vb:literal>

Thread: GCQ8TC Indian Pond Underwater Railroad by FFFarmer

Thumbs up GCQ8TC Indian Pond Underwater Railroad by FFFarmer

I haven't been caching but for a month or so. When I first got my GPSr my first thought was to figure out a way to find all the caches in Maine! Well, I've been tempered in the last month and I've got a few caches under my belt and after doing a few drive-by caches, I'm definitely a purveyor of quality over quantity.

It was with this in mind that I saw a cache on Indian Pond. For over a month, this went uncollected and now that I've done it, I'm surprised no one did. This is an 8-leg multi-cache that requires a kayak or canoe or perhaps a small motorboat.

Indian Pond is a few miles outside of Greenville so coming from Cape Elizabeth is an investment of time. I have to say this is more than worth the drive. It's a beautiful lake and I happened to hit it on a wonderful day. I won't reiterate what you can read in the log on GC.com, only to say that it took about 4 hours to complete by myself at a pretty leisurely pace. fffarmer took a lot of time to prepare this with laminated clues, camouflaged pill bottles, and well-placed cache locations. If you're a kayaker/cacher I'd highly recommend this, especially with the foliage here in the next couple of weeks.

Being new to this, are there other caches like this? "this" being kayak/canoe caches or multi-caches, or land-based caches that take more than 10 minutes to find? Ones that would get a "10"?

I'm also curious why this sat for a month without anyone going after it. So many others are found the day they are published or perhaps the next day. Was it the location (outside of Greenville)? Was it the boating requirement? Was it the eight-leg multi?

I had so much fun doing this cache that I've thought about doing something similar in Southern Maine and wonder what might make it enticing...

Thanks, bhansenme

I'd have to admit that I am a bit biased, but if you want to make a trip out of a cache either by kayak or ferry, check out Daytripper and Wreck Cove on Long Island - right out there in the bay!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

d’76 Guest

Many of the multi caches in the bangor area are well worth it. Island Hoppers is a pushaw lake multi that you need a boat for.

Quote Originally Posted by bhansenme

I'm also curious why this sat for a month without anyone going after it. So many others are found the day they are published or perhaps the next day. Was it the location (outside of Greenville)? Was it the boating requirement? Was it the eight-leg multi?
    Just guessing here, but I'm thinking it may be due to the remote location . . . which is also why it may also have a certain appeal to some folks. It may also be due to the fact that it is a longer-multi or that you need water transportation . . . or it could simply be a combination of all three. I will say this though . . . you probably made Ron's day since he was telling me about this cache even before it was posted on-line and he was wondering if anyone would bother to do it and if they would enjoy it or not.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Yeah I think the remoteness of the cache probably has more to do with it not being found before now. Glad you enjoyed it and when I get a chance to borrow another kayak I think it would be a great trip to do but with the lateness of the season now it probably won't be til next summer now for me at least. A few of us went up to do Dave1976's cache at Gulf Hagas today and it was absolutely beautiful up there as well.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I have no problem with remoteness--one cache in a day is fine--but, I don't do boats. Someone hiding this type of cache must (IMHO) be willing to accept a modest amount of seekers.

Thumbs up My Day Has Been Made

When We placed this cache we knew it would not get a lot of hits for the reasons you have all stated. We were just so excited about the cache , the pond, etc. that we wanted to share it with someone. We are happy that it was found this year and we are sure it will get a few visits next year.
    Just look at other kayak caches and especially the ones in remote areas.

Thanks bhansenme for the promo of our cache (your ca$h will be in be mail)