vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Micro's in Lewiston

Default Micro's in Lewiston

We all know how much most of us hate micro cache here in Maine. Well here is a couple that you will really rant and rave about.

Well we went to do two micros this afternoon and it gave me a bad taste in my mouth. Not that I liked them in the first place but I will warn everyone about these two. They are "Downtown LA - Park Street" and
    "Downtown LA II" - Gateway Park. Here is my idea on micro's and what I originally posted in the logs about it and was asked to remove it by the cache owner. No disrespect towards the owner is intended here. Just stating my opinion on this.

This is one of the reason I hate micro's. You drive a long distance in some cases to go to do a cache and see places that you have never seen and you spend the whole time trying to find a stupid micro and not having time to see the place it took you to. It also makes you look like a fool looking for the micro and makes people wonder what the heck you are doing and then everyone ask what you are doing and you have it takes up your time because you have to explain what geocaching is all about. I will not come back to this micro unless I come with a whole group of people.

This had definitely made me change my mind about micro's. I will eliminate micro caches from my geocaching finds from now on unless I go with a large group of cachers together.

So my advice to anyone that is going to drive a long distance to look for there caches is don't bother unless you really like the challenges of hard micro's. Save your gas for something that will take you to a more interesting places rather than a park that is less then 100 feet square with nothing in it to see.
    Last edited by attroll; 10-03-2005 at 12:28 AM.
    Blazing Troll

Sorry you do not like doing micros. It is my prefered cache, both doing and hiding.

I have put explicit hints down for both of them.

Granted it is not a rubber maid container hid under a pile of sticks with a wet log or old stash in it, but it is a cache that is legally placed and well with in the guidelines set by Geocaching.com.

I personally hate puzzle caches and usually do not do many of them for that reason. What I do not do is go on a rant about it.

I have emailed you and asked that you redo your log entries. You can rant on here, but please do not rant in the log entry.

As for what the future holds, I am just getting started. Some like a bit of a challenge.

P.S. I emailed you the hints that you need to log the cache. When you do Park Street let me know when your coming up and I'll buy lunch or breakfest.

Cache On!

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler
    Sorry you do not like doing micros. It is my prefered cache, both doing and hiding.

I have put explicit hints down for both of them.

Granted it is not a rubber maid container hid under a pile of sticks with a wet log or old stash in it, but it is a cache that is legally placed and well with in the guidelines set by Geocaching.com.

I personally hate puzzle caches and usually do not do many of them for that reason. What I do not do is go on a rant about it.

I have emailed you and asked that you redo your log entries. You can rant on here, but please do not rant in the log entry.

As for what the future holds, I am just getting started. Some like a bit of a challenge.

P.S. I emailed you the hints that you need to log the cache. When you do Park Street let me know when your coming up and I'll buy lunch or breakfest.

Cache On!
    As I stated above. Not disrespect towards you and I hope you do not take it that way. I was just stating my opinions on micro's and to tell people that have to drive a long ways not to waist there gas if they have a hard time with micro's. I know if people drive a long ways to do one then drive all the way back home too and then get another hint from the cache placer that it will not site to well with the price of gas as it is. Chances are they may not make the drive back to look for it again. I will go and edit my entries as soon as I get done reading this site here.
    Blazing Troll

Before you give up on micros, try Keewaydin Lake Micro Treasure, Waterfront Property and Farbucks 13.

Rick, I wonder if you hate micros or don't like urban caches. I am very picky about urban caches, so I know what you mean about being watched. It's just not my cup of tea either.

But, there are city people and country folk. If you were truly comfortable with being in a city, the people would not be a concern at all. I'm sure we've all heard a lot of complaints from city people who discover insects and poisonous plants and can't imagine why anyone would lure the unsuspecting cacher to such a place.

There is really no need to write OR be offended by the truth. Micros are great, if you like them, Swamps are great, if you like them, Urban caches are great, if you like them, even entertaining the locals can be fun!

Just be sure you are honest and not misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    We all know how much most of us hate micro cache here in Maine. Well here is a couple that you will really rant and rave about.
    Rick, I don't think anyone has badmouthed microcaches in this forum more than me. But I have seen some that are very well placed, worth the hunt, and definitely have a reason for being a micro. Before RULOST2? and I went on our trip to Illinois, I joked a lot about becoming a "cache whore" and visiting Nashville (sometimes known as "Cacheville") on the way back. After we started out, we even got email from a promonent Nasheville cacher offering to "show us around". By that time we had already decided to head north and thue kept our reputations more or less intact.

We cached in 7 states, and a lot of the caches we hit were micros. There are dozens of them on Canadian route 401 through Ontario, almost all in the beautiful picnic areas they have at the rest stops. They'd be great for kids taking a break on long trip.

We'll never accept the film can in the lightpost at the fast food restaurant or shopping center, but micros have a purpose. And yes, I've been PO'd many times because we couldn't find the freaking mcro!

Anyway, check this cache. It was the last one of our trip out west, and quite appropriate to the discussion. The cache is in Quebec, but the description is in both French and English:

De Nashville à Sherbrooke

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    But I have seen some that are very well placed, worth the hunt, and definitely have a reason for being a micro.
    We'll never accept the film can in the lightpost at the fast food restaurant or shopping center, but micros have a purpose. And yes, I've been PO'd many times because we couldn't find the freaking mcro!
    [/URL]
    We have placed a couple of small caches that could be considered micros and included good hints, since everyone has been able to find them, which I thought fit the area and traffic well. We have seen some very enjoyable and challenging micros, some of which TAT mentioned, along with the Off Your Rocker caches at Cracker Barrel restaurants that are a hoot. Finding these caches were not as difficult as retrieving them with so many people coming and going. Reading the logs about the techniques people use to get them is hilarious. So micros can be fun...and frustrating. I think good hints should be included though...after all...finding them is SO MUCH less frustrating. If you don't like micros, don't do them. If you don't like 2-mile walks don't do them. That's what's great about caching...you CAN pick the ones you want to do.

If you don' like micros why don't you just block them on your cache find page, and not bother wasting your time looking for them,(especially if your not good enough to find them) rather that knock someone who in my opinion is darn creative in thinking up hides. I was FTF on two of them and will admit I had to go back twice to Park St, but I think they were great hides. It dosen't take a lot of thinking to put out (or find) a leaky tupperware container under a couple sticks that is so easy to find even with bad co-ords a 4 year old can find it. I also think it's not very nice to down someone, just because you can't find their caches. Maybe you should just stick to 1 1/2 to 2 hides and leave the 3 and 4 hides to those who can find them. Please don't try to find my 3 and 4 cache hides, I don't need the unwarrented bad press. I think your caches were great ideas Dick, and hope you don't let a sore sport get you down. John
    P.S. The only ones that don't like micros are the ones that can't find them, Dah.

Angry Let's not be rude..

There is a line here of common courtesy, and I feel you have just crossed it.
    Last edited by Mainiac1957; 10-03-2005 at 07:03 PM.
    Happy Trails!

d’76 Guest

I agree with you Brad. After alll does it matter who likes what for caches.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957
    There is a line here of common courtesy, and I feel you have just crossed it.
    I agree. Thanks for saying what I felt, Brad.