vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet Fraud

Hybrid View

d’76 Guest

Default Internet Fraud

I got an email today from Bangor Savings bank saying that there has been several failed attempts to access my accounts at BSB, In the email they gave the ip address of the computer that the email came from, Bangor savings said that if I did not respond to this email by the 28th of OCT that they where closing my accounts, In the request email they want me to click a link and enter the following info: Credit Card #, Date of Experation and the PIN number. This all seems a little wierd and so I pinged my machine and it wasn't my computer so i don't know where the IP address is coming from. Any thoughts??

Dave

Have you called your bank and/or forwarded the e mail? Being a banker in Florida, fraud capital of the country, I hear about these things a lot - Usually after the customer has supplied their information. Your bank would want to know and may likely be able to help you find out where it came from. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    I got an email today from Bangor Savings bank saying that there has been several failed attempts to access my accounts at BSB, In the email they gave the ip address of the computer that the email came from, Bangor savings said that if I did not respond to this email by the 28th of OCT that they where closing my accounts, In the request email they want me to click a link and enter the following info: Credit Card #, Date of Experation and the PIN number. This all seems a little wierd and so I pinged my machine and it wasn't my computer so i don't know where the IP address is coming from. Any thoughts??

Dave

Its a scam....as obvious as they come. Your suspicious was warranted, the links provided may even install a "trojan" onto your computer so it can be accessed. If you call Bangor Savings more than likely they have had no issue with your account. There are similiar scam/emails for CitiBank, BancNorth, Key Bank, PayPal and eBay and I'm sure many others. I'm surprised you haven't had any of those emails yet.

d’76 Guest

I did a spy sweep and nothing came up. No trojans or spy ware I will do a norton scan in a minute any suggestions for an online scan.

It is "phising" just delete and block sender, repeat as necessary. I've been getting the same thing--it used to be eBay, Paypal, Wells Fargo, etc. Never, never, never click on a link in an unsolicited email.

d’76 Guest

Too Late!!!!!!!!!

I already clicked the link because it came through as the bank that I use

Its not too late. Call your bank now!

I did a spy sweep and nothing came up. No trojans or spy ware I will do a norton scan in a minute any suggestions for an online scan.
    You should also have AdAware on your computer (another spyware program), and Bazooka works well as well. You need something in addition to McAfee or Norton. I run them BOTH regularly.

And the rule is: NEVER, EVER open an email from yout bank, PayPal, or ANY financial institution you do business with. If you get email, contact your financial institution in a separate browsertp check your account, or call them.

(BTW: I forward a REAL spam email to spam@uce.gov Not sure what good that does - uce.gov doesn't seem to go anywhere - but saw it suggested on Kim Komando's web site)

Default me too

Yes , I too, got the same email and printed it off for the local bangor savings in belfast to look at, there were glad that i had a copy for them and had started receiveing calls in the early am about this.. shortly after they sent out warning to all there customers about this.......... as someone else mentioned, i have always received them from ebay , paypal etc. but never locally, it was just a matter of time. and i am sure some people fell for it..

Dave
    If you haven't deleted it, open the email again and go to the view and open its header and that will show you where it came from ip addy ect. You can use this information to report it to the athourities. Good luck