vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's that time of year - Hunting Season

Quote Originally Posted by Team Nirvana
    More people get killed (and injured) each year with snowmobiles and ATVs than hunting. I don't hear anyone wanting to ban those activies. They are also a waste of the now precious gasoline.

The world would be a different place if we had to produce our own food (i.e. hunt and garden), travel without gasoline, and hold on to all our waste for a year.

No matter what you do, you have to kill something in order to eat and live. Even gasoline comes from once living organisms

Ut oh . . . you've mentioned snowmobiling and Rick is an avid sledder!

Actually you are partially correct in the fact that more folks in Maine die from crashes involving ATVs and snowmobiles, but incorrect in the assertion that no one wants to ban these activities. There are a number of folks that would in fact love to ban these recreational vehicles.

I am an avid ATVer and sledder (have to be up front here) and I pay dearly for the fuel (especially since I try to only use the super unleaded in small engines) . . . but just like driving to geo-caches I believe it's a personal choice and not a "waste" of fuel to be involved in these activities.

I mean who's to say that driving 50 miles in a car to go geo-caching isn't a "waste" of fuel or whether a person drives a Geo versus a Hummer (personally I prefer driving my Toyota beater car for the daily commute, but use my 4Runner SUV when hauling stuff, camping, etc.).

It's all about making choices and what works for one person and may seem wasteful to one person isn't wasteful to another (i.e. an ATVer who uses $5 in gas for a 100+mile all-day ride may view a geo-cacher driving 50 miles and spending $10 in gas to do a cache in three hours as "wasteful" and a person driving a full-sized pick-up to a job site could view a person driving an econo-car to the Mall or on a vacation as "wasteful.") It's all in the perspective and in making choices.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    People get shot daily. The issue isn't the gun its the person behind the gun. Hunters in general are far safer than drivers as negligent drivers cause more injuries than any 3 or 4 combined activities that I can think of. Its always good to wear "Orange" during hunting season and a seatbelt while driving but if I had to decide on one safety/preventative measure to use I would choose the seatbelt every time and take my chances walking in the woods without "orange".

I haven't researched it but what is the ratio of car accidents with injury to hunting accidents with injury?

I agree with wearing hunters orange and seatbelts but an accident is not negligence. Negligent people are the ones to watch out for, either in the woods or behind the wheel.
    So you're saying I shouldn't continue to eat my Big Mac while talking on the cell phone and slipping in my Godsmack CD into the CD player while attempting to merge on I-95 at the same time in rush hour traffic . . . I would also add in something about applying eye shadow, but I don't want to give any of you folks the wrong idea about me?

Excellent points were made here. Hunting accidents I've responded to as a Firefighter/EMT in the past five years: 1 (guy fell out of a tree stand) although I know the squad also responded to one accidental shooting and another guy who fell out of a tree stand. Sledding accidents I've responded to: 1 (head on with two sledders). ATV accidents: 0. Car accidents: Way too many to count . . . some with minor injuries and some involving multiple fatalities.

As you said it's the negligent person behind the wheel, behind the gun, behind the handlebars, etc. and not the activity itself.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    rush hour traffic . . .
    huh? where?

Quote Originally Posted by Wudeater and Wife
    huh? where?
    Uh . . . Bangor? It's wicked I tell ya . . . just th' other day I was tryin' to get on the I and there was this Dodge Dart, Ford Fairmount station wagon and a logging truck bearin' right down on me . . . but that wouldn't have been a problem Chummy if it wasn't for that ol' Chevy pick-up haulin' half of a mobile home that was right smack dab in front of me keepin' me from pickin' up speed . . . 'bout near ran into that trailer. Traffic's something wicked up here I tell ya.

Sorry to appear to be anti ATV. I'm not. I well realize about choice and being accountable for your actions. " It's not the choices you make - its the reason you make the choice." I'm glad most people like to live elsewhere and not in rural Maine. I'm glad others do activities I'm not interested in. If I go fishing and I get checked by a warden, I decide there are too many other fishermen around and start fishing somewhere else. People that get negative about hunting just touches a raw nerve with me. Sorry about the soapbox / diatribe.

(Don't get me started about the time and energy lost on moving lawns!)
    What; Me Worry?

Sorry to appear to be anti ATV. I'm not. I well realize about choice and being accountable for your actions. " It's not the choices you make - its the reason you make the choice." I'm glad most people like to live elsewhere and not in rural Maine. I'm glad others do activities I'm not interested in. If I go fishing and I get checked by a warden, I decide there are too many other fishermen around and start fishing somewhere else. People that get negative about hunting just touches a raw nerve with me. Sorry about the soapbox / diatribe.

Man I go off on a whole diatribe about ATVing and snowmobiling and then you have to "ruin" things by saying you're actually not anti-ATV or anti-snowmobile . . . and here I thought we were in for quite a rowdy row!

I assume you mean "mowing" and not "moving" lawns . . . although I suppose some folks might move them from place to place. I've got to agree with you some on that point . . . I have a lawn, but I also use the lawn and don't feel compelled to spend every other day mowing 3 acres of lawn and then fertilizing it . . . you should see my lawn in the Spring . . . I've got a pile of dandelions and it sure won't be gracing any Home and Garden magazine covers, but it's natural, Maine grass and I know there's no fertilizer run-off.

