vb:literal>

Thread: New Google Earth Feature

Thumbs up New Google Earth Feature

Don't know if you all know it but we have quite a few new features as premium members of GC.com. One of them is the Google Earth feature using KML files. So what the heck are KML files and how does one use this new feature to show the caches in your area on the Google Earth map? I am on dial-up and I have downloaded the Google Earth feature a few weeks ago but as of yet have not used it. Can someone please enlighten us on the specifics as how to use this very useful function,it looks pretty neat but need some instructions as to it's use. Thanks Haffy<-------- the non geek....
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    Don't know if you all know it but we have quite a few new features as premium members of GC.com. One of them is the Google Earth feature using KML files. So what the heck are KML files and how does one use this new feature to show the caches in your area on the Google Earth map? I am on dial-up and I have downloaded the Google Earth feature a few weeks ago but as of yet have not used it. Can someone please enlighten us on the specifics as how to use this very useful function,it looks pretty neat but need some instructions as to it's use. Thanks Haffy<-------- the non geek....

Don't worry. I'm as much of a geek as anyone, and I don't know what .kml files are, either! LOL!

Question Not sure either

I opened Google Earth for GC.com and it is a really cool feature. When you zoom into an area of the planet it will shop topography, roads, buildings, points of interest, as well as CACHES. Way too cool for sure. It is a streaming feature so I'm not sure how well it will work on your dial up John. It is awesome on Broadbad though. Do you know you can get Verizon 768k connection on you home phone line for only 14.95 a month now? You need to be within 3 miles of the CO however. Call them and they will tell you if it's available .
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957
    It is awesome on Broadbad though. Do you know you can get Verizon 768k connection on you home phone line for only 14.95 a month now? You need to be within 3 miles of the CO however. Call them and they will tell you if it's available .
    Sigh... Some of us DREAM of broadband...

I'm "serviced" by TDS Telecom. I don't expect to see DSL anytime soon. I'm waiting for some entrepreneur to offer WiMax in our area. (Cable internet is offered in a VERY limited area in our town, but the service is lousy. About what you'd expect from a backrupt company...)

(But there is a successful challenge to the "Baby Bell's" monopoly on the lines they own. Vern Burke from Skowhegan - the guy who was the FIRST to offer internet access in the Skowhegan area - sued Verizon and won the right to offer DSL over their lines.)

Default cool!

that is sooooooooo cool! it shows all the caches on the island, and has a ghost for the virtual stone town airport and an envelope for the letterbox hybrid at shore acres. and i wasn't home that day, because my car isn't in the driveway. way cool.
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

Yeah I've tried to get Verizon DSL for some time now but they don't come out on 139 quite this far yet but I am crossing my fingers that they do soon. In the mean time I'll just have to do with dial-up I guess.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.