vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uh Oh!!!!

Default Uh Oh!!!!

Seems like the traditional "Ammo Box" is once again being challenged.....lol. We need to get these folks up here to do some of our Ammo box caches.

By the way I've done several of hoamdezinah's, Gob-ler's and other's super great micro hides and have had a blast being tested by the warped minds of the hiders...lol. I wouldn't say they are more fun but definately a well done micro is better than a poorly done ammo box.

I've enlarged and bold typed the "challenge" in the following post. Ammo boxes in need of supporters, any takers?????

November 29 by

This one was the first of seven that I found on this wonderful spring-like day... In the very tail-end of November. : )

A much easier find than I was expecting or ever could have hoped for! Although; I was discussing such things with hoamdezinahs and we both agreed - when you're used to finding these (and hiding them, for that matter) it seems to come much easier.
    My hint to you? Once you can start thinking out of the ammo-box, looking for and finding very well hidden micros can be downright FUN and dare I say, much more enjoyable.
    This is certainly another one of those fun caches, along with the three others that HD has put right in this immediate area. Well worth the trip (no matter how far you have come) so you can run the full gauntlet of these five geocaches. Enjoy!

Default Hmmm

Steve are you being pulled by the DARK side of the force? Oh Obi Wan.....You're our only hope.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    I wouldn't say they are more fun but definately a well done micro is better than a poorly done ammo box.
    Actually I agree on this point however, Micros are still not my favorite type of cache but they can be fun
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

IMHO ...

A majority of people who hide micros hide them to be more difficult intentionally. A majority of people who hide ammo boxes hide them for the location intentionally. If all caches met this standard, you can see why people who cache for the hide may lean toward micros.

A micro can be placed most anywhere and it could be hard to find. It usually does not take much imagintion to hide a micro with 2-3 dificulty rating. You could throw a non-camo'd film can on the ground or on a tree limb and even with good coords you'll get a few DNFs right off the bat. That's not so much the case with tradional caches, and even more so with large ammo boxes.

No offense to any of you that hide them, (heck, I have one micro hide myself), but I think it's an indication of lack of imagination and ingenuity when a cache hider hides micros in places where traditional caches could be hidden. Also, it often appears as though the hider was in such a rush to hide a cache he didn't want to bother to find a good location and put some camo on a full sized cache container.

I am against lame caches, ammo box or micro. I think most Maine caches rate pretty high in quality on a national scale. Most of the micros hidden here are of decent quality and in places a full sized cache would be difficult. But, as time goes on and it takes more work to find good locations and more effort to make well camo'd ammo boxes, Maine will most likely follow suit with the rest of the country and more micros will show up, and the quality of the overall cache will degrade.

Default Well put Dave

I guess I still prefer a walk in the woods over a walk in the park. However I too see the niche a micro fills in an urban setting. So as long as cache quality stays maintained I say go for it. And of course this is IMHO as well.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty & Co.
    Actually I agree on this point however, Micros are still not my favorite type of cache but they can be fun
    I'll always complain about the micro in the lamp post or behind the dumpster, but I agree that a good micro can be a great search. RULOST2? and I were caching in Massachusetts last month, and found some tough ones.

Two were nano-caches (about the size of a pencil eraser - VERY hard to see), and one was a great hide in the spirit of BRDAD's "Battleship", only a LOT smaller.

Default micros

i don't mind finding a micro now and then, especially if it is a challenge. i don't care to ever look for a lamp post one again, or one in a guardrail. my caches were all placed for their locations only. none of them are hard to find. (i still have no idea why king row has been such a challenge. the twinkies were driving me crazy trying to find it - they walked past it a dozen times!) i placed my caches for the beauty (barred island, almost; dow ledges) and/or my personal histories (king row; tennis preserve) of the spots. i don't see myself ever hiding a micro. i'll let other cachers do that.
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

Talking

I personally like being able to trade things and leave signatures and stuff like that. and micros are so hard to sign those darn little logbooks. Ammo cans are just so much more personable (especially the ones that are well taken care of)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

[QUOTE=becket] (i still have no idea why king row has been such a challenge. the twinkies were driving me crazy trying to find it - they walked past it a dozen times!) QUOTE]

Ask Dave1976 why?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I think you all know how I feel about micros. Really enough said already about those. I like micros if they are well done and cause one to think.

As for the feeling that Maine caches are some how better than or what ever, I have cached in a number of different states and Maine is really no different than anywhere else except for the fact that we have plenty of wide open spaces here. One of the things that Maine definately lags in is the quality of their placed cache containers. I call this the land of plastic. Not that there is anything wrong with the good to high quality plastic, but many of the caches I have done are of the cheap low quality plastic containers. The fact is they just do not hold up to the elements as well as the good stuff. UV rays definately break them down quickly. I can't tell you how many wet containers I have found up this way. Elsewhere is the same to some extent, but it seems that other areas have more than their share of quality containers, more so than here.

If a cache is worth placing then it deserves a good container. My personal favorite of course is the ammo can especially if the can was in decent shape. A little preventative prep on an ammo can can really make a huge difference in how they hold up. Make sure the seal is good that is most important and also make sure the hinges and latch are in good working order. A little inspection when buying will weed out the bad ones.

We have some extraordinary locations up here, but IMOHO a poor cache container is not a good end to a great location.

Now where am I going to hide my next urban micro?
    Last edited by Gob-ler; 12-07-2005 at 08:06 AM.