vb:literal>

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Almost Lost My GPS

Quote Originally Posted by blevesque
    Actually, it's NaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNa...Batman
    You're both wrong it's "NaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNa BATMAN"

I usually keep my slips/slides and losses to myself <G> Glad to see someone admit to a slip. It is dangerous out there. Got to thining how "they" would get me out if I broke a leg on the back side of Sand Beach rock formation at Acadia. Would I be one of those people they have to pack out, groaning the whole way about the stupid tourist? I'll never again attempt something like "Turkey Buzzard" which was above my level of climbing on slick, shale rock.

Any recommendations for a PDA to watch for on Ebay? Something simple.

Anne - probably never a #5 terrain cacher.
    TwoMaineiacs / Anne and Joe

Thumbs up I like my Zire

Any of the Palm Zire series are fine. The 21 is greyscale and not alot of memory but it works. I have the older 71 which is great. It has an expantion card slot, color screen, and a built in digital camera. The new 72 is that with a few upgrades. For a middle of the road model you can go with the 31. Color screen and more.
    Happy Trails!

d’76 Guest

I have the zire 21 it will work jusr fine. No lit screen makes it hard sometime but oh well

Quote Originally Posted by Slate
    Paperless is the only way to go. I finally made to plunge earlier this year, and I can't imagine going back now. It's amazing how much time you can save by just downloading your gpx files and hitting the road. Instead of planning trips and printing pages, it's 5 minutes to download caches into the GPS and Pocket PC.
    Ok and I havent done a darn thing since I became a premium member.. good idea!

Also, no I havent used that function yet. I am teaching myself slowly how to use it, I have only mastered how to mark, delete and edit waypoints! This thing has games, etc, etc... the manual is the size of a stephen king chapter book!
    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

This is to Anne, try to find a really cheap Palm Zire 31 it should do you real good.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Anne - I've had a few slips and falls myself! One was at Turkey Buzzard, another of my favorites was into a mudhole in the woods - ai yi yi - that was not a pretty site - the words that came flying out of my mouth were far more problematic than the mud that I got on my clothes - lol!! And of course there was the time I stepped into mud on a river bank that only went up to my knees - my goodness - getting my feet out wasn't the problem - it was my sandals - almost had to finish that trek in bare feet - ouch!! Fortunately, I haven't been hurt yet (unless you count that blasted bee sting after the Hampden event) and haven't experienced what Jordan described - yikes!!

As for watching on eBay - I use an iPaq and though I like it and have figured out how to use it for caching, there are definitely more people using palm technology - particularly the zire line. If you end up going with a windows based item like an iPAQ, feel free to let me know, I'm happy to share what I have learned along the way! It's fun - you'll see - paperless is great!!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Haffy and others - define "really cheap". Under $100? Under $150? Most of the Zire 31s listed at the moment on Ebay are under $100. Immediately was outbid on one for $75. Watching pennies since just retired

Joe has always been amazed I didn't already have a unit since I love gear.

Anne

Like duh Anne. Palm Zire 31 lists new at Staples for $115. Looks like they get bid up pretty quickly on Ebay but will keep a watch.

Anne

Talking to self..... now proud owner of Palm Zire 31 with 512 memory card. One of our rod/gun club members had a note up on our bulletin board that it was for sale. Hotsynched all my outlook contacts, etc., set up calendar, downloaded a couple of free file cabinet type programs.

Oh Haffy - you ever written up how you download caches to the PDA? Is it under an older discussion you can point me to? Wasn't I the one that said I'd NEVER go paperless?

Anne - with one more piece of gear to carry around