vb:literal>

Thread: RE: Off-topic, HDTV

Default RE: Off-topic, HDTV

Maybe it's just me, but I've been having a very odd situation happen in the little ol' town of Unity.

I have a Samsung TV with the integrated HDTV tuner. The picture is great and the sound is great, but I've run across two glitches and I don't know if it's the TV or the station broadcasting the show.

Glitch #1:
    This has happened twice. The picture is there. The background noise is there, but the dialogue is not. The first time this happened I could hear the roar of the crowd at a football game (the Pats were playing), but the announcers could not be heard. The second time it happened (the other night while watching Cold Case I could hear the background street noise, but not the actors dialogue. The station is WABI (CBS) in Bangor. I've contacted both Samsung and WABI and each says they think there is no problem on their end and that it was the other that most likely had the problem, although WABI admits that they're still a little unfamiliar with the whole HDTV thing. The analog broadcast comes through fine and often after flipping back to the HDTV broadcast the "glitch" seems to resolve itself.

Glitch #2:
    This happens alot . . . usually when I'm watching a HDTV program and it switches to a local commercial. It does not occur when watching a non-HDTV, but digital program. The TV show cuts from the show to a local commercial or station ID and the TV proceeds to shut itself off and then on again. Once again this has happened with WABI and once again both Samsung and WABI say the other entity is probably to blame.

So my question . . . has anyone else had this happen to them or am I special . . . well, I know I'm special, but I mean is this unique to me? Both issues are relatively minor, but irritating.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    Maybe it's just me, but I've been having a very odd situation happen in the little ol' town of Unity.

I have a Samsung TV with the integrated HDTV tuner. The picture is great and the sound is great, but I've run across two glitches and I don't know if it's the TV or the station broadcasting the show.

Glitch #1:
    This has happened twice. The picture is there. The background noise is there, but the dialogue is not. The first time this happened I could hear the roar of the crowd at a football game (the Pats were playing), but the announcers could not be heard. The second time it happened (the other night while watching Cold Case I could hear the background street noise, but not the actors dialogue. The station is WABI (CBS) in Bangor. I've contacted both Samsung and WABI and each says they think there is no problem on their end and that it was the other that most likely had the problem, although WABI admits that they're still a little unfamiliar with the whole HDTV thing. The analog broadcast comes through fine and often after flipping back to the HDTV broadcast the "glitch" seems to resolve itself.

Glitch #2:
    This happens alot . . . usually when I'm watching a HDTV program and it switches to a local commercial. It does not occur when watching a non-HDTV, but digital program. The TV show cuts from the show to a local commercial or station ID and the TV proceeds to shut itself off and then on again. Once again this has happened with WABI and once again both Samsung and WABI say the other entity is probably to blame.
    Is WABI the only station this happens with? WLBZ broadcasts in HD...any problem with them?

I have a HD tv with the built-in tuner but I also have cable. I have had no problems in the areas you talk about but in my uneducated/untrained opinion I think you have a problem with the integrated HDTV tuner since it works periodically and shuts your tv down. I'm sure if WABI were the cause of the problem they would have received many phone calls and be aware of it. I hope you have that in-home service plan?
    Last edited by parmachenee; 11-07-2005 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by parmachenee
    Is WABI the only station this happens with? WLBZ broadcasts in HD...any problem with them?

I have a HD tv with the built-in tuner but I also have cable. I have had no problems in the areas you talk about but in my uneducated/untrained opinion I think you have a problem with the integrated HDTV tuner since it works periodically and shuts your tv down. I'm sure if WABI were the cause of the problem they would have received many phone calls and be aware of it. I hope you have that in-home service plan?
    I haven't noticed it with WLBZ or any other station, but to be honest I don't watch much network television except for CBS . . . NBC just hasn't been the same since the Must-See-Thursday's heyday of Seinfold, Friends, Fraser, etc.

And unfortunately no, I don't have the service plan . . . that TV weighs a ton incidentally. I had about all I could do to get it in the front door.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

... The first time this happened I could hear the roar of the crowd at a football game (the Pats were playing), but the announcers could not be heard.

Where can I get one of these?

Sorry Jake, I don't even have cable, the building I live in can't even get local stations with rabbit ears, the only stations I get are the snow channel and the vertical line channel, I personally think TV is a waste of time and money. now geocaching! there's somethin more productive!

::cracks open another budweiser and grabs the gps::
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Maybe you can't hear the sound because your speakers aren't big enough

Sorry, just had to use this opportunity to show off my current work in progress.
    And, Maybe this is why I need 40 circuits instead of 20.

Hey,

I figured I would put in my 2 cents. I kickjed this around afew of my coworkers and we agreed that it would be either the reciever on the tv, a setting with the sound, or a feed issue for the station. We have rulled out the feed issue since we handle the feed for that station up north and have had heard no reports from our customers up there. So I would probbally say that it is something wiht the tv .

RobT

Quote Originally Posted by robt
    Hey,

I figured I would put in my 2 cents. I kickjed this around afew of my coworkers and we agreed that it would be either the reciever on the tv, a setting with the sound, or a feed issue for the station. We have rulled out the feed issue since we handle the feed for that station up north and have had heard no reports from our customers up there. So I would probbally say that it is something wiht the tv .

RobT
    I was sort of hoping this wasn't the case since I don't relish having to deal with Samsung's Customer Service and/or bringing the TV back since it weighs a ton . . . or maybe it's closer to only being a half ton.

I was sort of hoping this wasn't the case since I don't relish having to deal with Samsung's Customer Service and/or bringing the TV back since it weighs a ton . . . or maybe it's closer to only being a half ton.
    Sorry about that, I wish I could have given you better news, but if you would like for a "small fee" I would be more that willing to pick it up and put it in my livingroom for a few years of furhter testing