vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help needed with planning event cache

Talking Help needed with planning event cache

Hello,
    I'm thinking about hosting an event cache to collect items for a local charity, seeing as how I've only been able to attend one cache I really don't have much experience in this and was wondering if there was anybody that would be able to help in this planning. Any feedback or help would be much appreciated. Thanks so much and remember the blaze orange!

flwrldy&buds

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think you will succeed in such an event if you make the theme of the event to be the charity.

From Geocaching.com's Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines:

"Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers. After the event has passed, the event cache should be archived by the organizer within four weeks. While a music concert, a garage sale, a ham radio field day or town’s fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers. In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list."

Two charity caches were allowed for the Tsunami victims, but as you can see in the reviewer's notes in the link for one of the events below, it would appear a local charity would not stand a chance.

Asian Tsunami Memorial Cache - UK

There is at least one charity "traditional" geocache. It is called Pit Stop Charity Cache, but from what I gather even those would be near impossible to approve.

While it is a great idea, I can see gc.com's side as well. I would suggest you email a reviewer like gpsfun and find out what the chances of such an event may be before I went too far in the planning stage.

EDIT: One option might be: Event where people bring household items for trade items, and any items not taken from the pile go to charity. And, if anyone wants to take any items - Me, Noreasta, and a few other larger cachers convince them otherwise.

d’76 Guest

I like Brdads idea, with a twist we could make it a holiday meal cache and we could all bring our canned goods and such that we where going to prepare at the event and then get to busy to prepare the food and just hung out.

Or you could just have a container at the event to help with the cost of "preperation" We did that at the beer and wings event for helping with the web page. THat worked out ok.

wbdent Yes I think a holiday event would be the only way to got right now. Tink and I were thinking about doing a Thanksgiving or Xmas event but we decided that it probably would not work out. Xmas would be to hard to get everyone together on the weekend of December. People and married couple usually have the in-laws that they got to and have there own little pre Xmas party’s at. This usually takes up two weekends in December. That leaves one weekend free in December before Xmas. That weekend would most likely not be the same weekend everyone would have free. Thanksgiving has been tossed around. We even talked to Smitty & CO. about doing a Thanksgiving event together in Skowhegan but we don’t know if that will go anywhere. It is only a month away and we are still recuperating from this weekends event.

wbdent So to sum it up a holiday event would be AWESOME, but finding a time when most people can attend it the tricky part I think. We know there is going to be a coin event in December and WhereRWe? is going to have his event again in January or February again and Big G’s. So those things have to be kept in mind also.
    Blazing Troll

If you plan an "normal" event cache, without mentioning anything about the charity, it would be approved.

Then, post all the charity information here.

Any way of turning a coin distribution event into a cash distribution (for charity) event too? The Maine coins will be ready for (hopefully) a Dec 10th event, or worst case, Dec 17th. I have read in the newspaper that with all the national/international disasters lately, the local food banks and animal shelters are down a significant percentage from normal and need some help. Maybe we can get our coins passed out and pass back something for others too.

I asked flwrldy about this. She just wants donations for a couple of charities. My advice to her is to host an event - we haven't had one in Skowhegan yet - and ask that attendees bring a donation (to be explained in the cache description). W don't have any events scheduled fo November or December - perhaps a Christmas event where you bring a "present" for charity?

Expanding on a College Fraternity/Sorority tradition, could we have a geocaching "RUSH" Event? The idea behind the event then could be to invite muggles with charitable gifts of food and introduce them to geocaching. Maybe get a speaker to tell muggles all about geocaching. Have a few geocaching games with and without GPSr's and so on. Anyways a charity type event is a great idea and I hope to see it happen !!

Does Dec 3 work for everybody? or some people?

Quote Originally Posted by flwrldy&buds
    Does Dec 3 work for everybody? or some people?
    What town are you planning to have this in?
    Blazing Troll