vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back in Maine, finally...

Default Back in Maine, finally...

After a journey of over ten years, the Hoys are back in Maine. Of course, since GeoCaching didn't exist when we moved away, so we are complete newbies to GeoCaching in Maine.

I got my first introduction to GeoCaching in New Hampshire about 7 years ago, and I was hooked instantly. I moved to Kentucky about three years ago and got involved in the formation of the GeoCachers of Kentucky, and ended up as their President and Webmaster until recently. I'm still serving as their Webmaster for the moment.

My wife, Melissa, and I have a three year old daughter named Mathea (mah-tay-ah). Mathea was born in New Hampshire and lived there for about a month and a half, but I was laid off about 4 days after she was born, so we moved to Kentucky for a new job and a new adventure. We've been married for 15 years and we've moved 9 times during that period. Guess you could call us nomads.

Our goal has always been to get back to Maine, and we've finally managed it via a telecommuting arrangement. I'm still working for a company in Lexington, Kentucky, telecommuting three weeks out of each month and flying down for one week. We're living in Topsham, Maine, and my mother lives up in Brooklin (near Blue Hill). Hopefully, this will be our last move for a long time.

If anyone wants some background on us, the following sites will give you an idea, and a few pictures.

Our page: http://www.nmhoy.net
    Mathea's Album: http://www.mathea.us

I look forward to eventually finding the time to get a few caches around here, and maybe come up with some interesting ideas for caches to place. Gotta settle in and figure out what works here, and see if there are any ideas from Kentucky that haven't made it here yet that people might enjoy.

I'm also willing to help out on the web page here and there if assistance is needed, though from the look of your site things are in pretty good shape.

If anyone has a travel bug that needs a big jump, let me know. I can take it down to Kentucky (as long as it's something that can be carried onto a plane without being snagged by Airport Security, of course) and drop it off there during one of my monthly trips.

Default Welcome....

As you can tell by my username...I have a special affinity for the Bluegrass State. I was born there (Campbellsville) and my Mom currently lives there. Welcome back to Maine.

Welcome back to the fold!
    Silva, of the forest

Beneath you, feel the Earth.
    Above you, feel the Sky.
    Around you, feel the presence and the Power
    of the Trees!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass Gyrl
    As you can tell by my username...I have a special affinity for the Bluegrass State. I was born there (Campbellsville) and my Mom currently lives there. Welcome back to Maine.
    Thanks.

Kentucky is a great state, and I'm glad to have lived there for a few years, but it's not home.

Glad to have you back in our beautiful state once again. Try and make one of our event caches soon and you'll get to meet a lot of us Mainiacs. Just one small forethought though,we don't have much of an affinity for the so-called film canister micro that seems to be the big thing in the Tennesee and Kentucky area but welcome new ideas of course. There are so many beautiful places in this state of ours so we appreciate the nice little hike to that unknown view or special place that geocaching brings us to. Why bother with the Walmart lampost micro when there are so many beautiful places to explore? Remember our saying : Geocaching Maine....The way caching should be. Happy Caching Haffy6 John Hafenecker
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    GJust one small forethought though,we don't have much of an affinity for the so-called film canister micro that seems to be the big thing in the Tennesee and Kentucky area but welcome new ideas of course.
    I'm getting that impression.

In Kentucky, there seems to be a somewhat larger population that "caches the numbers" - for whom a high find count seems to be of its own value. The "Quantity over Quality" crowd. People with thousands of finds are pretty common down there, and a daily run of 100-250 caches can be accomplished with some planning and a lot of caffeine. From the little I've seen of Maine caching, or at least those that post here, that doesn't seem to be as much the case. That's cool.

On the other hand, geocaches are actively discouraged in a lot of areas of Kentucky, and the rules are pretty complex, so micros and virtuals are used a lot more in areas where land managers get mad at anything that "could be mistaken for a bomb" or whatnot. KY, YN, and OH also have a higher urban density, which of course invites or even requires micros in many situations, for concealment and cheap replacement.

I'll find a few and see what works around here before placing, of course. I have a few inventive things Kentuckians have done with the old plastic film canister and other micros that might come as a bit of a surprise, and I have some ideas for some much larger, much more interesting non-micro containers that simply weren't possible in areas where 200 acres of undeveloped, approved, cacheable land was considered huge.

Micros are also used in another area in Kentucky - scenic caches where the point of the cache is to get you somewhere, and the logbook only needs to be there, not fancy. Kind of a one-step-better-than-a-virtual, especially since the Kentucky approvers do not, in general, like virtuals, so getting a micro approved is much easier than a virtual.

But if you look at my logs, you'll see that I also have little time to cache in the first place, so don't worry that I'll start a major bombardment of film cans. First, I have no desire to place them because I'm not a fan of them where they don't fit. Second, I don't have time. Most of my contributions in Kentucky have been by doing "community building" on the Geocky website.

Welcome home.

Welcome Back!

Quote Originally Posted by hoys

In Kentucky, there seems to be a somewhat larger population that "caches the numbers" - for whom a high find count seems to be of its own value. The "Quantity over Quality" crowd.
    Hey! Don't get the wrong idea - numbers ARE important to us too, but it's the number of QUALITY finds that impress us. If you've found a couple of hundred caches in Maine, you've really burned some gas and done some hiking.

Oh - and WELCOME BACK! LOL!

welcome back. i'm looking forward to meeting you sometime in the future. happy caching!
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"