vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RE: Off topic . . . electrical needs

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    You may get more from a back up generator than extra capacity.
    I have a small portable generator now which I bought a few years ago during the ice storm . . . no power for 14 days and after day 5 or 7 I think it was I broke down and bought a generator . . . I decided at that point that huddling around a kerosene heater just wasn't all that much fun or practical. As a result I have asked the electrician to set up the panel so I can safely hook up the generator and power select points in the house -- i.e. the boiler, refrigerator, big screen TV (OK, I'm kidding about that one.)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Question Heck go full auto

We install propane back up generators with fully automatic transfer switches. A 7kw with a 100a whole house transfer switch that will provide all of your creature comforts(not including hot tubs) would run you around 3k installed. When power goes out it starts, transfers, and shuts itself down when power is restored. They run on propane and are always ready to go. Money well spent if you lose your power frequently, or for extened periods of time. We have installed 5 of these in the last two weeks. Your electrician can find out about these at any of the supply houses in the area. If this is a little more than you want to spend then make sure you have a manual transfer switch installed to make it a safe system. The transfer switch isolates the utility power from the generator power for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about. Many people try and do an end around on home back up generator connections and will cause an deadly condition for lineman working on poles and transformers.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957
    We install propane back up generators with fully automatic transfer switches. A 7kw with a 100a whole house transfer switch that will provide all of your creature comforts(not including hot tubs) would run you around 3k installed. When power goes out it starts, transfers, and shuts itself down when power is restored. They run on propane and are always ready to go. Money well spent if you lose your power frequently, or for extened periods of time. We have installed 5 of these in the last two weeks. Your electrician can find out about these at any of the supply houses in the area. If this is a little more than you want to spend then make sure you have a manual transfer switch installed to make it a safe system. The transfer switch isolates the utility power from the generator power for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about. Many people try and do an end around on home back up generator connections and will cause an deadly condition for lineman working on poles and transformers.
    One of our Fire Inspectors at work put one ofthese in at the house he had built last Winter and he loves it . . . especially when the power went down in Sorrento for a a few days.

For my needs I think what I have or something a little bigger will suffice for those few times the power would go out . . . and yes I do know about line feedback . . . back in the ice storm that was a major concern by a lot of linemen working on restoring electrical power.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957
    We install propane back up generators with fully automatic transfer switches. A 7kw with a 100a whole house transfer switch that will provide all of your creature comforts(not including hot tubs) would run you around 3k installed.
    Do you give discounts to fellow geocachers? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    I believe the only thing I will have that requires a large electrical draw continually will be the hot tub and while we were originally going to keep it outdoors my wife now wants to put it in the basement.
    If you put it in the basement you'll need to install some type of exhaust overtop of it to draw out the moisture you'll be putting into the air. (water & wood & drywall & and electrical don't mix well, especially if you have a lot of dead air) and you would have to have that being controlled by a humidistat. which all of the above is not hard to do, but i do agree with ATT about sitting out in the hot tub during the winter (with a highball... um juice glass..... *sigh* ok, a bottle of jameson's irish whiskey) on a clear starry night and a box of fireworks.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    If you put it in the basement you'll need to install some type of exhaust overtop of it to draw out the moisture you'll be putting into the air. (water & wood & drywall & and electrical don't mix well, especially if you have a lot of dead air) and you would have to have that being controlled by a humidistat.
    You know I love it when you electrically-minded people come up with the same ideas . . . my electrician/electrical inspector/fire inspector/friend mentioned the same things. He suggested that the exhaust vent have an on-off switch and a humidstat as well . . . I was already planning on using the moisture resistant sheetrock and he suggested using the vapor barrier paint for a bit of added insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    You know I love it when you electrically-minded people come up with the same ideas . . . my electrician/electrical inspector/fire inspector/friend mentioned the same things. He suggested that the exhaust vent have an on-off switch and a humidstat as well . . . I was already planning on using the moisture resistant sheetrock and he suggested using the vapor barrier paint for a bit of added insurance.
    Don't forget the most important thing that the inspectors probably overlooked.... You MUST in accordance with federal law have the beer cooler within reaching distance from within the hot tub. I can't even begin to tell you how many people have fallen ill or been injured from getting out of the heavenly bliss in hot tub form and have gotten sick or even injured themselves by slipping on the floor all because they had to get out for another beverage. Heed my advice Jake, for your own safety build it into the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    Don't forget the most important thing that the inspectors probably overlooked.... You MUST in accordance with federal law have the beer cooler within reaching distance from within the hot tub. I can't even begin to tell you how many people have fallen ill or been injured from getting out of the heavenly bliss in hot tub form and have gotten sick or even injured themselves by slipping on the floor all because they had to get out for another beverage. Heed my advice Jake, for your own safety build it into the wall.

No - just do what I do. Have a kegerator on wheels so that you can move it from room to room! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    That's for sure! If you live out here in the woods like we do, a generator to run the water pump is a GREAT help in keeping the toilets functioning. (The alternative is another thread, as I recall... LOL!)

As well as the Direct TV, Puta, furnace, lights, stove, fridge, freezer, washer, dryer, ect, ect.......so go with the 200A/40circuit so you can balance out the generator. Like with firearms, your better off to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    No - just do what I do. Have a kegerator on wheels so that you can move it from room to room! LOL!

YOU HAVE A KEGERATOR ON WHEEEEEEELS!!!???!!!!!??!!?!!! I've got tears in my eyes.

:: Bows to WhereRWe ::

I'm sorry, I am no longer worthy enough to talk to you.