Man I go off on a whole diatribe about ATVing and snowmobiling and then you have to "ruin" things by saying you're actually not anti-ATV or anti-snowmobile . . . and here I thought we were in for quite a rowdy row!

I assume you mean "mowing" and not "moving" lawns . . . although I suppose some folks might move them from place to place. I've got to agree with you some on that point . . . I have a lawn, but I also use the lawn and don't feel compelled to spend every other day mowing 3 acres of lawn and then fertilizing it . . . you should see my lawn in the Spring . . . I've got a pile of dandelions and it sure won't be gracing any Home and Garden magazine covers, but it's natural, Maine grass and I know there's no fertilizer run-off.
    When I clean out my chicken coop should I bag it and trash it? And I mow almost 3 acres of lawn BUT I don't own a four wheeler. I hope that makes up for my larger lawn? But we do have something in common in that its an all natural lawn with dandelions and weeds and I think I saw a patch of grass in it but the deer may have gotten it.

Here is a negative and not against hunting as I really enjoy the sport but what about the lack of respect for private property or property in general. Between my father and my self we own almost 500 acres. For not posting it and gating it we got 9 couches, 3 TVs 15 tires, a bunch of old roof shingles and umpteen bags of trash containing various stuff.
    Bear in mind that I believe most hunter do respect other peoples property. I can't imagine grandma driving through a back road and saying to herself, "sheesh, this look like a great place to get rid of that old couch that the trash man won't take." It could be kids but I'm apt to believe they don't have couches to throw out. I'm inclined to believe this trash comes from someone who would want to travel down that old back road in the middle of nowhere and that someone is an unscrupulous hunter. Coincidentally we get most of our trash 2 weeks before November deer season and after the second week of November deer season and of course Spring time is alway good for a wheeler load.
    The negative here is we hunter are losing access fast and the State of Maine or any Hunting Organizations known to me have done much to alleviate the problem. Yeah, the State has instituted a "Get Permission" ideology but it isn't working in my opinion.

I'm pretty passionate about the above if you haven't guessed. Posting our property isn't an attempt to keep people from enjoying the outdoors its a waning attempt to keep the property pristine.

Hey FireFighterJake, maybe this will get some hackles to stand on end!!!!!
    Last edited by Trezurs*-R-*Fun; 09-22-2005 at 03:23 PM. Reason: A wrong number

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    When I clean out my chicken coop should I bag it and trash it? And I mow almost 3 acres of lawn BUT I don't own a four wheeler. I hope that makes up for my larger lawn? But we do have something in common in that its an all natural lawn with dandelions and weeds and I think I saw a patch of grass in it but the deer may have gotten it.

Here is a negative and not against hunting as I really enjoy the sport but what about the lack of respect for private property or property in general. Between my father and my self we own almost 1500 acres. For not posting it and gating it we got 9 couches, 3 TVs 15 tires, a bunch of old roof shingles and umpteen bags of trash containing various stuff.
    Bear in mind that I believe most hunter do respect other peoples property. I can't imagine grandma driving through a back road and saying to herself, "sheesh, this look like a great place to get rid of that old couch that the trash man won't take." It could be kids but I'm apt to believe they don't have couches to throw out. I'm inclined to believe this trash comes from someone who would want to travel down that old back road in the middle of nowhere and that someone is an unscrupulous hunter. Coincidentally we get most of our trash 2 weeks before November deer season and after the second week of November deer season and of course Spring time is alway good for a wheeler load.
    The negative here is we hunter are losing access fast and the State of Maine or any Hunting Organizations known to me have done much to alleviate the problem. Yeah, the State has instituted a "Get Permission" ideology but it isn't working in my opinion.

I'm pretty passionate about the above if you haven't guessed. Posting our property isn't an attempt to keep people from enjoying the outdoors its a waning attempt to keep the property pristine.

Hey FireFighterJake, maybe this will get some hackles to stand on end!!!!!
    I personally have no problems with hunters and actually think it's a very good thing for Maine's economy and to keep the population in check (in addition to the fact that there's a long standing tradition of hunting in Maine.)

However, my Uncle and Father posted their land a couple of years ago . . . after my Uncle was assaulted (bad enough to give him a concussion) by some out-of-state hunters. They realize that not all hunters are like this, but sad to say it was the actions of a few who ruined it for the many.

Thumbs up Ditto that Judy

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber
    Funny you should bring this up. I was just thinking today that I should put my beautiful orange vest in my car soon!
    We have ours at the ready in our truck...now where the h--- are we!?

However, my Uncle and Father posted their land a couple of years ago . . . after my Uncle was assaulted (bad enough to give him a concussion) by some out-of-state hunters. They realize that not all hunters are like this, but sad to say it was the actions of a few who ruined it for the many.
    I've been sorely tempted to post our land many times - the arrogance of out-of-state hunters really gets me. They abuse your property, leave litter in your woods, and get down-right uppity if you complain about their illegal deer drive.

If they don't like hunting the MAINE way, they can stay home.