vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Parperless for Dummies

Quote Originally Posted by FFFarmer
    So far I have GSAK downloaded to the computer and Cachemate to the Palm, but I can't seem to figure out where to go from here. I am about to start a thread "smashed electronics for drunken Dummies"
    Sounds like FFFarmer may have exceeded the crucial alcohol content level. 1-2 drinks = takes the edge off the belief that messing with the Palm, computer and GPS will totally erase all memory. 6-7 drinks = takes away the one thing keeping you from smashing said Palm, computer and GPS with a 5 lb. ballpeen hammer.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

After attempting to follow this thread this "Dummy of Dummies" thinks he will stick to his tried and true, "wet, soggy and crumpled-up paper" system.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Did you do something to GSAK to make it do that? It won't handle zipped files for me...
    I don't think I had to make any changes to the settings. Are you using the most recent version? I am using version 6.0.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Slate
    You can actually save a step in this process. There is no need to unzip the file, GSAK will handle the zipped file. I usually just save the zip file to my desktop and click and drag it into GSAK.
    I did not know that. I will have to give that a try. Thanks
    Blazing Troll

I also have version 6.0.2.
    the electronics survived the night and I am ready to take another stab at it

Quote Originally Posted by Slate
    You can actually save a step in this process. There is no need to unzip the file, GSAK will handle the zipped file. I usually just save the zip file to my desktop and click and drag it into GSAK.
    NO KIDDING, IT WORKS!!!!!! I get 3 pocket queries daily from GC.COM and install them into GSAK using my own macro. I originally unzipped the attachments from gc.com but I found all I had to do was tell it to load the "zip" file and it works perfectly, even when using a Macro!!! Thanks for the tip!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    After attempting to follow this thread this "Dummy of Dummies" thinks he will stick to his tried and true, "wet, soggy and crumpled-up paper" system.
    Well,,,,,you do work for the Bangor Fire Dept.,,,,,we understand........LOL

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Thanks, but I do that already but am unable or change the destination from handheld to SD card.

Guess I should have been more specific...
    I have an old PALM M515 so that would have been nice to but the database on the SD card, (and I have) but cachemate doesn't recognize it. I find alot of times that a card writer works better than "hotsyncing" and it is a lot faster. Plus with the card writer its easier to remove the old databases if your not overwriting them.

Cool We finally got it!!!!!!!!

Thanks to a quick call to GeoTech Support (Dave 1976) we finally got Geocaching.com talking to the computer, and the computer talking to the palm.
    We have finally gone PAPERLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks to everyone that helped out, I was able to use alot of that info.

Quote Originally Posted by FFFarmer
    Thanks to everyone that helped out, I was able to use alot of that info.
    You're welcome!