vb:literal>

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Marooned Travel Bug

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber
    Can I send you a list of my TB's that have disappeared? Sounds like you have persistence and stealth well beyond mine that would perhaps give them a second chache in their TB life. It is always disappointing when they disappear. I have had a few that landed amongst the missing nearly immediately - either the cache disapeared altogether or the TB got removed and never logged. And some that traveled a bit and then disappeared. And I even have one that resurfaced and has traveled far. You just never know.
    I just had a TB resurface after having been "missing" for over a year. Great feeling, since we get a great deal of pleasure out of tracing our bugs. (and of helping other bugs towards theri goal.)

I guess if it is in a plastic bag there won't be need for my metal detector.
    You might want to get in touch with techscout in Aroostook. She may or may not be able to help you with this. I'm guessing she is going to know something about the area that we may not know. Also, she may know someone else who might be willing to trek it with you.

A metal detector may pick up the metal (aluminum?) travel bug tag. But I don't know if I'd want to lug it for 2 miles...

I think this would be a GREAT opportunity for the next "Kayak Kache" event!

Go for it!

I haven't done the Allagash yet, so I can only say what I see on my map.

There is a road fairly close to the cache, but it looks like access to the river would be rather steep. There is not likely to be any trail. The terrain is probably very thick brush because the wilderness waterway has a buffer zone to hide timber harvesting as much as posible.

The cache is on an island. The water appears to be rather fast, judging by the width reported on the map.

Don't expect anyone to be quick to the rescue if anything goes wrong.

I like the Kayak Kache idea, but I bet this is a bit more time consuming than most can commit to.

d’76 Guest

travel bugs turn up missing everyday. I could see a SAR if the bug was more local. However this will be at least an all day adventure. Why is this one any different??

Wink

I could see doing it for the adventure, but why bother if you can't get credit for finding the cache!

Is it on the Island? My computer showed it to be over by the campsite.

Mine shows the campground is on the island! For some reason, I cannot get the website to take an attachement, so I'll post in the photo gallery.

Well boys, look like were gunna hafta wait for the river to freeze (my map was on wrong UTM)