vb:literal>

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Am I Wrong???

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    I have left stones of some sort. I put slate from Slate in one of my own caches.
    I wouldn't object to slate from Slate in Slate's cache.

I need to find that cache someday just because it shares my username.

I don't think your wrong Hiram, I feel the same. I have been to so many unmaintained caches that it's starting to be a joke. But when you look at the profiles of some of the persons placing them you can understand why they go to pot. Who on earth is going to take care of theire cache when they only have a couple finds, or worse yet no finds. That's why I like minis or micros so much, they are much more challenging to find and if your only signing logs anyway you don't have to sort through junk. Just my thoughts, John

Cool My opinion...

I like all of them. Big, small, micro. There have been a few that I have just refused to look for because of their location. And that's my perogative. I don't chastize the cache owner since others are enjoying them. I just don't choose to myself. As the old saying goes...Opinions are like A**holes, everybody has one. Thanks for listening to mine.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Slate
    I wouldn't object to slate from Slate in Slate's cache.

I need to find that cache someday just because it shares my username.
    It's been in Celestial Navigation for a long time, but I'll move it if you really want!

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    Its hard to write rules/restrictive guidelines that encompass everyones ideas of geocaching. Who would enforce them? There are accepted guidelines (GC.COM) already out there that you and I and most every other geocacher adhere too. To force our ideas, at a local or state level, on others so "we" can conform the sport of geocaching to fit into our ideals is not conducive to promoting geocaching in general. If we did so, then Connecticut may adopt a whole new set of guidelines and Nova Scotia, etc. etc.
    The best way to reform the sport is to lead by example. If you and I leave "nice" trade item and remove the "trash" then you have made the biggest contribution to this sport by showing what is expected of new cachers. Unfortunately that leads to another issue, what is a good trade item. Some folks apply a dollar value as a "Nice" item others think interesting signature items are great. Then there is everything in-between. I'm sure some people think TRF signature item is junk while others collect them simply because they are trade items; the latters our mantra.
    I brought my daughter to a cache and in the container was an old shotgun shell and a rock. She's 4 y.o. and she found value in those 2 items and concocted stories that she still talks about after 2 months. The shotgun shell came from a robber's gun who stole the rock that has gold in it and the robber hid it in the box so nobody would find it and on and on and on. At another cache she found a plastic fish that had been in the container obviously for months, it was weathered and tattered and a whole bag of these fish at Wal-mart cost a $1. She thought she found the best prize in the world. Like all kids, she completely forgot about the fish in 20 mins and Mom tossed it in the trash. The most valuable thing I got from either of these 2 caches are the stories and the adventure of doing the cache with my daughter. Now, I'm not saying that I like to see old shotgun shells and rocks in a cache and I'm not thanking the person for leaving them behind but what I am saying is lets look at it as my daughter did. Her glass is always half full it's never a rainy, day it's a day to play indoors, all clouds have silver linings etc. etc. As we get older we get more pessimistic and stop seeing the trees through the forest. Take the time to enjoy the sport of geocaching.
    Getting back to your point, how could we start telling people how to act or behave, we all take something different away from each cache we do. Its been mentioned in past threads and I will reiterate; if you don't like the way a certain team/person places caches or if you don't like micros, don't do them. Lets not worry how other folks cache or behave rather let us worry how we, personally cache and behave.

The soapbox is now ready for the next person.
    I'm not saying to make a set of laws for all geocachers to abide by, I'm just saying to write up a nice little paragraph or two explaining that caches are not trash cans and so on, so that people new to the sport get an idea of what caching is like (take the thread posted "Marooned Travel Bug" this guy from ohio took a trip down the alagash and dropped off someone else's travel bug off in a plastic bag on the islands!) perhaps if somebody would have told him that was a stupid idea and he was killing someones travel bug, he would have thought twice. just like if we were to tell people, "hey don't put your chewing gum in a cache" we could help to prevent nice caches from become geo-trashes

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957
    I like all of them. Big, small, micro. There have been a few that I have just refused to look for because of their location. And that's my perogative. I don't chastize the cache owner since others are enjoying them. I just don't choose to myself. As the old saying goes...Opinions are like A**holes, everybody has one. Thanks for listening to mine.
    I'LL DRINK TO THAT!! (heck, I'll drink a few times to that)

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    I'm not saying to make a set of laws for all geocachers to abide by, I'm just saying to write up a nice little paragraph or two explaining that caches are not trash cans and so on, so that people new to the sport get an idea of what caching is like (take the thread posted "Marooned Travel Bug" this guy from ohio took a trip down the alagash and dropped off someone else's travel bug off in a plastic bag on the islands!) perhaps if somebody would have told him that was a stupid idea and he was killing someones travel bug, he would have thought twice. just like if we were to tell people, "hey don't put your chewing gum in a cache" we could help to prevent nice caches from become geo-trashes
    I honestly think that if you have to tell a person not to leave their chewed chewing gum in a cache, chances are that person would do it anyways.
    The individual who left the TB in the Allagash has chastised himself for having done this, he admitted his mistake openly in our forums and chances are he won't make it again. As you said, he's from Ohio, if Mainegeocaching had a section explaining the can and can't do's it stands to reason he may not have read it before his excursion into the Allagash seeing how he is from away.
    Its not that I don't understand your frustration or that you don't have a valid point but most geocachers hold themselves to a certain standard when geocaching and that is what makes the overall experience great. Unfortunately, there are always those that don't care and create the frustration we all face when opening up a cache and finding cigarette butts. This brings me back to my original point that maybe we could remove the cigarette butts (Sorry WhereRWe?) and make the cache a little better for the next cacher.

Happy Caching!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    I have left stones of some sort. I put slate from Slate in one of my own caches.
    Hehe, I meant grab a rock that was lying beside the cache and toss it in for the next cacher. As matter of fact I got a polished stone used as a signature item and a piece of crystal Quartz out of caches that I thought were really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    I honestly think that if you have to tell a person not to leave their chewed chewing gum in a cache, chances are that person would do it anyways.
    The individual who left the TB in the Allagash has chastised himself for having done this, he admitted his mistake openly in our forums and chances are he won't make it again. As you said, he's from Ohio, if Mainegeocaching had a section explaining the can and can't do's it stands to reason he may not have read it before his excursion into the Allagash seeing how he is from away.
    Its not that I don't understand your frustration or that you don't have a valid point but most geocachers hold themselves to a certain standard when geocaching and that is what makes the overall experience great. Unfortunately, there are always those that don't care and create the frustration we all face when opening up a cache and finding cigarette butts. This brings me back to my original point that maybe we could remove the cigarette butts (Sorry WhereRWe?) and make the cache a little better for the next cacher.

Happy Caching!!!
    ::nodding head in agreement::

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957
    As the old saying goes...Opinions are like A**holes, everybody has one. Thanks for listening to mine.
    I assume when you say "listening to mine" you mean your opinion . . . and not a-hole?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."