vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Since When!!!!!!!!!!!!!

d’76 Guest

Default Since When!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has any one checked out the allegash tramway cache, It's been archived.

Since when cant you put a cache in the allagash is that a federal park??

Public use land my @SS!!!!!!!!!

One more person telling people how to use the maine woods. I bet she is from Mass.

She said that the cache has been removed and was encouraging people to access it illegally, What is that all abouthttp://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...d-5b10835d42f5

What is this world coming to???

What the hell... thats not allowed... I wonder why he published that...
    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

I don't think she is encouraging people to access it illegally, but is saying that the geocache placement is doing that. I wonder why GPSFun would have approved the cache in the first place.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Gee, who has been trying to access illegally? Only three people have found it so how can this lady say that. What is considered illegally? The three people that have logged it I know drove to it and took an olf road into it. Correct me if I am wrong Brad.
    Blazing Troll

I know this is a very touchy subject, but I understand the AWW's viewpoint. They are managing a WILDERNESS waterway. While most of the state of Maine has a very generous public use tradition, even on private land, the AWW is different. The AWW was created by popular vote by all Mainers. The management is required by law to keep that area a wildernes area. There is a lot of demand for access both locally and by people from away.

In my opinion, the bottom line is:

"By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location."

By placing a cache w/o permission of the person managing the land, we make it harder to work with land managers.

Post I can understand.

When I went back in there on Labor Day weekend the lady at the gate asked where we were going. When I told her the tram she said "they" don't like people going up there.They meaing the rangers or the land managers or whatever. She didn't try and stop me but just thought she'd mention the fact. As you all said it is public land, but in a sensitive wilderness area. I can see where the don't want a large volume of people up there tromping around. So I guess I'm saying I don't mind it being resticted. OK Tom, and Dave since we were the only ones to log it I guess that makes us FTFers I've been there twice this year and I will most likely go again at some other time. It is a spectacular area to visit.
    Happy Trails!

The rules are the rules, and they should be respected.

But if the managers had their choice, no one would go to the AWW. It's just like the wildlife refuge's - I find it funny they won't allow a small box hidden there, but they allow all those video cameras they make the movies for that site Dave1976 I think pointed out! At what point in time did man stop being part of nature?

This land is there for public use: it's owned by the People of Maine, not the "waterway manager". I would think that they'd want to encourage people to see it (a cache does that), not discourage people.

And obviously this "waterway manager" monitors geocaching.com, looking for caches in the area...

Sheesh!

(Just think, Haffy, Brad and Dave1976, about the caching trip you made this weekend. If it Khatadin becomes a national park, all those caches will have to go. LOL!)

And remember: NO SWEARING IN THE ALAGASH WILDERNESS WATERWAY! (I'm glad they didn't define "coarse language". I probably wouldn't be allowed to say "sheesh!)

(See rules here)

[QUOTE=WhereRWe?]This land is there for public use: it's owned by the People of Maine, not the "waterway manager". I would think that they'd want to encourage people to see it (a cache does that), not discourage people.

And obviously this "waterway manager" monitors geocaching.com, looking for caches in the area...

/QUOTE]

True the land is owned by the People of Maine. There was a referendum in 1966 to issue a bond to purchase the land to create the nation's first Wilderness Waterway. The policies are not created by any "waterway manager" but by the legislature and written into statutes. She is required by Maine law to enforce the rules. I doubt she is looking very hard at geocaching as that cache has been there for at least a year.

Here is a link outlining the policies: http://mainegov-images.informe.org/d...evisedPlan.pdf

A lot has changed over the years, but I think most Mainers still want the Allagash managed for traditional uses and to keep it's wilderness character. I'm not sure that most Mainers want access to be as restrictive as it is now. I am certain most people from the county would like more access. Google the "John's bridge parking lot" debate from about 2001 and you should be able to find a lot about both sides. People who live in the southern part of the state are overwhelmed by urban sprawl and are probably a little paranoid about increasing access. Or, is it a normal, healthy fear?

I think Geocaching should be permitted in the Allagash. Perhaps gcmaine.org as a group could design a cache, consistent with legislated policies and work to get approval