vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's that time of year - Hunting Season

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    Went out for a short evening hike around Celestial Navigation. About 3/4 way around the loop, I saw a bow hunter! Fortunately, there was a lot of trees between me and him. At first, he did not see me and I just stood as still as posible. All the time wishing and wishing I'd worn something orange instead of white!!

After what seemed like eternatity he saw me and quietly walked up to me. Turns out, he was lost! I got him straightened out and appologized for not wearing orange. He said it was ok since it's not required during bow season.

The irony is that I voted to allow hunting on the Kittery Town Farm land. It's a great place to get a deer.
    This is why I don't worry too much about bow hunters . . . I mean when is the last time you've heard of a bow hunter accidentally shooting themself or another person? I realize it may be a statistical numbers-thing as there are a lot more hunters who shoot with a rifle or shotgun, but when you have to be quite a bit closer to the quarry and you basically only have one really good shot to drop the deer or risk injuring the animal and/or losing an arrow it seems as though bow hunters are a lot more careful about ID-ing their target.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    This is why I don't worry too much about bow hunters . . . I mean when is the last time you've heard of a bow hunter accidentally shooting themself or another person?
    And with a bowhunter, you'll NEVER see/hear them fire 5-6 shots at once! LOL!

And with a bowhunter, you'll NEVER see/hear them fire 5-6 shots at once! LOL!
    I bow hunt and most all the bow hunters I know and talk with (online forums) adhere to the same rule of thumb as military snipers........"One shot, one kill"
    It still pays to wear that orange though because you just never know just how much experience that bowhunter has and he may just show that inexperience by sending an arrow flying your way. Better safe than sorry!!
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

Default Hunting

The danger of being injured by a bow or firearm hunter in Me. is grossly exagerated in my opinion. Having said that, I argee wholeheartedly that it is prudent to wear blaze orange during hunting season.
    Nuffer

Quote Originally Posted by Nuffer
    The danger of being injured by a bow or firearm hunter in Me. is grossly exagerated in my opinion. .
    People get shot in Maine nearly every year. While this is an anti-hunting website, it gives you some information on how frequent hunting accidents are.

I'm gonna wear BLAZE orange!

Who decided this is an "anti-hunting" website?

Why not look at the data and express an opinion in light of this information rather than on emotion?
    Nuffer

d’76 Guest

Without taking sides I would say that it was against hunting since the name of the web page is Committee against sport Hunting, While I support hunting in Maine I no longer do it and beleive that doing it is only for sport and not survival. I beleive that you can't beat the quality of meat that comes from hunting. I also think that it is cheaper to go to a supermarket and purchase meat than to hunt for it. So is it sport or necessity???

Quote Originally Posted by Nuffer
    Who decided this is an "anti-hunting" website?

Why not look at the data and express an opinion in light of this information rather than on emotion?
    I think Whererwe was not referring to the geocachingmaine.org website, but rather the website that was linked in the text which as Dave1976 pointed out is Committee Against Sports Hunting which seems to be an anti-hunting site.

I think it would be safe to say that geocachingmaine.org doesn't take a stand on hunting . . . unless it's hunting for caches.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

More people get killed (and injured) each year with snowmobiles and ATVs than hunting. I don't hear anyone wanting to ban those activies. They are also a waste of the now precious gasoline.

The world would be a different place if we had to produce our own food (i.e. hunt and garden), travel without gasoline, and hold on to all our waste for a year.

No matter what you do, you have to kill something in order to eat and live. Even gasoline comes from once living organisms
    What; Me Worry?

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    People get shot in Maine nearly every year. While this is .....

I'm gonna wear BLAZE orange!
    People get shot daily. The issue isn't the gun its the person behind the gun. Hunters in general are far safer than drivers as negligent drivers cause more injuries than any 3 or 4 combined activities that I can think of. Its always good to wear "Orange" during hunting season and a seatbelt while driving but if I had to decide on one safety/preventative measure to use I would choose the seatbelt every time and take my chances walking in the woods without "orange".

I haven't researched it but what is the ratio of car accidents with injury to hunting accidents with injury?

I agree with wearing hunters orange and seatbelts but an accident is not negligence. Negligent people are the ones to watch out for, either in the woods or behind the wheel.