vb:literal>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Almost Lost My GPS

Default Almost Lost My GPS

I did a few caches today and on one of them I almost lost my GPS... As most of you know a few months ago I bought a new GPS, A Garmin 60CS that I spent a fortune on, well I was doing a cache in Canada and it was real steep, terrain was 4.5. (Four Falls) And I was slidding and next thing I know I have my hand on tree branch holding me up, trying to get footing.
    After I gasp my breath, I realize I have only have held onto my digital camera and the paper with the cords on it, where did the GPS go?
    You have to realize I am full of branches going left and right and scratches all over my arms from the fall. You have to realize its fall, leaves are on the ground everywhere and the angle of the slope I am on.
    I looked down and couldn't see my GPS. I figured, GREAT! Its probably in in the river, or whatever cause it slid down. Well, I looked and looked (I was alone) for about 20 min. I wasn't going to give up, I just bought it and wouldn't be able to replace it. I knew it had to be around, just had to backtrack and see how far down the slope it could have gotten before getting caught up in the muck and leaves. After 20 min I finally seen the top of my GPS. Was I ever relieved...
    Heres where the peice of the puzzle gets worse though... I went to Four Falls for the earth cache first and make it back to the truck. Got in the truck and left then realized the Limestone cache is in the same place, so I did the walk twice (the second time is where I lost the GPS) and come to find out, the Limestone cache was deleted a few weeks ago or so... I think the Four Falls eart cache took its position. I didn't know this. So I looked and looked, and looked... and didn't help my GPS was where the sun don't shine and I wasn't getting any kind of signal so it was going in and out... I gave up looking the better part of an hour (I hate to give up!!!) came home to find the Limestone cache doesn't exist anymore...(I had printed the paper a few months ago when it was first posted) Arg... caching is fun.. but what a long, tiring day...
    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Smile Ah the joys of paper"less" caching

I remember those days... Print them out, hope they are current the next time you go out. Time to step up to a PDA Jordan. Update before going out on a hunt and this won't happen again. Glad to hear it all worked out.
    Happy Trails!

Poor Jordan,glad you found your GPS but that's why it is always a good idea to get updated pocket queries whenever you are going caching. Sure can save a lot of headaches sometimes,I know from experience.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Cool

Ah the joys of paper"less" caching
    Ya... I know, PDA is a good idea, but that would mean bringing a camera, PDA and GPS! I guess next time I will just double check before I head out. Lesson learned--the hard way I guess. I have my GPS, thats the main thing. I tell ya...I would have looked until nightfall then gone back with a flashlight!

d’76 Guest

Yup, Been down that road. Get yourself a palm, (so you can lose both of them LOL)

I never thought that I would like the palm. Affraid of getting to technical. It's so much better. And not wasting all that paper and ink.

Hey Jordan you can get a cheap PDA on Ebay for loading Cachemate and other stuff for under $50 dollars really easy. I won't buy another expensive one again when the cheapies will do just as well.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

d’76 Guest

Thats what I did, Nothing fancy when it's gets broke it doesnt matter

Ya, don't get me wrong, your going to laugh at me, but I have a PDA. Just don't use it. Its actually nothing cheap either, I bought it for college, you know, you get that boring 3 hour class where the professor talks the whole time... ya wireless internet works well. Its a Dell Axon I30 or something like that ring a bell? Anyway, last November I paid $350.00 for it, so its got to be pretty good, got bluetooth and a memory card (I bought later on) 1 Gig... I guess I could set a few cords up on that lol... Yes, so I do have one, do I use it no... thats me I guess.. lol.

I'm just glad you weren't hurt. Those caches and gagets are not important!

I think it was the most terrian I ever been to, a 4.5 I mean its not real bad, but there are points there where you have to grab something to get footing... but believe me if you havent been and get the chance, its worth doing, just not for the faint of heart.