vb:literal>

View Poll Results: What do you think should be the minimum distance between Maine rural caches?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 miles (No minimum)

17 23.61%
  • .1 mile

16 22.22%
  • .25 mile

12 16.67%
  • .5 mile

7 9.72%
  • .75 mile

2 2.78%
  • 1 mile

5 6.94%
  • 1.5 miles

1 1.39%
  • 2 miles

5 6.94%
  • 5 miles

3 4.17%
  • Other (specify)

4 5.56%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Minimum distance between caches

Default Minimum distance between caches

The current gc.com guidelines limit the minimum distance between caches to be .1 mile (528 feet). Many times in national chat and the gc.com forums, cachers express their thoughts that .1 mile is too little or too much.

Disreguarding the politics of whether there should be rules or not, What distance do you think would be a common sense minimum distance for caches to be placed in the areas outside city limits in Maine? And, should the areas inside city limits be different?

Disclaimer: This subject did not come about from any of the caching I did last weekend, or any other day for that matter.

Thumbs up .5 works for me

I think a half mile would be fine on rural caches. In a city setting they could be closer. I recently read somewhere that in the greater San Francisco area that there are 4000+ caches. I don't know how big an area that really is, but it seems like an aweful lot for one metropolitan area. Considering there are only 600 something in the state of Maine. IMHO
    Happy Trails!

d’76 Guest

Doesn't matter to me. Could someone give me the pros and cons because to me, the more the marrier

Dave1976

I like the .1 mile. But then, it depends on what you mean by "rural".

There are at least 4 caches within 1/2 mile in Skowhegan, and I think they're all worthwhile. If you Want to have a dual criteria, i.e., .1 mile within the limits of a built up area/town, and 1/2 (.5) mile outside the built up area, then I'm all for it.

I think the .1 distance set up by GC.com is fine with me unless you are talking about 500 micros underneath each lamp post....lol
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I am well familiar with the cache density in certian areas of California, as well as some other areas. I really don't want Maine to come down to having a cache under each lamp post as haffy stated.

With aproximately 25 caches per square mile using the .1 mile rule, if you take only the land area of Maine (30,862 sq. miles) that makes 771,550 locations available for caches. of course, many areas are off limits.

If it were up to me and only me, I'd be happy with a mile minimum. If there are two areas closer than that, a cache placer could always make a multi of it. I know I can get extreme, however, so I dropped my vote to .75 miles.

I do, however, think the .1 mile rule is probably fine for urban areas, which I would classify as Maine's Cities - Bangor, Skowhegan, Waterville, Portland, etc... I guess that would have to be clarified if any rule were enacted.

The pros/cons are pretty basic - with no limit, cache hiders have no restrictions, and with a high limit you may not be able to hide a cache where you'd like, but there won't be a cache on every street corner.

Post 1 mile vote

I think there are too many variables to vote accurately. It depends on how well you can or want to walk. The lay of the land, and the availability to hide numerous caches, in a small area. To us it's not the numbers, it's the adventure. If you have to walk a great distance, and there are numerous areas to visit. Like Bradbury Mountain and Midknight, that's ok. I feel lucky Windham doesn't have any lamp posts. LOL
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    I am well familiar with the cache density in certian areas of California, as well as some other areas. I really don't want Maine to come down to having a cache under each lamp post as haffy stated.
    What??? You mean someone else doesn't like the idea of putting film cans under light posts in the parking lot of fast food restaurants and calling them geocaches?????

Sheesh! There is hope for this "sport" yet! You've got a beer on me at the "Beer & Wings" event, brdad!
    Last edited by WhereRWe?; 04-11-2005 at 07:55 PM.

Hey!!! What about me? I was the one who mentioned the lamp post micros in the first place....lol
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    Hey!!! What about me? I was the one who mentioned the lamp post micros in the first place....lol
    You can have my beer, haffy, I probably won't drink any. Well, unless I need to in order to log it as a find. Did we figure out if that was a requirement yet?