vb:literal>

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Am I Wrong???

I kind of take offense to the fact that stuff from the dollar store or lawn sales is trash. I happen to get most of the stuff that I put in my caches at the dollar store and just because they cost only a dollar doesnt make it junk. It seems when I go to check all my caches after a while all the items are not there anymore. Sure beats spending 50 dollars driving around trying to find one of your caches.....LOL. I usually leave one of my signature Maine notes in caches when I visit them and others seem to like those as well. I understand your thoughts though about trash. The older established caches seem to have the so-called trash in them most of the time.If I don't take anything I usually don't leave anything either unless it is a new signature item I have yet to get a hold of. Just My 2 cents
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Hmmm . . . this post sounds very much like one I posted here a while back.

I've never met you Hiram . . . but I like how you think.

Here's my thoughts . . . again . . . in case some of you folks forgot.

1) Geo-caching is all about the journey and the thrill of the find . . . but sometimes, just sometimes it's nice to find something other than junk in the cache. Now granted, one's man's trash is another person's treasure . . . but when you find broken or dirty items I think most folks can honestly say it's trash and not "treasure."

2) I believe that any change can be made by the actions of just one person who can spread this belief to another and so on and so forth. My personal belief is this . . . I will only trade if a) I really like the location, reason for the cache or b) there is something I would like to trade equally. In some cases I've taken nothing and left something in its place simply because I liked the spot and felt the cache would benefit with some extra swag. More often than not I will leave my signature item since folks seem to enjoy collecting them in which case I will not trade or take anything. In some cases (usually when I'm less than impressed with the container and lack of maintenance on the cache) I will simply record TNLN . . . but sometimes I also write this because I couldn't put my signature item in the cache. Speaking of signature items . . . I like collecting the ones where folks have shown some creativity with items that reflect their geo-caching knicknames or ones that are actually collectible. I passionately dislike signature items that look "cheap" or seem like someone put absolutely no thought into the item. Some of my favorites probably didn't cost a lot to make (most likely less than a buck or two), but they showed that the person took some time to come up with an item (i.e. Brdad's photo marble, Mainely Roses card and flower, Beckett's card and pin, FFFarmer's tractor key chain, Ms. Tea Lee's flower, etc.) My final thought on the trinkets . . . sometimes it's not the value of the item. One of my favorite finds was from Mainedeerhunter . . . it was a glass cat that looked as though it could have come from a yard sale or even from his wife's coffee table when she wasn't looking . . . it probably didn't cost a lot, but I traded for it since it was something I knew my wife would like. One other thing, when I place an item or signature item in a cache I try to either make sure it's in the original packaging or in a nice ziplock bag . . . keeps it clean and makes it look a lot neater.

3) Per the hide . . . I try to use the terrain or area to hide the cache with items other than the geo-sticks which we're used to seeing . . . but sometimes I like to offer an "easy" cache. A lot of it depends on how likely the cache could be found due to its location or popularity by geo-muggles. In my first few caches I've tried to balance some hides that are a little more challenging with some easy ones. For example, I'm working on two cache sites right now . . . one should be fairly easy to find while the other should take folks a bit more time . . . or at least I hope since I'm putting a lot of work into creating this one.

Finally, OK, almost finally, I periodically check my cache sites and the contents. I for one have no problems in throwing out junk, business cards, religious tracts or items that do not comform with whatever minimal requests I have added (i.e. I tossed a toy eyeball out Thrill cache since it was not a signature item (at least it didn't seem to be one) and it clearly was not worth $5. If this item had been in one of my regular caches with no stipulations I would have kept it in there.

And now a shameless plug if you're looking for good swag and a good view . . . check out I've Found My Thrill . . . I've asked folks to trade items worth $5 or more and so far most folks seem to be following this request . . . and as a result I've planning a second "good swag" cache.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMaineiacs
    We made up snack size baggies with a card and marbles to leave in every cache we visit. The marbles were for the kids, card is just our geocaching avatar and geocache email address. Figured if newer caches want to email to learn more about caching (and get pointed to here) that's great. This isn't a "trade" item but just something extra to leave.

