vb:literal>

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Tips for Newbies (Please share yours!)

Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy
    A thing I learned very early in my caching "career" is to have a solid lock on as many satellites as possible BEFORE entering heavy cover. Once you are in there without a good lock, you may never acquire it. (OK, all you "x" model folks can just go blasting in).

Wink

It's a very good idea to waypoint your car.

It's also a good idea to do a little research about the area that you are going to be operating in. You should have an emergency direction to travel if lost and carry a compass. Take a bearing from your car to the waypoint and the reciprocal can be your emergency direction if lost.

I like to know what it is that I am looking for and when the last time it was found. Reading the most recent logs may help you find the cache, but may also indicate that nobody has been finding it. Sometimes saves a lot of time looking for something no longer there.

My cardinal rule of geocaching is never assume anything!

Good luck!

Fismo : It's also a good idea to do a little research about the area that you are going to be operating in. You should have an emergency direction to travel if lost and carry a compass.

On the same note - Find the nearest enclosing roads of the area in which you plan to hike. A half-mile bushwhack through a swamp may suck heartily, but at least knowing you'll reach pavement at the end (which you then know how to follow to your car) beats the uncertainty of "I've run out of water and don't see anything I recognize, I may die here".

And yes, dumb ol' me has experienced that, on a "just a half-hour in and out" hike - Which actually prompted me to buy my first GPS and thus enabled me to start geocaching. But ignore the happy ending there and take the safety lesson to heart.
    Ego non quaero te in nomine Patris, sed in nomine Signali.

A tip for the upcoming winter caching....

Don't eat the yellow snow
    "When I get back I'm bringing a weedwacker and a stun gun!"

A famous tune by Frank Zappa!!!
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by ribnag
    On the same note - Find the nearest enclosing roads of the area in which you plan to hike. A half-mile bushwhack through a swamp may suck heartily, but at least knowing you'll reach pavement at the end (which you then know how to follow to your car) beats the uncertainty of "I've run out of water and don't see anything I recognize, I may die here".
    RULOST2? and I went blueberry picking a couple of days ago. It was on paper company lands, about 40 miles from home. We were in young growth, thick, but plenty of open spaces where there were berries.

I asked RULOST2? if she knew the way out. NO! So I asked her to listen. AHA! Trucks on the highway a mile or so away. Since she knew we were between the car and the highway, she just had to go opposite the sound of the trucks to get to the woods road the car was on.

Great example of knowing your surroundings!