vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Parperless for Dummies

Quote Originally Posted by FFFarmer
    Thanks WhereRWe, I think we are getting there, see you can teach a Dummie!!!!!!!!!

LOL! I think you need to come to a couple of geocaching events. "Geocaching for Dummies" has been passed out as a door prize a couple of times I believe!

d’76 Guest

I have the book Geocaching for Dummies.(how appropriate) and would lend it to anyone interested and then pass it one to the next victim of technology.

DAve

Unhappy I need a drink!!!!!

So far I have GSAK downloaded to the computer and Cachemate to the Palm, but I can't seem to figure out where to go from here. I am about to start a thread "smashed electronics for drunken Dummies"

d’76 Guest

The file that you download from GSAK you need to convert to a cache mate file for the palm. Go to the actual file in "your computer" labeled cachemate then open "file converter" Then open "cmconvent" that has a globe icon next to it. That will open the file converter at that point drag the red GSAK icon to the open window of the file converter and see what happens. I know it's alot of BS all at once but its worth it.

Good Luck,
    Dave

Thanks Dave, I'm totally lost, I couldn't get your PM
    nothing is working so I'm going to call it quits for now
    besides my wife is dragging me away.

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FFFarmer
    Thanks Dave, I'm totally lost, I couldn't get your PM
    nothing is working so I'm going to call it quits for now
    besides my wife is dragging me away.
    Go get em Tiger

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    The file that you download from GSAK you need to convert to a cache mate file for the palm. Go to the actual file in "your computer" labeled cachemate then open "file converter" Then open "cmconvent" that has a globe icon next to it. That will open the file converter at that point drag the red GSAK icon to the open window of the file converter and see what happens. I know it's alot of BS all at once but its worth it.

Good Luck,
    Dave
    There is not converting need Dave. Wow, I would be lost too.

First you need to set up and run a query on GC web site(to run query's you must be a Premium Member). Once you get the query then it will be sent to you in a zip file to your email address. You will need to unzip the file.

When the file has been unzipped then go to GSAK and then click on the open icon(the folder at the top left on screen) and go to the file you unzipped and open it. This will put all the caches that you set up in your querry into GSAK for you. Now you will need to get the files you want to put on you palm into cachemate. That would most likely be the not found caches I am asuming. There is a lot of way to do this. You can pick and choose. But I will make it simple until you have played with it some more.

On the bottom left hand side of the GSAK screen you will see four different color boxes with numbers in it. Double click the white box. This should bring up all the caches that you have not found. Now click on the Cachemate icon in the top of the GASK screen(blue scircel with flag in it). This will prompt you to another screen where you will have to pick where you want to save the file it is going to create. Make sure there is a check mark in INSTALL TO PALM AFTER CONVERSION. I pretty much put a check mark in all the boxes on this screen. Now click Generate.

After this is done then all you need to do is Hot Sync you palm to you computer and the file will upload to th palm. Once that is done and you open cachemate on the palm it will ask you where you want to opne the file to. If it is the not found caches them open it in the NOT Found file.

I hope this did not confuse you more. I tried my best to explain it good.

Like Bruce said if you come to hte next cache event then we can show you if you can not get it figured out.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976

Good Luck,
    Dave
    No, no - it's a lot easier that that.

FFFArmer - I assume you have a docking station for your Zire with Hot Sync capabilities. Secondly, I also assume the Cachemate software is loaded and configured.

I also assume you've downloaded a pocket query and have loaded it into GSAK.

In GSAK, click on file/export/cachemate pdb file. This will create a cachemate file (the waypoints) on your desktop. Use your Hotsync software and the waypoints will be loaded into cachemate on your PDA. (Sot sure of the exact procedure with the Zire 31, but looks like you have a hotsync cable to connect the computer/PDA at least. Your software will give you instructions on transferring the file to the PDA).

You can load the same waypoints into your GPS from GSAK by clicking on gps/send waypoints.

Works great.

Email me if you have problems - easier than using this thread.

lbruce@somtel.com

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    You will need to unzip the file. When the file has been unzipped then go to GSAK and then click on the open icon(the folder at the top left on screen) and go to the file you unzipped and open it.
    You can actually save a step in this process. There is no need to unzip the file, GSAK will handle the zipped file. I usually just save the zip file to my desktop and click and drag it into GSAK.

Quote Originally Posted by Slate
    You can actually save a step in this process. There is no need to unzip the file, GSAK will handle the zipped file. I usually just save the zip file to my desktop and click and drag it into GSAK.
    Did you do something to GSAK to make it do that? It won't handle zipped files for me...