vb:literal>

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Almost Lost My GPS

LOL - I wondered!! Hard to forget conversations like that - hehehehe
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Quote Originally Posted by J_Cyr
    I got a clip on min, but I never use it, might be a good idea. Although I am always wearing my pager, my cell and sometimes my radio when I'm on call... whats one more thing around the belt...lol
    (Firefighterjake attempting to sing theme song) -- NaNaNaNaNaNaNaNa . . . Batman. NaNaNaNaNaNaNaNa . . . Batman.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

This thread has got me thinking . . . for someone who is considering going into paperless caching what are some makes/models out there in use . . . what are the approximate costs . . . and what features should you be looking for. I assume you can buy them in most big box electronic stores.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    (Firefighterjake attempting to sing theme song) -- NaNaNaNaNaNaNaNa . . . Batman. NaNaNaNaNaNaNaNa . . . Batman.

Actually, it's NaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNa...Batman

Quote Originally Posted by blevesque
    Actually, it's NaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNa...Batman
    Ka-pow! Blam! Whiff!

Quote Originally Posted by blevesque
    There's things worse than losing a GPS...like a headlamp, right Jordan???
    Right... actually BL... you should she the one I replaced it with from Walmart, double the power... 4 LED lights on it... I could light up the town!
    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Thumbs up

I went cheap and bought a Palm IIIxe on ebay for $43. I presently have 1400 caches in the memory. That is for a trip from Niskayuna, NY to Waterville. It includes all the cacheswithin 75 miles of home, within 10 miles of the routes I planned on taking, and those within 60 miles of Waterville. I've had it about a year and a half now and have not had any problems. I use Cachemate as the program for keeping track of things. I think it was $20 when I got it.

I use Geocaching Swiss Army Knife as the program on the desktop. It does a great job of recordkeeping, uploading to the GPS and the Palm.

A house is not a home without a cat.

I found it pretty easy to put the cords right on the GPS as I view them online and then when I am ready to do them, I can check to see if they are still there/updated then do the cache. Also I know I can hold like, well heck alot of waypoints on my GPS but I never keep them, after a cache, good bye way points. 1.) I already know where it is, 2.) its much easier selecting a waypoint rather then to scroll through 4,487 others
    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Cyr
    Also I know I can hold like, well heck alot of waypoints on my GPS but I never keep them, after a cache, good bye way points. 1.) I already know where it is, 2.) its much easier selecting a waypoint rather then to scroll through 4,487 others
    Are you using the find geocaches function of your 60c? Once you mark them as found, they don't show up on the list anymore. It also makes for an easy to see what caches you have found while you have been out on a trip.

Paperless is the only way to go. I finally made to plunge earlier this year, and I can't imagine going back now. It's amazing how much time you can save by just downloading your gpx files and hitting the road. Instead of planning trips and printing pages, it's 5 minutes to download caches into the GPS and Pocket PC.