vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The American Folk Festival on the Bangor Waterfront

Talking Saturday

Sounds like a plan. I will be coming up and picking up a cache or two along the way. Anyone want to be my navigator? Math skills required. hehehe
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Well, employing math skills is more appealing that singing Kumbaya - lol - but I will plan to take my own vehicle as I am not sure what time I will be hitting the road. Caching on the way may or may not happen for me - not sure yet.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

I'll be your navigator. As long as I don't have to do any Math!"

I'll be working at the firehouse on sunday, so I hope you guys don't get out of hand in the beer tent.
    Hopefully going to get down there Saturday night to ENJOY the event for awhile.

Default All day and night...

If it's like the last two years I will be there most all day Saturday. The time we get together is up to you. Get me on my cell. Most of you have it and if you don't PM me and I'll get it to you by Saturday morning.
    Happy Trails!

I was going hiking this weekend but it looks likes those plans may fall through. I lost my hiking partner I think. So I am trying to talk Tink into going Saturday. But she is trying to talk me into the Windsor fair.

So can someone explain whats goes on at this festival I have never been to one?
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    I was going hiking this weekend but it looks likes those plans may fall through. I lost my hiking partner I think. So I am trying to talk Tink into going Saturday. But she is trying to talk me into the Windsor fair.

So can someone explain whats goes on at this festival I have never been to one?
    Well there is a beer tent, but the real attraction is the music. There's three to four bands performing at any one time at four separate locations along the river front. The folk music, as mentioned earlier, is not Peter, Paul and Mary singing about "Puff the Magic Dragon" but rather music heard from around the world. My main thing is Celtic and this year they've got Danu playing -- and they're not a bad group . . . just not one of my favorites. They've also got Rhythm and Blues, bluegrass, Cajun, Rockabilly, ska, Swedish fiddlers, French Canadian music (which to me is pretty darn close to being as good as Celtic), jazz, flamenco and a whole bunch of other music . . . some of which you may never have heard.

In the past there has also been a great number of vendors serving some traditional fair like food, but the real fun is trying out new food that you might never have experienced such as real Greek gyros, Korean chicken, Indian curry and rice, Thai chicken kabobs, lamb shish kabobs, etc.

During the last three years there were also display tents where folks would show traditional folk work being done . . . such as how cedar shakes were made by hand, Penobscot basket making, etc. I don't know if they're doing that this year or not though.

There's also a craft/vendor tent . . . but don't look for a whole lot of cheesy Christmas ornaments made out of popsicle sticks and clothespins . . . there's authentic bird carvings, turned wood bowls, hand-made wooden chairs, braided rugs, quilts, stained glass, hand-made clothing, pottery, etc. This is classy stuff.

The three years that I went in the past for the National Folk Festival were actually a lot of fun if you like music . . . there's something there for just about everyone's musical tastes . . . even if you are a traditional rock and roller or a country fan chances are you might suddenly find yourself surprised to actually enjoy listening to some authentic cajun/creole tunes, celtic melodies or even some far-flung, never-heard of music from Afghanistan.

For more info Rick here's the link:

http://www.americanfolkfestival.com/...php?cat_id=222
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I was a counselor at Camp Pondicherry for many many years. It was my second home. Wow it brings back memories..................we sang for hours. Want to hear a watermelon song while it is still summer????

Talking Why not?!

Quote Originally Posted by covefarm
    I was a counselor at Camp Pondicherry for many many years. It was my second home. Wow it brings back memories..................we sang for hours. Want to hear a watermelon song while it is still summer????
    I can't remember all the other songs--something about a moose (complete with making antlers), lot's of others--it was pretty funny--one lone male voice--It wasn't a bad time, though, and I did learn some things. We did baking in a cardboard box oven, and cooked sausage and eggs on our burner buddies--also the arm-pit fudge was excellent.

We're taking our Cadette troop camping on Mt. Desert in October--plan to do a cache or two with them if time allows.

Well for you possible American Folk Festival folks I can tell you two things. A) It's 2:45 p.m. and I've just got back from inspecting the festival and it looks just as good as last year if not better. Looks like there's a lot of interesting food booths for those with daring palates (or not-so daring palates) and the craft tent is pretty impressive looking -- saw some hand braided rugs and wood carved birds that would look mighty fine in my house and B) The bands have just begun warming up and it looks like there's some good talent -- there was a rockabilly band (Wanda Jackson) that was rocking . . . didn't last very long unfortunately.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."