vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RE: Travel Bug question

Default RE: Travel Bug question

Just wanted to check in to see if this is OK geo-caching etiquette . . . is it OK to re-visit a cache with the express purpose of picking up a travel bug (average type or the fabled White Jeep)? I kind of enjoy picking up TBs and distributing them and just wanted to find out if this is cool or if the prevailing thought is that you should only pick up TBs at new cache sites. As always thanks for the input.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I think that it is fine etiquette to revisit a cache to grab a bug as long as you intend to help it with it's goals and move it along quickly. Bad TB etiquette is holding onto one for a long time or never logging it at all. I'm amazed at how many TBs end up missing. How hard is it to coprehend the idea that if your not going to log the TB, leave it in the cache.

I say, go for it. I have one cache that I visit from time to time just to move TB's. It doesn't get many visits, and I hate to see TB's sit in a cache for a long time, so I'll go and "liberate" them occasionally.

And since the owner of the cache I'm thinking of hasn't even been online at geocaching.com for over a year, they've probably abandoned it.

But having said that, I echo Slate: move the TB along as soon as possible - preferably in line with the owners desires for the bug.

Default Do what the owner wants first!

I try to so what the owner wants. Usually, this is very obvious. TB's often have some sort of goal which should be followed.

But, in practice, there are two parties involved: the TB owner and the cache owner. Some cache owners add restrictions on the TBs in their cache. They make requirements such as if you take a TB, leave a TB. If the TB's goal is to win a race and cache owner's goal is entice visitors by always having a supply of TBs, then someone is going to be disappointed.

So, I say: Go for it!

It's definately okay...just make sure you post a "note" instead of a "find" when you visit the cache the 2nd...or 3rd...or 4th....time!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass Gyrl
    It's definately okay...just make sure you post a "note" instead of a "find" when you visit the cache the 2nd...or 3rd...or 4th....time!
    That at least I took for granted . . . but boy, oh boy . . . wouldn't it make those numbers go up fast to log find after find, huh?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    That at least I took for granted . . . but boy, oh boy . . . wouldn't it make those numbers go up fast to log find after find, huh?
    I'm surprised that geocaching.com allows you to log a cache more than once.

One flaw in the system...

TBs are one of my most favorite parts of geocaching. It is fascinating to see them move around the world. One of the first TBs we ever found and moved had a goal of going around the world. We stuck it in th Portland Jetport TB hotel. The TB made it to Japan and back to the US in ONE WEEK!

My main "gripe" about TBs is that most TB owners don't tag their TBs with goal they want to accomplish. We picked up a TB in a western Maine cache today with no note on what it wanted to do. When logging it, found out he wanted to go to many states. Fortunately the brand new geocachers we went to cache with had never found or had a TB. We logged the TB into the next cache found and they took it out. They are headed to Michigan next week and plan to take the TB with them so the goal will get met. But how simple to somehow put a tag on the TB as to what it wants to do.

A cache friend gave us a TB tag for Joe's retirement. We're still working up its goals and how to tag the thing. Hopefully it will be let loose at the fall cache gathering in Hamden.

Anne
    TwoMaineiacs / Anne and Joe

If you can help a particular bug reach its goal, definately revisit that cache. The worst thing for a TB owner is if their TB is not moving around. Sitting at someone's home for months is very disheartening. My 2 TBs are not getting much action even though they have definite goals that should be easy for anyone to help along. I am about to send out 3 more TBs in my dinosuar family. I am planning on bringing one to Maine in Oct. Any ideas for a good cache?

Default Shameless plug....

You could leave it my adopted Dinosaur Cache! There were some TB problems there in the past, but none since i did some cache maintenance.