vb:literal>

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Newbies (Please share yours!)

Default from a realitive newbie

It helps if you are caching at night to bring a flashlight, and a cell phone, and go with a friend if possible-keep on the look out for muggles, and if the cache is readily evident, leave it better camoflauged.

Quote Originally Posted by bearfirefighter
    It helps if you are caching at night to bring a flashlight, and a cell phone, and go with a friend if possible-keep on the look out for muggles, and if the cache is readily evident, leave it better camoflauged.
    Even better advice: If the muggles are in their car, DO NOT shine the flashlight on them!

When the gps says the cache is 0.67 miles away, don't head straight for it. 90% of the time there is a pathway to be found that will be easier walking than the straight line path. Straight line travel is always harder.

Be aware that the pathway it likely to to double or even triple the distance you cover. However the journey is usually more interesting, so look around and enjoy the sites. Sometimes the walk is the point of the cache owner.

Account for the increased travel time both in time and energy. It is dangerous (and a drag) to suddenly be exhausted (and late) and still have quite some distance to travel to complete the journey. (OK, maybe this piece of advice only applies to me.)
    What; Me Worry?

Post proven facts

1) when the GPS'r doesn't move much in distance, it's in miles not feet.

2) just when you feel wicked geocaching smaaht. Someone puts out a cache that hits you in the mellon, and makes you feel numd as a hake.

3) if your gonna carry those snowshoes, use'em.

4) NEVER tell your navigator, " no it's not over there ".

5) with only a GPS'r and an internet connection you can go geocaching. Right , whats all this other stuff for.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Default How can you find something if you know where it is?

Don't log a find on your own cache, nor on a cache you have allready found before without expecting someone to say something about it. That's what the "post a note" logs are for!

hehehehe....I have a good one....never take only this 1/2 of the Blazing Trolls with you....I can't ever remember how to work that dang GPS LOL !!

I guess better late than never! It only took me 4 years to catch on to this "new" sport! I was so excited to give it a shot, at least the easy ones! I was gangbusters yesterday printing out caches in my area when my husband, the police officer pointed out one danger hadn't thought about.... people predators. Has anyone figured there may be danger of someone using geocaching to lure people to secluded areas for other purposes? Frankly, the mere thought of it has put quite a damper on my enthusiasm. Has there been any reported cases of something like this? How do I know it's safe? Anyway, didn't mean to start out with such a bummer of a post. I'm still looking forward to caching, but I think I will have to get myself a very large and viscious dog for a partner! ~R.R.~

Quote Originally Posted by rookie riegel
    I guess better late than never! It only took me 4 years to catch on to this "new" sport! I was so excited to give it a shot, at least the easy ones! I was gangbusters yesterday printing out caches in my area when my husband, the police officer pointed out one danger hadn't thought about.... people predators. Has anyone figured there may be danger of someone using geocaching to lure people to secluded areas for other purposes? Frankly, the mere thought of it has put quite a damper on my enthusiasm. Has there been any reported cases of something like this? How do I know it's safe? Anyway, didn't mean to start out with such a bummer of a post. I'm still looking forward to caching, but I think I will have to get myself a very large and viscious dog for a partner! ~R.R.~
    I can't answer your question regarding reported incidents of violence (I'd be curious also) but their always exist the potential. Most caches are assigned with the creators/owners name so that may help alleviate some concern. The fact that a potential perp. would have no indication when you were planning to go to caching and which caches you intented to locate also helps reduce the possibility. As with any activity outdoors and away from home excercise caution; tell people you trust where you intend on going and what sights you plan on visiting, bring the right equipment, etc. etc. Read the other post here for great advice. Also, their exist no rules that say you can't go with someone else or with a group. This would be the safest way to get out an enjoy. There are most likely cachers in your area that would like nothing better than to go caching with you. Just post here and I'm sure you can find a caching buddy.

As you have most likely been told by hubby, don't get in a situation that can go bad. If it looks questionable leave immediately. Come back with a group or with hubby if you have to, but just be safe by staying safe and taking no chances.

As for you getting a big mean dog, just remember if you run into someone at a cache site, they will most likely be looking for the cache and nothing more. Speaking for myself, I don't want to be eaten up by a big mean dog by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Fortunately, the only cacher I have met at a cache sight was friendly and curteous. He assured me that he has had many of my singular experience with the same outcome.

Please be safe and take as few chances as possible, caching is great fun and it would be ruinous if even one person got accosted or threatened.

My two Cents

Steve

Rookie riegel

wbdent I suppose someone could do this. But then someone could also jump you while getting in you car at the grocery store at night. I have never heard of this being done yet. I think if you look at the cache logs and see that others have cached there before then that would be a good sign that someone is not doing it just to lure someone in. If you are that worried and really like geocaching then a good thing for you to do is to hook up with someone else that likes to geocaches and you will have a caching partner. It would be better to go with someone else if you are worried. If you do not know anyone else then you have a good opportunity to come to the 18 June geocache event this month and meet some of us. Here is the link to the cache event: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...8-45645930ca07.

wbdent But like some else always mentioned there is always exist the potential just like walking to your car in the Wal-Mart parking lot late at night.
    Blazing Troll

Rookie -

Like Atroll I always remember the woman abducted right out of the parking lot at Shaws Grocery store in Scarborough - broad daylight, etc. etc. Many police departments (and the NRA) offer personal protection courses designed for women. I've taken a couple and look at my surroundings and safety much differently now.

On a lighter note - most of the caches we have been to have been deep in the woods and only reached after some strenuous walking, scrambling over rocks, etc. I think muggers would pick much easier prey. Have your police hubby go with you on a few so he can see what's up. We've also cached once with friends and it was fun to be in a group competing for that cache!

Anne
    TwoMaineiacs / Anne and Joe