vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB to Serial (DB9) Cable

Default USB to Serial (DB9) Cable

Has anyone had any experience using these with a Magellan. I am wondering if I need to use Magellans adapter or can I pick one up from Best Buy thats a quarter of the cost. I know, I know, I should have got a Garmin

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh and friends
    I should have got a Garmin

What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh and friends
    Has anyone had any experience using these with a Magellan. I am wondering if I need to use Magellans adapter or can I pick one up from Best Buy thats a quarter of the cost. I know, I know, I should have got a Garmin
    I use one of the generic adapters on mine all the time and it works good for me. I bought mine on ebay and just searched for one that said it was GPS Compatable. Not sure if that matters or not??????? I needed it cause my laptop does not have a serial port. if you are down south let me know and I can let you test this one and see how it works. the only problem that I have had is that the port # will change from time to time messing me up.

robt

I use one--don't recall where I got it--I would think most any (read "cheapest one you can find") would be fine. Most GPSrs older than a year or two, regardless of brand, have serial interfaces.

I bought one for my GPS72 and have had nothing but problems with it. It is made by Belkin and I got it from staples. In my professional opinion... It sucks. But if you do get one that you have good success with, lemme know.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Mine's a Belkin F5U003 and works great--as with anything computer related, YMMV!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    I bought one for my GPS72 and have had nothing but problems with it. It is made by Belkin and I got it from staples. In my professional opinion... It sucks. But if you do get one that you have good success with, lemme know.
    The Garmin GPSr's require a serial/USB interface cable that is certified for
    Garmin. I know I had a lot of trouble until I got the right cable. There was a big thread on this in here somewhere, and listed a source for a GOOD Garmin cable.

I have not heard that the same problem exists with Magellan, though, so a generic cable should work.

Default Software and hardwar issues...

You may have either a software or a hardware problem. I use USB/serial adapters at work quite often. They usually work with Windows XP Pro and Windows 2000. I have had a lot of problems using XP Home and Windows 98.

You may also have an older USB cable, I've had more sucess using USB 2.0 cables.

In any event, you should always look in Device Manager to see which com port the cable is attached to and that is functioning. Highlight My Computer, right click, pick Properites. Then, a dialog box will appear. Pick the Hardware tab and pick Device Manager. Expand Ports (com and lpt). Your cable should be listed here. If it is yellow, or if it is listed as an unknown device, it is not loaded correctly. If it is functioning properly, you may be asking the gps software to use the wrong com port. Most older software defaults to com1 and some newer software will scan your ports. In either case, the software needs to have the port with the usb cable.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    The Garmin GPSr's require a serial/USB interface cable that is certified for
    Garmin. I know I had a lot of trouble until I got the right cable. There was a big thread on this in here somewhere, and listed a source for a GOOD Garmin cable.

I have not heard that the same problem exists with Magellan, though, so a generic cable should work.

does garmin make their own adapters or is there a good brand i should look for?
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.