vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Journalist Looking for Help

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    What paper is that? I don't believe it's been mentioned.
    I don't think I mentioned it as a matter of fact. Village Soup Citizen . . . www.villagesoup.com . . . I'll let everyone know if and when it goes on-line. Some of my stuff is posted on line and other stuff just ends up in the print version.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I responded to Mr. Sherwood's request for assistance by telephoning and leaving a message for him at work. He didn't have the courtesy to call back. Too bad; I had a couple of names of "pros" to give him which might have added to the quality of his up-and-coming article.
    Nuffer

Talking You have reached.... I'm out right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuffer
    I responded to Mr. Sherwood's request for assistance by telephoning and leaving a message for him at work. He didn't have the courtesy to call back. Too bad; I had a couple of names of "pros" to give him which might have added to the quality of his up-and-coming article.
    Maybe he has caught the bug, and is out caching. hehehehe
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Yes I emailed him to and have not heard back yet.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by Nuffer
    His article was probably already written when you called. In fact, it's the headline article on page D1 of today's Sentinel (should be in the KJ as well).

The author had already interview someone named Adam Cates of Solon (whom I don't know, and having recently been a Solon Selectman for 6 years, I know almost eveyone in town), and Cates is featured in the article.

RULOST2? and I are also mentioned, and although we've only found a few more than 500 caches, have cached in 4 states and 4 Canadian provinces, we probably know about caching enough to "add to the quality of his... article".

When I spoke to him the author also intended to interview Haffy6 (who, sadly, has only about 400 caches to his credit, so I'm not sure if he could have "added to the wquality of the ... article), but I don't know if the author made contact with him.

Read the article. I think it's a good one, regardless of the absence of the views of "pros" in the article.

(I've checked today's"Online Sentinel", and the article isn't online as far as I can tell. Maybe it will show up on MaineToday.com - I don't see it there either)

I had only found 70 when I contacted a newspaper journalist as a result of a travel bug I had found. A nice story about my geocaching treks was featured as the lead story in the Lewiston Sun Journal. I guess since I hadn't found too many at the time, maybe it is the quality of the story and who it is about and not how many you've found.
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall.

Default Thanks

Hello-
    It's Dave Sherwood again; from the Kennebec Journal. The article was complete on Tuesday of last week (we typically work 5-7 days in advance). I was away for the long weekend and am just returning home and checking my email now.
    I do have a number of messages from people on this website, but was only able to speak with Bruce Hills, as he replied within the hour. Thanks to everyone for the great response, though.
    The article was intended to be an introduction for non-cachers. Adam Cates does not claim to be an expert geocacher, just a guide (actually from Embden, though his guide service is listed in Solon) who instructs people in the use of GPS and map and compass. He was very helpful and I recommend his services to anyone.
    Thanks again for the help, and I hope you will all keep me in mind for future, more in-depth articles on geocaching. Feel free to email anytime at dsherwood@centralmaine.com.
    Dave Sherwood

It's too bad you couldn't have just posted a few questions on this site and you would have gotten more than enough info. Can you get someone down at the paper to put the article online for those who don't get the Sentinel or the KJ? That would be a great service.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Ironically, RULOST2? and I came out of WalMart in Eastport yesterday (Sunday) to find a note on the car from a reporter from the Ellsworth American who had noticed our GOCACHE plate and wanted to talk to us as she was writing an article on geocaching for her paper! LOL!

And speaking of the article in the Sentinel/KJ, did anyone who reqad the article notice that the reporter listed the TB number when talking about the TB. Sheesh! He should have had a geocacher proof the article for technical/ettiquette errors before publication! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    And speaking of the article in the Sentinel/KJ, did anyone who reqad the article notice that the reporter listed the TB number when talking about the TB. Sheesh! He should have had a geocacher proof the article for technical/ettiquette errors before publication!
    Has the article already been in the KJ??? I haven't seen it yet? WHat day was it in?
    Last edited by attroll; 08-22-2005 at 12:16 PM.