vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayak?

Default Kayak?

I am thinking of starting kayaking. I want to use it on smaller rivers and lakes. Can anyone give me ideas or tips on what to look for.

I was looking at;

TIA

Lefty

d’76 Guest

You could start here http://www.otccanoe.com/. This is where I bought our boats and I have three. Mainiac1957 bought his there and many other folks have purchased theres here as well. In Old Town we have a factory outlet store that sells the seconds for less money than the retailers. The first time you put one in the water it will have blemishes. So if you don't mind a boat with a scratch in it you could check there. I have the Dirigo 12 footer and It is Awesome!!! and it was 525$$$ not a bad price when you consdier we take them on the ocean also. Good luck

Dave

$500 is a little high for me right now. That is why I was looking into a smaller model. How limited is 9'6" and what are the increments of water levels. I know very little about kayaks. Thanks again.

Rick

Lightbulb A little short I think

A 9'6 boat might be a little small for what you want to do Rick. As mentioned I also have the 12' Dirigo from Old Town. I wouldn't want it to be any smaller. With kayaks longer is usually better. They track better therefore making them easier to paddle. For lakes, streams, and protected bays an 11 or 12 foot is as short as you would want for a starter boat. Check Uncle Henry's as I'm sure there will be tons of them for sale now that the season is over. Start with a used one since the are all used the first time they hit the water. Hope I'm helping.
    Happy Trails!

I am just a novice but from the little kayaking I have done I would say the 12 footer would be the minimum length you would need for rivers and the ocean. The length you mentioned is more for whitewater which I don't have the experience or want to attempt. I prefer the 14 foot length for myself I think.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957
    Check Uncle Henry's as I'm sure there will be tons of them for sale now that the season is over.
    Hey! Great idea. And here's a link to Uncle Henry's online

Do a search on "kayak" and you'll see a lot of entries. (Note: unless you're a paid subscriber, the entries are from last week. May still be available, but...)

Default kayak length

I have an Old Town Loon 111 (11ft. 1in.) I like it and it works great on ponds and small lakes and streams. I would probably not venture onto the ocean just yet with it. Old Town makes a 10 ft. Otter that is an OK starter kayak, again I wouldn't put it in the ocean. The good thing with kayaks is that they hold their value, if you get a good deal on aused one now you may make afew bucks on it in the spring.

It might not be the best beginners boat. On the one hand, you will quickly develop good padle strokes. If you don't, the boat will go anything but straight. On the other hand, you may get frustrated.

It looks like that boat would be a lot of fun in whitewater. It is very short, so it would be very easy to turn and a good boat to learn to roll in. Short is also better when surf kayaking. Both activities are a bit dangerous if you don't have someone to help keep you safe.

I liked the Old Town Dirigo. A boat in the 10 to 14 foot range will work well on small rivers and lakes.

Default 13' 9" Old Town

We bought our first kayak this year and we love it. It's an Adventurer 139 with a rudder kit. I have had it in the fresh and salt water. Great first boat. Check the rental shops, they like to get rid of the rentals at the end of the year. I scratched mine first time out. Thank goodness, it's plastic. Don't forget the paddle, this can be an unexpected cost. They're not cheap. Good luck and look forward to seeing you at next years event. Find a friend to show you the ropes.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

With what I know now I would get a kayak that is 13' 9" or bigger. But that is just my opinion. If you get a smaller one I think you will regret it later. I have a 13' 9" now and wish it was bigger now that I have done some ocean kayaking.

But then again some people like small kayaks. But the bigger the kayak the better it will go in the water and the straighter it will go believe it or not.
    Blazing Troll