vb:literal>

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Kayak

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    More floatation makes your boat safer. Floatation bags are a good idea even if you have dry storage.

You can test your boat (and your techniques) by tipping over. Choose a safe place with someone around to help, just in case.
    In the very cold water?? I don't think so!! Maybe I'll find a pond thats a bit warmer! hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Starzz
    I have another question... Does my kayak need any floatation bags?

Sue
    I don't see why you would need them as long as you put the front and back cover on you storage holes. If storage holes are sealed with the zip lock cover on them it will act as a compartment full of air which is what a flotation bag is.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    I don't see why you would need them as long as you put the front and back cover on you storage holes. If storage holes are sealed with the zip lock cover on them it will act as a compartment full of air which is what a flotation bag is.
    Keep in mind that I said "safer" not "need". Hatch covers can and do fail. Air bag flotation provides a backup to a failed hatch. If you have one good compartment and one bad, your boat will stick up in the water like a popsicle and you won't have fun.

In the very cold water?? I don't think so!! Maybe I'll find a pond thats a bit warmer! hehehe
    I know it's very cold, but I'd rather find out a problem in ideal circumstances than try to figure out a solution when it's too late. Perhaps the one biggest thing anyone can do to increase safety is to dress for immersion. Wear a dry suit this time of year and a wet suit until the water is warm enough.

Aren't they all dry suits until you dump?

I just ordered 2 of these kayak floatation bags . They was just a tiny bit cheaper on LLBean, than on the Old Town Canoe website. I ordered them by phone and the woman isnt going to charge me for shipping!

Yet again another question..... car rack for the kayak.. anything out there thats temporary besides the big foam pads?

Sue

Yet again another question..... car rack for the kayak.. anything out there thats temporary besides the big foam pads?

Sue
    Duct tape is pretty temporary...maybe even goes away before you are done transporting the kayak.

but seriously, the foam pads work pretty good if you don't want to invest in a rack system (I have a Thule and love it, it seems to be the one you see most of the time. There are less expensive ones out there, but they don't work as well/not as nicely made, etc) Just my opinion of course.