vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Google Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Cache'n Jacksons
    Yeah, unfortunately a lot of the Maine areas haven't been flown over with hi-res aerial photography yet. I looks like some states (Massachusetts, Illinois, etc) have 100% coverage. There are some tools to prepare overlays from other sources, I will see if there's a way to get the older USGS aerial photos on there. I know you can with NASA World Wind.
    If you go this page here: http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat....fpart/all/vc/1

You can download a placemark that will allow you download the 1m orthos. I tried for ME (near Bath) and it seems to work fine. Its a little quirky. You need to select the orthos, zoom into about 5k feet altitude and wait a few seconds before they download.

GO$Rs

Thanks for posting that! It's exactly what I've been looking for to add on to Google Earth. It is a little quirky, but gets the job done.

Thumbs up New Google Earth Imagery for Maine

Don't know if anyone has noticed, but when I opened Google Earth today, I noticed that about 1/3 of the state is now covered by the high-res photography! So if you plan on caching in one of the following counties, you can take advantage of it:
    • York
    • Cumberland
    • Sagadahoc
    • Androscoggin
    • Oxford
    • Kennebec
    • Lincoln
    • Franklin
    • Somerset (southern half)
    The imagery is dated 2006, but I think it's at least couple years older than that; it doesn't show my new shed in our backyard, or my neighbor's paved driveway.
    Last edited by Cache'n Jacksons; 09-10-2006 at 08:50 AM. Reason: added title

WOW that's cool Glen and now if I can only get high speed internet one of these days it will be worth using it.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cache'n Jacksons View Post
    ...it doesn't show my new shed in our backyard, or my neighbor's paved driveway.
    This comment cracked me up! I think there are many out there who are a lot more concerned at the level of detail these maps offer. But being among the set that likes this technology, I think it's very cool you can see your unpaved driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by Cache'n Jacksons View Post
    Don't know if anyone has noticed, but when I opened Google Earth today, I noticed that about 1/3 of the state is now covered by the high-res photography! So if you plan on caching in one of the following counties, you can take advantage of it:
    Just happened to notice that on Friday myself. Gotta love it! I am guessing the sweep (at least in the Bangor-Brewer area), as you said, was probably done somewhere between 2-3 years ago, based on construction (ie, Brewer Applebee'sand the new Dirigo Drive in Brewer, among other things, are not in the satellite pictures).

-RanMan22

I love the detail, but sometimes the lag in photos is a good thing. I can't remember if it was a school project my kid had or some other factor, but I became very curious about a very large earth mover named Big Muskie in Ohio. I found a few web pages, which was exciting, but then I got obsessed with finding Big Muskie on Microsoft Terraserver's aerial photos. The problem was, Big Muskie had been dismantled a year before that! It took several emails and many hours looking through aerial photos to get an idea where Big Muskie once stood, and then one day, there it was, at N 39° 48.7174' W 81° 1.4647' !

So I looked for an image to compare it to, and decided to use the bridge here between Bangor and Brewer. Oddly enough, the aerial photo taken of that bridge was taken while the new bridge was being built, and the old one was still being used, so it spapped a piece of history as well!

Big Muskie can still be seen on terrasever here.
    It appears GoogleEarth's images are too new, however...
    More info on Big Muskie can be found at http://little-mountain.com/bigmuskie/

Here's a picture of that comparison:
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

That is some pretty neat stuff Dave. It may not have interested anyone else but you got me interested.
    Blazing Troll

Wow, I grew up near there and never even knew! (suprising, it looks like it could have been seen from across the state!) that thing is huge!
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Another ariel photos sight for Maine is Maine Geographical information Systems http://apollo.ogis.state.me.us/maps/ The map over my house seems to be a couple of years old but are in color and is quite clear.