vb:literal>

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How Much is Gas Where You LIve?

Talking How to save gas....

Gas is cheaper on the MASS Pike, I'm driving down there tomorrow to fill up to save some $$

I think one of my co-workers might be right . . . he predicted that the price would go up to $3 plus (he actually figured around $3.50) and then would slowly drop back to a little less than $3 and he said we would be happy to pay that price and promptly forget how only a year or so ago we were paying $1.60 or so for a gallon of gas.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I thought this was funny.

Sue
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuelgauge.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	48  

I don't get it. The news says crude is now trading below $65 a barrel, which is pre-pre Katrina levels (didn't we tease $70 a barrel even before Katrina?). So...shouldn't gas be back to below $2.50!?!? I'm sure not seeing it!

I love the gas gauge picture!

I had been reading and hearing prior to the arrival of Katrina that there has been little to explain the increasing costs of gas in most recent months. Theories were beginning to develop that placed the blame on the consumer - "If we are willing to pay for it and the increasing cost doesn't slow us down, then there iss no apparent reason for the price of gas not to continue to rise." I'm not sure how accurate this statement is, but it warrants consideration. I'm not implying that we shold slow down, bur perhaps that we are being taken advantage of. Katrina was the first real reason I had heard for the prices rising. Even then, the refineries that were affected only produced 10% of the gas available. Though the area affected is a significant portal for importing into the country, again it is only a portion.

It is amazing to me how the price cannot be going down more quickly than what we are seeing.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Well, according to the "gas primer" at the link I provided before, most gas in a region comes from the same refinery - regardless of brand. Which undoubtedly means that in central Maine, at least, it comes from the Irving refinery in St, John, NB via the distribution terminal at Searsport, ME.

So.....

Very little of Irving's oil comes from US sources. Much of it from Canadian sources, and the rest from overseas.

So.....

What does the high price of gas in central Maine have to do with the refineries on the gulf coast? None of our gas comes from there in the first place!

Down here in Maryland it's around $3.25 to around $3.45.

Beachcomber brings up an interesting point. I used to poo-poo those mass emails encouraging people to not buy gas on a certain day. Now, I am beginning to think it should be considered/encouraged. Bill O'Reilly on Fox (whether you love 'im or hate 'im) has recommended not buying gas on Sundays...I for one am willing to do my part. Reduce demand....increases supply....prices go down. But my money is still on the fact we're getting gouged and getting gouged but GOOD.

ohhhhhh - Sunday? He must not know that the Mobil stations in the area reduce their prices by 7 whole cents on Sundays in our area. I think if they can do it on Sunday, they can do it the rest of the week.

Here is another glitch I ran into recently..........the marquee on the roadside and the sign on top of the pump said the same price and the little price dial on the pump itself said something else - maybe 6 cents higher. I didn't notice until I finished pumping. When I asked the attendant in the store how I could get the lower prices advertised, she said she couldn't do anything about it - they couldn't keep up with changing the prices on the marquee and the large pump sign and I would have to pay what was on the little pump dial. She said I should call Mobil and talk to them. I'll spare you the remainder of the comments that I made. Pooey on them! Instead, I decided to just buy my gas from some other company from now on. I've contributed a chunk of my money to their revenues over the last 18 months filling my gas tank many a time to travel the 30,000 miles that I have. Oh well - I'm sure Citgo, Irving, or someone else would be happy to take my money.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Angry

Bluegrass,

That is what I have been saying, The Oil companies are the ones that have used an excuse to raise prices so that they can make obscene profits at out expence. I have not been much on government regulation or controls on buisness but I am starting to think it is getting about time that something be done to control this. Fuel is not a luxery, it is a required for most of us to go to work, not to mention what this is doing to heating costs. Unchecked the price jumps are going to unfairly hurt the poor and edlerly that can not accord the high cost of heating oil this winter. When is Washington gone to wake up?