from New England and at least familiar with Maine. I guess now that I am actively caching again I need to get to one of the events to meet some of my fellow Maine cachers.

Default Gpsfun

I had the same thoughts when gpsfun started to approve my caches, that he was from down south somewhere. But I have had many email conservations with him and he was VERY polite and respectable to my questions / needs.

I could not make it to the last event where he visited but maybe in the future GPSFUN can make it to another one and I can catch up with him there.

I too have great respect for him and I'm glad he's our area approver!!!

Team Teebow

I've recently moved back to Maine, but when I moved out ten years ago, GeoCaching did not exist, so I'm a complete newbie to caching in Maine.

In Kentucky, we had a lot of film-canister micros, and a lot of people liked them. Of course, when you get into Lexington and other relatively large cities, it's really tough to get good containers, and counterproductive since they'll tend to get stolen frequently, so low replacement effort and cost are a must.

In Tennesee (where I never cached, but friends of mine did), pillboxes were the most popular container, and the area was heavy with 1/1 micros, and numbers ruled.

A lot of areas provide groups of easy caches for those that take numbers seriously, and believe me there are a good number of people who want nothing more than the numbers.

That's the really cool, and sometimes frustrating, part about GeoCaching. Everyone wants something different out of it.

I don't think Maine really has the urban areas, except maybe in a few of the larger cities, for a concentrated "film can micro" barrage like you'll find in other states. If film cans are used here, I suspect it would be in areas where the cache is less important than the place the cache leads you to.

We're blessed with our Maine caches. When we started geocaching we didn't really know what to expect. Today met every expectation we might have ever had or hoped for. Today proved why caching in Maine is so special. Three great caches, perfect weather, very special scenery and a lunch that was gourmet quality.

"Cache on the Rocks" GC7BBB at the end of Pemaquid Point south of Damariscotta had views out over granite ledges, lobster boats working right in front of you, ripe raspberries, warm sun and ospreys overhead. Best place to park for this one is at N43 50.109 W69 30.830. Road to the cache is lined with old time Maine camps with the occasional McMansion. Middle of a blizzard these are the scenes that will stay in your mind and make you stay in the state.

"Born on the Fourth of July" GCGD6X is at a State of Maine Historic site at Colonial Pemaquid. We paid the $2 a head fee to get into Fort William Henry and then the museum but you would not have to pay the fee to get to the cache. The State took a lot of time and effort to put up interesting artifacts from archeological digs. A woman state park ranger talked on occupation of the fort and why it never survived for long - one example was the water supply was outside the fort! Views here were great and the cache was well hidden and had nice contents.

Lunch??? We'd packed sandwiches but got tempted by "The Contented Sole" on the grounds of Fort William Henry and beside the Pemaquid Harbor pier. Oh my - there went the eating plan. Bisque filled with lobster, crab and shrimp in a thick cream base with butter. Fried shrimp with not a touch of grease. Salad with apples, bacon, grapes and blue cheese. We shared the meal but probably consumed enough calories for four. Too stuffed for the raspberry pie thank heaven. A bit pricey but well well worth the money. We asked what Inn was across the harbor as it was a new, Maine shingle style, huge building with perfectly landscaped grounds. Waitress laughed and said it was the new summer home of the CEO for Duke Power Co. <G> Had to be 10-12,000 sf.

We waddled on to the next cache and finally got a bit of a walk to burn a few calories. "Shell Game" GCG6Y2 was at the Whaleback Shell Midden state historic site. Good informational plaques and the site really made you think about early American Indians and how they survived. Years of summering on the river, eating oysters and throwing the shells in a pile - all 30 feet high at one time.

I doubt we would ever have walked to these sites if not for geocaching. We'll skip the phone pole micros and thank all the geocachers who place such interesting caches in Maine.

Anne and Joe
    TwoMaineiacs / Anne and Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Slate
    I guess now that I am actively caching again I need to get to one of the events to meet some of my fellow Maine cachers.
    This Saturday. Deer Isle. There are at least 15 caches on the island, so you can have a good experience, meet a lot of cachers, and have a lot of fun.

I love to kayak and I would have liked to attend on Saturday, but unfortunately I have other commitments that day. In September, I will miss The Last Cache Bashe of Summer too, because I will be out in California that weekend, hopefully finding out what caching out in Southern CA is really like. So far it doesn't look too promising, there are 20 caches within a mile of our hotel and they are nearly all micos or virtuals. Hopefully, I will be pleasantly surprised when we get there, but it will probably be worth my time to look for some interesting ones before we head out there.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    This Saturday. Deer Isle. There are at least 15 caches on the island, so you can have a good experience, meet a lot of cachers, and have a lot of fun.
    Dang I wish I could make that. Unfortunately, I'm flying out Sunday for Kentucky for a weeklong trip. After our big move just a couple of weeks ago, convincing my wife to take a 3+ hour drive with our daughter just isn't in the cards.

My mother lives up in Brooklin, not far from Deer Isle, and that would have been a perfect trip if work hadn't gotten in the way.

Oh, well, maybe the September one, and if not maybe we'll put one together ourselves in Topsham. Octoberfest, anyone?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hoys
    Oh, well, maybe the September one, and if not maybe we'll put one together ourselves in Topsham. Octoberfest, anyone?
    Octoberfest? Anyone will tell you, that a responsible Maine geocacher would never Octoberfest. I on the other hand, have never been responsible. I may have to wake up " the weasel " , count me in. Mmmmmmmm, Octoberfest.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt
    Octoberfest? Anyone will tell you, that a responsible Maine geocacher would never Octoberfest. I on the other hand, have never been responsible. I may have to wake up " the weasel " , count me in. Mmmmmmmm, Octoberfest.
    Ah, Octoberfest! We have been to the REAL Octoberfest. An experience we'll never forget.

If someone holds an Octoberfest event, PLEASE make sure that it is within walking distance to a good motel...

I am in for an Octoberfest. Lets start planning one now. We can get more people down this way if we start planning now. There are a lot more geocachers in the southern part of Maine then there are in the Bangor area. We just need to get them to come out an play.
    Blazing Troll