vb:literal>

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Am I Wrong???

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    Wow, quite a popular thread goin here. Glad to see that some other people share my views and concerns. I'm gunna keep this short for tonight because my eyes are hurting from FireFighterJakes speach
    I can't help it . . . I'm a writer and writers write.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

The problem with trying to judge what is in a cache is that mant times what you see as garbage is a treasure to somone else. I was caching and found a usb cable in a cahce, at the time I had no need for it but there has been times when I had thought, I wish I had picked that up. But then I do not trade often, it is not about the trade to me, it is the places that I go that a truely enjoy. When I place a cache the the 1st thing I look at is why would I want to go here. What here do I find interesting and why would I want to go back cause I know I will be going back to check on it. Then I consider the place to hide. I have only once considered a lamp post micro and that was only as a joke for a place holder for a mystery cache. I myself would much rather not find a bunch of caches in really cool spots than 1 cache in the wally world parking lot. But that is just my 2 cents worth.

Robt

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    ..... soo... shouldn't somebody write up a caching code of conduct that we could put on the page somewhere, like under "about geocaching" so that those new to the lovely addiction of geocaching can get started off on the right foot, by being educated to not leave trash, pick up the trash, trade fairly, keep the TBs going, ect, ect? I personally think that writing something up and having it approved by the site and it's members and then having it posted on the site would do a good service to the geocaching community. anyone else agree?
    Its hard to write rules/restrictive guidelines that encompass everyones ideas of geocaching. Who would enforce them? There are accepted guidelines (GC.COM) already out there that you and I and most every other geocacher adhere too. To force our ideas, at a local or state level, on others so "we" can conform the sport of geocaching to fit into our ideals is not conducive to promoting geocaching in general. If we did so, then Connecticut may adopt a whole new set of guidelines and Nova Scotia, etc. etc.
    The best way to reform the sport is to lead by example. If you and I leave "nice" trade item and remove the "trash" then you have made the biggest contribution to this sport by showing what is expected of new cachers. Unfortunately that leads to another issue, what is a good trade item. Some folks apply a dollar value as a "Nice" item others think interesting signature items are great. Then there is everything in-between. I'm sure some people think TRF signature item is junk while others collect them simply because they are trade items; the latters our mantra.
    I brought my daughter to a cache and in the container was an old shotgun shell and a rock. She's 4 y.o. and she found value in those 2 items and concocted stories that she still talks about after 2 months. The shotgun shell came from a robber's gun who stole the rock that has gold in it and the robber hid it in the box so nobody would find it and on and on and on. At another cache she found a plastic fish that had been in the container obviously for months, it was weathered and tattered and a whole bag of these fish at Wal-mart cost a $1. She thought she found the best prize in the world. Like all kids, she completely forgot about the fish in 20 mins and Mom tossed it in the trash. The most valuable thing I got from either of these 2 caches are the stories and the adventure of doing the cache with my daughter. Now, I'm not saying that I like to see old shotgun shells and rocks in a cache and I'm not thanking the person for leaving them behind but what I am saying is lets look at it as my daughter did. Her glass is always half full it's never a rainy, day it's a day to play indoors, all clouds have silver linings etc. etc. As we get older we get more pessimistic and stop seeing the trees through the forest. Take the time to enjoy the sport of geocaching.
    Getting back to your point, how could we start telling people how to act or behave, we all take something different away from each cache we do. Its been mentioned in past threads and I will reiterate; if you don't like the way a certain team/person places caches or if you don't like micros, don't do them. Lets not worry how other folks cache or behave rather let us worry how we, personally cache and behave.

The soapbox is now ready for the next person.

More often than not I just sign the log if I'm by myself. When Piglet comes along for a hunt, we always bring good stuff to trade. As always I try to hide the cache better than the way I found it.

For me cachin' is not about the numbers, cache contents, or the way the container is hidden, its about getting out and enjoying everything the outdoors has to offer.

I used to try to keep my caches well stocked but the cache raders always seem to clean them out in no time. A log and a few trinkits from the $ store is all I stock them with now.

Now Robt- Please dont throw the pooh!

LOL, I fogot that I still had that as my signature. Was one of thoose days at work when I put it there..

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh and friends
    More often than not I just sign the log if I'm by myself. When Piglet comes along for a hunt, we always bring good stuff to trade. As always I try to hide the cache better than the way I found it.

For me cachin' is not about the numbers, cache contents, or the way the container is hidden, its about getting out and enjoying everything the outdoors has to offer.

I used to try to keep my caches well stocked but the cache raders always seem to clean them out in no time. A log and a few trinkits from the $ store is all I stock them with now.

Now Robt- Please dont throw the pooh!

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    If you and I leave "nice" trade item and remove the "trash" then you have made the biggest contribution to this sport by showing what is expected of new cachers.
    I STRONGLY object to this! I do not believe you have the right to "clean up" somone elses cache because you don't like what's in it. It is the cache owner's responsibility to maintain it and determine what they want in the cache. The old saying still holds: one man's trash is another man's treasure.

True, a lot of cache owners don't do the maintenance they should be doing, but it is not up to us to decide what should be in their cache.

Having said that (and as I've said before) there is nothing wrong with being helpful and drying out a wet cache, or removing soaked paper items, or putting the log book in a new plastic bag if the current one is torn.

IMHO...

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    I STRONGLY object to this! I do not believe you have the right to "clean up" somone elses cache because you don't like what's in it. It is the cache owner's responsibility to maintain it and determine what they want in the cache. The old saying still holds: one man's trash is another man's treasure.

True, a lot of cache owners don't do the maintenance they should be doing, but it is not up to us to decide what should be in their cache.

Having said that (and as I've said before) there is nothing wrong with being helpful and drying out a wet cache, or removing soaked paper items, or putting the log book in a new plastic bag if the current one is torn.

IMHO...
    Object all you want!!!!,,,,who said clean out the cache? I said trash. Trash is distinguishable from a swag, i.e. sticks, stone, cigerette butts, old shotgun shells, dog droppings, etc. etc. Besides CITO is suppose to be a geocaching ethos. You've gone way out on a limb here to argue.
    If your trying to make a point about the cache owners responsibility, then I agree with you to a certain point but if your telling me to leave the dog sh@# behind because its the cache owners responsibility, then I think your going a little to far.

Sorry, but I disagree with you on that.

Happy Caching!!!

Red face Responsible cachers

I know most of you and enjoy caching and seeing you at events. I can say with a great amount of certainty, that we are all responsible cachers. I don't think anyone is cleaning out caches. But I do think we are looking at the contents, and making the right decisions. The Team has made it a rule to clean and maintenance caches whenever it is warranted. We have seen some very neglected caches and notified the owners. Thats how we came to adopt Hinckley Park in South Portland. Again being responsible cachers and doing the right thing. Maine is a wonderful place to cache and WE ALL are the reason why. When visiting your next find. " Do the right thing ". Thanks for listening, and making Maine the place to find.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

I am kinda slacking in my posting here lately, I'd just like to have Hiram and others that might not have read my Setting an Example thread to do so and consider that option.

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    stone
    I have left stones of some sort. I put slate from Slate in one of my own caches.