vb:literal>

View Poll Results: Should out of staters place caches in Maine?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 11.43%
  • No

8 11.43%
  • Only if they can come in state on short notice or have someone in Maine maintain it

49 70.00%
  • I don't care

5 7.14%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Out of staters placing caches

Hey Jen,you're marrried to the guy aren't yah. If he can't mainain it then maybe you ought to just go out there and replace the measley little log,what's the big deal anyway?
    Last edited by Haffy; 06-27-2005 at 07:12 PM.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Consider this point of view:

Instead of making restrictive rules and adding more buracracy, why not take stock of what you do not prefer and try to avoid it. Most people already know that they either love or hate puzzles. Almost any thing you can think of is mentioned in the logs or the description. If you don't like out-a-stata's, don't go to them. Micros not your spot of tea, don't do them. Wet logs might be a little harder, but if you happen to be the first one to notice a wet log, then why not give the guy a break. First time hider with no finds, why not wait and see how it goes.

The only rule we really need is honesty and good cache logs!

Post I like your train of thought Tom..

Give it a chance, don't bust chops, let the newbies have a chance to improve with some constructive criticism and guidence from some of the more ah seasoned cachers. You are also right in pointing out that we do not have to hunt for any caches that we don't choose to. Unless it's a new cache and we have to be FTF. Right Haffy I will try and look at things in a little different and patient light from now on. Thanks for the fresh perspective.
    Happy Trails!

I don't know where I stand on this. I'm from Maine and wouldn't mind placing a cache around where I grew up. I go back home at least once or twice a month, a few family members or friends would take care of it if I couldn't. I think it just depends on the situation and if you could really up keep the cache.

I agree whole heartedly with everything that TAT and Mainiac1957 have to say and would like to add a couple of more points. I have noticed a lot of caches recently that have been put out by so-called newbies who have only a couple of finds or none at all under there belts. I think we ,as more seasoned cachers, should be sure to give them any constructive critisizim that we have and encourage them to try and follow all the correct guidelines to ensure that others doing the same things can make the hide and hunt as much fun as possible.I have been to a few caches that have been placed by newbies that have been much better and more accurate than some of the more seasoned cachers have placed. Just my 2 cents.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Exclamation Adopt-A-Cache

Just the thread we were looking for!!!

We would agree with Sabby; placing a cache that you cannot maintain should not be done.

We currently are pursuing a goal to place a physical cache (and do understand that a virtual cache would be maintainable via the net - we would like to do the physical route but virtual will be our backup) in all 50 states. We travel regularly so getting to all 50 states is possible. What we are hoping to find is someone in Southern Maine that would be willing to adopt a cache there.

We will be attending a conference in Boston the first week in August and would like to place the cache then. Prior coordination is a must, as the goal is to make sure the cache meets all normal standards, including guidance/input from the adopting GeoCacher. So far we have someone in MA, RI, and CT that have agreed to adopt. Right now we are working with them on coordinating locations and advice on what type of cache works best for the location that they agree to adopt in.

Please let us know if you are interested. We can be contacted directly thru george.blalack@us.army.mil

We've got a cache in NH and one in Southern ME, and have been talking about locations for a new one. We have ammo boxes ready to go. There's also a nearby cache that we should adopt (I need to get off my duff and contact the owner). I'd be happy to consider adopting/maintaining one of your caches, depending on the location. I'll drop you an email!