vb:literal>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Colby College

Default Colby College

Colby College is going to have a "Geocaching" lecture Dec. 1st, at 4pm. I found this by accident while looking for information on the Carol and lights performance. Does anyone know anything about this? It is being presented by Margot Kelley. Gumpette

What is her (I assume it's a she) qualification for being a lecturer on geocaching?

Five month's experience?

(Yeah, I know - I'm being a curmudgeon today...)

I think Gumpette means Margot Kelley is going to be the speaker.
    Here's what I found.........

http://www.bu.edu/prc/landmark/kelley.htm
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

Default A little research will find......

Margot Kelley's geocacher name is photogo, she is the owner of the Minnie Weeeee cache GCQW39 in Unity.
    Last edited by Smitty & Co.; 11-27-2005 at 12:06 PM.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    What is her (I assume it's a she) qualification for being a lecturer on geocaching?

Five month's experience?

She did write a book on it http://www.margotannekelley.com/loca...es_thebook.htm

Kelley has a diverse background that includes a Ph.D. in American Literature from Indiana University and a MFA in photography from Massachusetts College of Art. She currently teaches literature at Bentley College. As a part of the Nature & Inquiry artist group related to MassArt’s SIM (Studio for Interrelated Media) program, she collaborated on the award-winning artwork “Invisible Ideas,” a GPS-enabled Artwalk through the Boston Public Gardens and Common for the Copley Society of Art held during the 2003 Boston Cyberarts Festival.

Profile at http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?g...4-f55a0cba2cfa

I'd call her qualified enough IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh and friends
    She did write a book on it http://www.margotannekelley.com/loca...es_thebook.htm

Well, I knew when I commented that I was probably better off not saying anything, but it had been SOOOOO quiet in here lately that I thought it might generate a few comments. LOL!

My apologies to Ms. Kelley.

Smile Qualified enough????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh and friends

Kelley has a diverse background that includes a Ph.D. in American Literature from Indiana University and a MFA in photography from Massachusetts College of Art. She currently teaches literature at Bentley College. As a part of the Nature & Inquiry artist group related to MassArt’s SIM (Studio for Interrelated Media) program, she collaborated on the award-winning artwork “Invisible Ideas,” a GPS-enabled Artwalk through the Boston Public Gardens and Common for the Copley Society of Art held during the 2003 Boston Cyberarts Festival.

Profile at http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?g...4-f55a0cba2cfa

No question that the author is a very smart lady and she obviously likes to geocache but she is speaking from her perspective and not everyones. How could she? We all take away something different from the geocaching experience. I've not heard of her or any of her lectures and from the book description and the excerpt I've read, she doesn't claim to be an authority on geocaching rather she write and addresses geocaching as what it means to her. We are all qualified to approach geocaching in a similar manner.

If you mean she's quailified to have an opinion, I agree with you whole heartedly. Would I read her book, most likely. Do I think her credentials make her an authority on geocaching, nope. I bet if we could ask her if she feels she's an expert on geocaching that she would say no (at least I hope she would).

Listen to everyone but use only what is meaningful. Don't be dazzled by the bells and whistles, listen to what she is saying then tell us if she is "qualified enough".

Happy Caching!!!!!!!

Hmm, Going to this will definatly not be high on my list of priorities, kinda looks like another person that is trying to cash in on the Geocaching Name. I looked at her profile and it appears that she has done some caching but If I wanted to learn more I would or have a real meaningful lecture there are many others I would call first. We have far more experienced cachers at most of our events and as for actually learning more about it I would much rather spend a day caching with TAT or YOP or any number of other cachers that have had far more experiance, besides, it would be a whole lot more educational and interesting that listen to a lecture.

Now before anyone gets mad cause I did not use their name you can pretty much insert the name of most of the more experenced cachers name, the 2 were just the first 2 that came to my mind and I did not feeling like typing in 1/2 of the cachers on this site and many more from the Geocaching website

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Well, I knew when I commented that I was probably better off not saying anything
    ditto

This might be interesting - though it is her perspective, we all know that geocaching takes us to interesting places that we would likely not have seen otherwise - I always like to hear what others have experienced along their journeys. I believe that Noreasta has a cache that will be featured in this book. I know that he was contacted by an author - I think it was her.
    Last edited by Beach Comber; 11-27-2005 at 10:34 PM.
    ~ Beach Comber ~