vb:literal>

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Garmin software updates

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    The BBS I ran was not here in Maine. When I was in the military I ran one in Washington State from 1987 to 89. Then the Navy moved me to Virginia and I moved the BBS there from 1989 to 1991. But that was when the Commodore started lagging and slowly got outpowered by the PC. So I shut down the BBS and put it all in a box and there is sits still. I put a lot of money into that BBS. In fact all the equipment I have cost more then the computer I now own and I could not even give it away. LOL.
    I'll bet you were even a subscriber to QLInk - the predecessor of AOL.

I lived in North Carolina in the late 80's, and there were a lot of BBS's there. Still have HUNDREDS of 5 1/4 floppies with games I downloaded to use "in the future". I don't think I've ever touched them...

I wanted to set up a BBS myself, but a 20 MB hard drive was WAY out of my price range! LOL!

Default There's still some boxes of 5.25 DS/HDs around here

as well, though I think all my 8" floppies are gone, as well as my CP/M disks. My first hard drive was a full height 10MB Seagate--it had 2MB of bad sectors, and track 0 was bad so I had to boot off a floppy--got it at Marden's for $100 or so back when an IBM XT w/10 MB was running $5,000 or so. I've probably still got some ST-225s around somewhere, if anyone needs a spare 20MB drive

Hmmm, Are you people bragging or just showing how geeky you really are? Looks like there's a fine line there....

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Hmmm, Are you people bragging or just showing how geeky you really are? Looks like there's a fine line there....
    Just reminiscing about the "good old days". Who would ever have thought that computers would advance so far so fast. And today you can buy a complete computer for what we would willingly pay for a monitor 20 years ago...

Damn! We're geting OLD!!!

Here's a question for all those Legend owners. I just recently 'upgraded' my Rino 110 to a Legend. The mapping feature is (heh) SWEET but it seems to ditch me each and everytime I step in the woods. My Rino was spot on with very few exceptions and I use to laugh whenever someone complained about a bad signal in a log. I'm not laughing anymore.

Is this what I can expect from my Legend?

I'm thinking Garmin never would have released the model if it was actually as bad as it seems mine is. I have WAAS enabled and always keep it in 'normal' mode and not (ack) battery saving mode.

I'm not using it in the case and I know to keep the antenna up facing up... Not that it makes much of a difference.

Help? : (

I have a Legend also and in heavy tree cover I also have a problem but I do not lose the signal it just jumps around like crazy. It has gotten to the point where I just want to throw it up against a tree. But when it works it works good if that makes sense.
    Blazing Troll

I thoroughly agree with attroll. My Legend is terrible in tree cover - and I especialy note problems when I'm under hemlocks. Don't know if there's something in hemlock trees that hinder radio waves, or just my imagination.

LOL!

Ah. I may have to run with attroll on this one! It does almost BEG to be little tiny bits of plastic all too often. I may soon be the most perverse geocacher out there and use TWO GPS's. I'll use the Legend to get me there and (heh) buy another low end Rino 110 to do the grunt work. It's sick really, I know, I know! But I got my Legend for (heh) $139 with PC cord while I was in North Conway and I can go to Beans and get a Rino 110 for $123 (it's on sale) - That's barely more than a Rino 120 (mapping GPS) for 249.99 - and I'll still be able to accidentally lose one in the kayak this summer... and not miss nary a step geocaching.

I know I'm a freak (heh... especially in my logs) but someone please save me from MYSELF with a better solution?! My Rino only sent me back for two DNF's out of it's 200+ cache run (and I'm not even sure if it was it's fault...) but damn if it didn't make me put an extra 1,000 miles on my car this year. : )

Thanks everyone!!

BTW: Anyone who can get it to stop snowing sometime this century will be my hero....

The subject of Garmin's patch antenna reception always gets me thinking.

Yes, I have trouble with mine under certian circumstances.
    Yes, some days I just can't seem to get a signal.

But I've found 473 caches with the same yellow etrex I started with. Ok, probably 20 or so of those I found without my GPS, and one I found without my GPS or cache coords or description (Sorry Geochicks ) . But I have yet to get so upset at my GPS that I'd throw it, and obviously haven't felt the need to upgrade (I have however dropped it several times, drowned it, and lost if off the roof of the car once at 30-40 MPH). I've hidden 5 caches with the same unit, people seem to trust my coordinates on those are valid. People have used my posted coordinates on other caches and have found them to be close. I built my own re-radiating antenna which improves my reception quite a bit, but I don't even take it caching, except for a few times just testing it out.

All of the Etrex line use the same patch antenna, which in theory receives signals from above better than they receive them from the horizon, which the quad helix antennas are known for. There could be some differences between Etrex models with the algorithm, but I think all in all they are similar.

Still, however, Lee and I can be at a cache site and one of us will be 50 feet or more from the other, and each of us picking up 3 or 4 sats that the other one isn't. I could be wrong, but it seems the more out units disagree, the more likely her Legend is right.

I usually attribute success with a GPS to knowing your device. I check my sat screen often, and know when the majority of the sats are on the horizon or if they are in a straight line, that my accuracy will not be great. I know if I am near a cliff or a certian steam train that the signal will most likely bounce, often sending me 50-100 feet from the real coordinates. I know on heavily overcast days my signal will not be great. And so on.

It really makes me wonder if much of this is pilot error, or if there is such variation from one unit to the next, let alone from one model to the next? Is it the way we hold it? Doesn't seem to make any difference on mine 90% of the time. Is it a matter of how much we trust it? Do many people think if the GPS reads 0 feet and the accuracy is 18 feet, that the cache has to be within 18 feet of us?

Perhaps at an event, we should pass our GPSrs to the person on our right, and see what happens then?

Post Circles!

If you have read any of our team's logs. You will hardly ever see, " easy find ". We get there with the help of our Garmin etrex. ( extra batteries now in the pack) We have logged more " miles " looking in the wrong direction, ( see previous logs ) 973 to be exact. But we find it fun to have to hunt. All of our finds, 39 of them have been this winter. We have some great stories. Weak signal or not, wackey readings or not. We love our GPSr, and wouldn't trade her.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.