vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo boxes

Default Ammo boxes

I am getting ready to hide my first cache and I want to put it in an ammo box. Can someone recommend where to get an inexpensive ammo box?
    Blazing Troll

Default Cheaper Than Dirt

I got mine at cheaperthandirt.com. They sell 6 of them for $19.97.

Link:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/p...K1VJHR20N19V95

For some time, Marden's has had the .30 caliber boxes for $3. Thats where I got the two I camoflauged for the event (shown below for those that didn't make it there to see them). There are also two army surplus stores up here I have bought my larger ones from, one in Newport, and one in Brewer (http://www.mainemilitary.com). They are more expensive, but no shipping is involved. Does anyone know if southern Maine has any other army surplus stores?

Incidently, the cheapest place I have found for the camo paint is Wal-Mart. $2.20 a can IIRC, and works great, on ammo boxes or tupperware or whatever you have. I've found the best way to prepare ammo boxes for the paint is to wipe them down with Acetone (Fingernail polish remover). Hmm, maybe I should post a tutorial here sometime

Yeah I bought 4 of them down in Sanford one time when visiting my son .They were at Mardens too for 3 bux. Where did you get the
    geocache stickers for them or was that a stencil or something?

And while you're at it,how do you post pictures and stuff on this page anyway?

The box on the left is a custom stencil I made out of lexan (cardboard would work, too, but I'm a bit of an over-doer). Once you camo the box, just set it on, then paint in, then I offset just a little and use another color, gives a 3-D effect.

The box on the right I used those magnetic letters little kids use on the fridge or wherever. The difference in using thse is you need to paint the areas the letters go the color you want, then stick the letters on and paint around them.

I used bits of local foliage to cover up areas to do the rest of the camo effect.

To post pictures here, the pictures need to be somewhere on the internet. I just upload mine to my web space. Then you just add a link to the picture using the icon on the toolbar in the edit box.

Thanks Dad,your threads always seem to be very informative and your use of links and pictures always make it nice for us non tech types. Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Does anyone know if southern Maine has any other army surplus stores?
    There is one on Maine Mall Road next to Joe Jones Ski and Sport(across from Walmart) called The Army Barracks. There is also another one on Rt.16 north of the light in Conway, N.H. that is pretty good.
    Last edited by Pooh and friends; 07-05-2004 at 12:21 AM. Reason: addition to post

I am happy to say that I have one of brdad's ammon boxes (the one on the left) from the August BBQ. I haven't placed it yet because I am taking the time to make it a really great cache and hiding spot.

Post Portland does

There's a surplus store on Congress Street in down town Portland as well. Plus a Marden's on outer Brighton Avenue in Portl