vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Geocaching Pet Peeves

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh and friends
    There seems to be to much politics involved and I wonder if a lot of caches are just placed on a dont ask, dont tell basis.
    Absolutely.

I'm a "Municipal Officer", and while I don't think we'd grant formal permission to place a cache on Town land - liability questions and all that - I'm pretty sure we wouldn't worry about it if we knew there WAS a cache on Town land...

State land, however, is fair game as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    I'm a "Municipal Officer", and while I don't think we'd grant formal permission to place a cache on Town land - liability questions and all that - I'm pretty sure we wouldn't worry about it if we knew there WAS a cache on Town land...

State land, however, is fair game as far as I'm concerned.

Great response!

Angry My New Pet Peeve:

Caches with (significantly) incorrect coordinates! Of course, GPSrs will vary, and satellites will be off, but please! 100ft. off as mentioned by multiple finders and never updating the coords is bad form, IMHO.

Verifying coords on a least a couple of different occasions *before* submitting the cache for approval is a very good idea. And if coords prove to be incorrect, cache data should be updated in a timely fashion.

Now I feel better

Quote Originally Posted by The G Team
    Caches with (significantly) incorrect coordinates! Of course, GPSrs will vary, and satellites will be off, but please! 100ft. off as mentioned by multiple finders and never updating the coords is bad form, IMHO.

Verifying coords on a least a couple of different occasions *before* submitting the cache for approval is a very good idea. And if coords prove to be incorrect, cache data should be updated in a timely fashion.

Now I feel better
    I couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Default Some contrarian thoughts

I've been following this thread for awhile and haven't had the time to respond. But, today, I'm sitting in ABE airport for probably a looooong time, so here goes!

I usually get kind of ticked off by the same things you mentioned, but then I try to think about the big picture.

First, people are mostly good, with good intentions. There's use discussing the deviant people who are intentionally distructive because that is not your pet peave.

--Cachers who find, find, find without placing, placing, placing caches. For example, there's one NYC-area cacher whose find-hide ratio is 2775:5. Give back to the community!

This would only be a problem if there were too few caches. In most places, there are already too many caches. Perhaps a better way to give back is to try to fix the problems and minor anoyances. For example, instead of placing a new cache, give an old cache a new container, log book etc. Leave more entertaining logs in the log book or on the web site.

--Caches that are left 'temporarily unavailable' for months. Either fix it or archive it!

Let's face it, no one can maintain a cache forever. And few if any, will seek and find someone to adopt. We should be thankfull that someone has taken the time to show a great new place. Of course, I am one of those people who put a higher value on the place rather than the rest of the game.

--Cachers that consistently trade down. I've seen the contents of some of my caches go from great to mediocre thanks to people who take the best stuff and leave crap. If you can't trade evenly or up, TNLN!

Are you sure that the stuff is really lesser value? Some kids play longer with the box than the toy.

--The moratorium on virtual caches. Enough is enough--TPTB need to realize that there are some spots where you just CAN'T put a micro.

There is no moratorium on virtual caches, but they are trying hard to improve the quality of the caches. It would be great to see all perfect caches, but there is no way to even say what good is. If the finder gets something significant from the experience, that it is certainly a good cache. It is hard for me to imagine a place that is so useless that no one would appreciate it. Even as I sit here in an airport with cold food and warm beer, they do have free internet. There's good everywhere, if you take long enough to find it.

So, I agree, there should be no moratorium on anything. You should be required to use your judgement to decide if you want to attempt the cache.

Default Yellow Jeeps

Is it just me, or are people holding on pretty tightly to these Yellow Jeeps once they get one? I just did a search (the same search I've run just about daily for the last several weeks) for a 100 mile radius of Bangor for a jeep. There's only one, and that one is stranded on the deserted "Castaway" Island cache. Isn't the whole point to get these in as many caches (hands) as possible?

Anybody have any tips or tricks for nabbing one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by cameoooooo
    Is it just me, or are people holding on pretty tightly to these Yellow Jeeps once they get one? I just did a search (the same search I've run just about daily for the last several weeks) for a 100 mile radius of Bangor for a jeep. There's only one, and that one is stranded on the deserted "Castaway" Island cache. Isn't the whole point to get these in as many caches (hands) as possible?

Anybody have any tips or tricks for nabbing one of these?
    Moving the Jeeps is one part of the mission, so that more people can submit photos and essays in hopes of winning a prize.

I still have two I have yet to release to the wild. I meant to place one up north, but forgot it. I might be inclined to place one in a local (Bangor area) cache ... Hmmm, you haven't found Battleship yet...

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    I still have two I have yet to release to the wild. I meant to place one up north, but forgot it. I might be inclined to place one in a local (Bangor area) cache ... Hmmm, you haven't found Battleship yet...
    This will most likely be a dump question but here it is. Are they the two showing in the 2nd Annual BBQ Event Cache? I was wondering if there really is a cache left there after the event to visit. It was suprising to me that they havnt been scooped up yet if there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh and friends
    This will most likely be a dump question but here it is. Are they the two showing in the 2nd Annual BBQ Event Cache? I was wondering if there really is a cache left there after the event to visit. It was suprising to me that they havnt been scooped up yet if there is.
    Nope, they are not the two left at the event cache. Evidently two people who were given the Jeeps by JustJen have not logged them out yet. The Jeeps I personally handed to people at the event were never logged into the event to begin with.