vb:literal>

Thread: topo maps websites

d’76 Guest

Default topo maps websites

Hey Folks,

I need a little help. This afternoon we are teaching a class on topographical maps. I was wondering if any of you have a web site in mind that will show how topotgraphical lines work and what they do. If they are interactive that would be cool also.

Thanks

Dave

This is arial photography of the state of Maine so I'm sure its not what your looking for but it may help a little, or so I hope. Its a nice site and its free!!

http://megisims.state.me.us/website/orthomap/viewer.htm

I have Delormes TOPO maps software that is 3D which is nice but won't be much help to you this afternoon. All the online TOPO sites I've come across cost mucho dollars so I'm interested in others post here as well.

Have a great day!!!!

Not sure what age group you are working with...and this may seem a little strange, but....when I was a kid, I was taught about topo using a potato.
    Yes, a potato. We cut the potato in 1/2 the long way <> and then cut it horizontally again and again and again. Until there were 3 - 5 slices some thick and some thin. Then traced along the outside of each ring. You'd have to use the long potatos not round ones. I hope you were able to follow that.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Wudeater and Wife
    Not sure what age group you are working with...and this may seem a little strange, but....when I was a kid, I was taught about topo using a potato.
    Yes, a potato. We cut the potato in 1/2 the long way <> and then cut it horizontally again and again and again. Until there were 3 - 5 slices some thick and some thin. Then traced along the outside of each ring. You'd have to use the long potatos not round ones. I hope you were able to follow that.
    Good luck.
    And the best thing about this is afterwards you can fry up the cut potatos and make home-made French Fries!

Those were Maine potatos right Wudeater . . . and not those Idaho potato wanna-bes, right? Speaking of which . . . it's getting difficult to determine where some potatos are being grown. Shop N' Save (excuse me, Hannaford now) sells Arrow Farm potatos that are packaged in Massachusetts but the packaging only says they're grown in the US -- doesn't list out which state.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I hate to say it, but my dad was born and spent some formative years in Aroostook County but I didn't learn a thing about potatos. I always bring Maine potatos to Christmas and/or Thanksgiving (which we attend in either NC or FL). You should see the looks I get when airport security sees a 10lb bag of potatos in my suitcase!

Quote Originally Posted by Wudeater and Wife
    I hate to say it, but my dad was born and spent some formative years in Aroostook County but I didn't learn a thing about potatos. I always bring Maine potatos to Christmas and/or Thanksgiving (which we attend in either NC or FL). You should see the looks I get when airport security sees a 10lb bag of potatos in my suitcase!
    Just tell them screeners that it's in case you get hungry on the flight since those little packs of pretzels they supply just isn't quite enough to satisfy a County Boy's appetite!
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

This might be a little late, but i have a couple of sites that have proved usefull. Not sure if they can help with the contour line info, but if you combine topo maps with google earth and use the tilt function it realy shows the topography. http://www.topozone.com/ has a good online database, and http://earth.google.com/downloads.html is a large downloadable program that is interesting, need broadband to use it effectively. for historical topos try http://docs.unh.edu/nhtopos/nhtopos.htm. Keep up the good work. Lem