vb:literal>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RE: Off topic . . . electrical needs

Default RE: Off topic . . . electrical needs

I am in the early stages of planning to build a house . . . or more specifically have a contractor build a house. Quick question though . . . is it better to go with a 100 amp or 200 amp service? I don't know if this matters, but I plan on having a 220-volt spa, but most likely will go with a propane stove and dryer.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Well I'm not an electrician but I would say unless your design is really small then the 200 amp service is the way to go. And while you are in the first stages of contracting have you really looked into using the sun to it's fullest extent. I don't necessarily mean going solar panels and such but placing the house in a position to really use the sun to it's fullest extent. Facing south with lots of windows and such. With the cost of electricity nowadays I would try to get the most out of it's use if it were me building a new home. Just my thoughts.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    Well I'm not an electrician but I would say unless your design is really small then the 200 amp service is the way to go. And while you are in the first stages of contracting have you really looked into using the sun to it's fullest extent. I don't necessarily mean going solar panels and such but placing the house in a position to really use the sun to it's fullest extent. Facing south with lots of windows and such. With the cost of electricity nowadays I would try to get the most out of it's use if it were me building a new home. Just my thoughts.
    It will most definitely be facing southward and have some skylights for some passive heat. One other thing I most definitely want to incorporate is a new oil boiler with an indoor wood boiler made by Tarm. The wood boiler is expensive up-front, but with access to "free" (well there is the taxes, cost of gas for the saw, time, etc.) I believe this would be as important as getting a good insulation package. In fact, this is one of the main reasons we're considering building . . . that and we want a smaller place now that my step-daughter is grown and out of the house.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Go with the 200 Amp 40 circuit box. you may not need the 200 amps, but you'll use up most of the 40 circuits if you wire the house correctly.

And remember, it's not the amps that kill you, it's your exploding organs.

Post Another opinion

I however am an electrician. If you are using propane for cooking as well as clothes drying, and I will assume either gas or oil to heat and make your hot water. A 100amp 32 circuit panel will more than meet your needs The cost to go from 100 to 200 amps at the service level is quite alot. There are factors that will determine how much more. Is it overhead or underground? How far back from the road is the house? We rarely use 200a services unless there is a great demand. The average home just doesn't need that much. Now if your building a 5000 sq ft plus monster then 200a would be appropriate.
    Happy Trails!

Now that shows you how much I know. Thanks Brad
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957
    I however am an electrician. If you are using propane for cooking as well as clothes drying, and I will assume either gas or oil to heat and make your hot water. A 100amp 32 circuit panel will more than meet your needs The cost to go from 100 to 200 amps at the service level is quite alot. There are factors that will determine how much more. Is it overhead or underground? How far back from the road is the house? We rarely use 200a services unless there is a great demand. The average home just doesn't need that much. Now if your building a 5000 sq ft plus monster then 200a would be appropriate.
    Thanks for the education, Brad! I'm an "amateur" electrician, and wired my house when we rebuilt it. We have 100 amp and it seems like plenty - still slots left and plenty of circuits installed. We don't have any "heavy" electrical users other than the range and water heater. I didn't know that going from 100 to 200 was a major step.

Default Do the math

200 is twice as big as 100
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957
    200 is twice as big as 100
    Duh! I meant the cost. To us "amateur's", residential electrical service is residential electrical service

Now here's a topic I can help ya with. I've done a lot of remodel work and new houses for friends (I'm not an electrician but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night) I would go with the 200A if you have a garage (tools and air compressors draw a lot of amps) or if you plan having a lot of electrical appliances i.e. a stove, water heater, clothes dryer. So you really need to ask yourself how much power do you plan on using? and how much do you use now compared to how much you will use with your adittion. If most of your stuff will be gas and you don't plan on using any heavy duty stuff, then to be more cost effective stick with the 100amp service, but if you plan on doing more and have the extra $$ to spend then I would go with the 200A. Another thing to think about is the future, will you add on more? will you sell in the future (having a good elect. service is a good home seller)

P.S.
    I work for beer.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.