Anne
    This was actually one of my favorite signature items . . . it showed your humor "losing our marbles wherever we go" and I thought reflected your personality. The baggies with the marbles are neat and as you mentioned you can either keep the whole kit n' kaboodle or give the marbles to any children who might be with you. The card accompanying the whole thing also is nice as it personalizes the geo-cacher's SI.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    I kind of take offense to the fact that stuff from the dollar store or lawn sales is trash. I happen to get most of the stuff that I put in my caches at the dollar store and just because they cost only a dollar doesnt make it junk.
    I've got to agree here . . . another one of my favorite "booty hauls" was a set of oversized corn cob holders that I found right before the summer corn came in. What made this nice though was that the item was obviously new in a package and didn't look like someone had been using them for six years! Also, I should add this item was found near a farm stand which showed me the geo-cacher who placed it there actually thought a bit about the trade.

Here's one for you all. I was talking to a cousin who also caches and he asked a question of me, "What is the most interesting thing you've found in a mini-dumpster?" He, of course, was referring to the cache container. I told him what I've previously posted here that my reasons for caching are not the trade items but the hunt. Anyways, thought people may find his sentiment amusing if not concerning.

Happy Caching.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    As responsible geocachers (especially premium members) Shouldn't we make an effort to not only CITO but to also CITOOfTheCaches?
    And another thing that bothers me is people that trade for a good item like a flashlight, or a compass, or a Jeep TB, and leave a marble or a band aid (I've was at a cache last week somebody left an individual stick of chewing gum!)
    I would DEFINITELY leave the cache contents alone, unless you are being helpful and removing wet paper, or putting something in a baggie. The cache contents belong to the owner, and wether we like his/her "style" of caching, it's their cache.

And as for "cache robbers" who take something nice and leave junk, DON'T GET ME STARTED! LOL! But TB's are meant to be moved. I don't believe you ever have to leave anything in exchange for a TB (unless you have one you'd like to exchange).

Wow, quite a popular thread goin here. Glad to see that some other people share my views and concerns. I'm gunna keep this short for tonight because my eyes are hurting from FireFighterJakes speach soo... shouldn't somebody write up a caching code of conduct that we could put on the page somewhere, like under "about geocaching" so that those new to the lovely addiction of geocaching can get started off on the right foot, by being educated to not leave trash, pick up the trash, trade fairly, keep the TBs going, ect, ect? I personally think that writing something up and having it approved by the site and it's members and then having it posted on the site would do a good service to the geocaching community. anyone else agree?

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    Not only is it wrong but it doesn't make finding the cache that hard either, usually you find it from twenty feet away. It sounds like you might enjoy some of the multis in greater bangor area. EX. dyselexia nitemare, Stacked on Stillwater, Battleship and there are many more, and maybe the best multi if found and most educational Brewer by the Numbers

A few neat hides are Secret fishing hole in old town by petes cabin, old 470 by brdad, Allagash tramway, Some of these are ones that will take you awhile but are worth it. Then you can always Do my cache into Gulf Hagus, That is maybe a two or three cache day but for mine you will walk 4.5 miles just for one.
    I'll definitely have to keep those in mind, I like a good trek into the woods
    (and I like puzzling ones even more)

And to make "Battleship" (GCB688) even more tantalizing - we left a white jeep in it!

Anne
    TwoMaineiacs / Anne and Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    Here's one for you all. I was talking to a cousin who also caches and he asked a question of me, "What is the most interesting thing you've found in a mini-dumpster?" He, of course, was referring to the cache container. I told him what I've previously posted here that my reasons for caching are not the trade items but the hunt. Anyways, thought people may find his sentiment amusing if not concerning.

Happy Caching.
    My wife calls it "geo-trashing."