vb:literal>

Thread: RE: How many caches

Default RE: How many caches

I saw some discussion about how many caches a GC-er should put out in relation to the number that he/she finds at the forum at geocaching.com. In the short time I've been caching and checking out this site I've noticed that some GC-ers have many finds, but very few hidden caches. Of course, the debate at geocaching.com doesn't take into the factor of Maine's vast area, but I was wondering if there is an unofficial guideline . . . doesn't quite seem fair to not contribute to the "sport" by just finding and never hiding. On the other hand keeping a cache clean and updated can be quite a task as well when you factor in the geographic factors.

So is there a good ratio? For every 20-25 finds a cache should be set out? 50:1? 100:1? Or should it be totally arbitrary?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

d’76 Guest

I have around 140 something and only one hide. I think it needs to be experiance based. I think the cacher should know what is a good cache and a bad cache. I did not want to hurry out and hide a cache then miss something very important. I think it is essential for a cache to be of quality and what better way than to have a few finds under your belt. Your cache doesnot want to be the one that gets bitched about. I would say put lots of thought into your cache before just dropping it anywhere. Where is just anywhere you ask? Well that can only be defined with experiance. The greatest caches are the well thought out caches. For example Stacked on Stillwater, Battleship, Kayaker Labrinth, Island Hoppers and several others but it's late they will come to me. THere are many many many more out there but I haven't found those yet. I haven't found Island Hopppers yet either but can not wait to try it. I have heard good things about it. So back to my point, There is no 100:1, 25:1, but on the other hand, Nobody knows how many finds Diggler has but he has at least 3 hids that I know of and maybe no finds.

So please don't hide caches just to have the hidden cache numbers make them meaniful and worth the trip. I think people in Maine expect more from a cache than just dumped in a light pole at a fast food joint.

Dave

I don't think there should be any guideline per se. I know of some cachers who have many caches and not put put out any. Does that make it wrong,I don't think so.There are a few cachers who have put out caches and have never been caching and they are some of the better caches in the state.Remember you have to maintain them in a proper way so if you get too many out then the maintenance issue comes into play. Myself I have over 300 finds and only 4 hides but they in my opinion are quality caches and the comments that I have received about them seem to concur. I would rather put out just a few caches and make them a quality cache,with a view or a nice hike or have some special signifcance. Just my thoughts.By the way you did an excellent job with your first cache. I visited it today and the view was what made the cache for me.I'm not into trading items much but I do like to collect signature items if I find them in a cache.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I don't think there should be a connection between thr two. What I do think:

1. A person should not hide his first one until he has found enough that he can be confident it will be a good quality cache.

2. A person should not hide a cache until he is confident he is going to stick with caching for an extended period of time and not lose interest.

3. A person should not hide more caches then he/she is capable of maintaining, nor should he hide one in a location he is not capable or willing to visit to maintain.

4. If a person has caches which he is allready not maintaining, He should not hide any other cache until those caches are maintained, adopted, or removed.

5. Some people should just not hide caches.

I agree with Dave1976, Haffy6 and Brdad. Ratios are not as important as making sure placed caches are well thoughout and maintained.

Thanks to all for all the great caches I've visited and those caches I plan on visiting!!!!

Personally, I could care less if people hunt for caches without placing them, some people may not be that confident, or maybe they don't have the time. I have about 130 finds to date, and have found a wide varity, but it is evident that some people should have a bit of experiance before placing them. I have placed 6, and in each case, I checked and rechecked and rechecked co-ords and clue to be sure that if anyone didn't find them, that it wouldn't be my fault. To lay out a good cache is more than walking in the woods, droping it at the base of a tree, covering it with a couple sticks, and taking a quick reading. To lay out a realy good cache takes a fair amount of time. What irks though, me are the people with no caching experiance at all, that presume they can do it. I feel that if you want to place caches you should be a player of the game. I never thought of placing one myself untill I had found about 50. Just my thoughts, John

I agree with you all- hunting has nothing to do with placing caches, and it shouldn't. If people were required to place a cache after so many finds, you would end up like Lakeland FL with a cache on every lamppost in town. Or some may just quit logging their finds. I think the most important thing about placing a cache has to be a person's sincere desire to promote the sport in a positive way. Each cache placed should be something special and should acheive a specific goal, whether it be a special experience to get to the cache, the location, or the cache itself. I have placed two caches myself and have given a lot of thought to both. Because I am new to the sport, I asked an experienced cacher to check out my coords and cache before I posted it. I get nice feedback from that one thanking me for giving people a reason to experience the nature trail. The other cache went AWOL within the first week, but I replaced it because I really wanted an easy kid friendly cache in the area. I specifically put "do not leave TBugs here" because it is a high muggle area and may become missing again. I check on it regularly and if it should become a problem cache, I would remove it immediately. People placing caches should set an example - place the kind of cache you would love to find.