vb:literal>

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Marooned Travel Bug

Default Marooned Travel Bug

A geocacher "from away" took a canoe trip to the Cunliffe Islands and dropped off a plastic bag containing a slip of paper for a log plus travel bug TBGYE9. Since I was unable to publish the cache page, the travel bug is now stuck at N 46° 43.517 W 069° 22.062.

If anyone goes near that location, I'm sure the travel bug owner would be happy to see it picked up and put back into circulation. The trash - err, cache should be picked up as well.

Thank you.

-gpsfun
    geocaching.com volunteer reviewer

Default That is WAY up there.

I was up that direction on Labor Day this year and I was still a long way from that location. It will have to be someone whose running the Allagash River to retrieve that one. If the bears and racoons don't get it first.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by gpsfun
    A geocacher "from away" took a canoe trip to the Cunliffe Islands and dropped off a plastic bag containing a slip of paper for a log plus travel bug TBGYE9. Since I was unable to publish the cache page, the travel bug is now stuck at N 46° 43.517 W 069° 22.062.

If anyone goes near that location, I'm sure the travel bug owner would be happy to see it picked up and put back into circulation. The trash - err, cache should be picked up as well.

Thank you.

-gpsfun
    geocaching.com volunteer reviewer
    Your going to have a problem with this one. Just because we live in Maine does not mean we all get out in nowhere land that much. This one is literally located in the middle of nowhere. I hate to say this but I think this one will be stuck there for a long time. It might as well as be written off.
    Blazing Troll

It's not as bad as it looks fellas, I put the coords into my Geocaching Command Center (my laptop with fancy mapping and GPS progs) and found some roads getting within 2 miles of the abandoned TB. I for one propose a "Search & Rescue" I plan on doing a cache on Katahdin and a few around Piscataquis County,(Oct 1st and 2nd) so that'll put me in the area. I don't want to venture that far into the woods by myself though. So if someone else wants to do a weekend adventure I'll be more than willing to go in search of the lost TB.

Let us know which weekend it will be.
    Blazing Troll

October 1st and 2nd, Katahdin on Sat, and Random Caches or search party on sunday

another thought I just had... if that TB isn't taken out before november, you can probably count on it being gone with the snow.

Well ATTroll is unable to join me in the journey, so if there is anyone else willing to endure a long journey by jeep then by foot that wants to join in just say so.
    *note: by looking at the topo and sat maps this is not going to be an easy journey by land, apparently these guys took a guided trip down the alagash and stayed near a campsite that is marked on page 61 of the atlas

d’76 Guest

Wouldn't it be easier to wait till winter and snowsled to it.(RIck)??

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    Wouldn't it be easier to wait till winter and snowsled to it.(RIck)??
    if i had a sled yeah, but i don't so no, i've got snow shoes, but someone would have to be a glutton for punishment to do that. i've found roads on maps that get very close to a campsite that i believe that stopped at, and is possibly where they hid the TB so it shouldnt be difficult (depending how the roads are) but the hiking part is questionable.
    And... if the snow is deep enough to sled on, how ya gunna find the TB?

another thought about the sleds... i've been on a few trail breaking rides and it's not too fun, unless you have a sled wider than the women up that way it could take days to get that far. it would be much easier (and safer) to get it before the snow falls
    Last edited by Hiram357; 09-25-2005 at 08:52 AM.