vb:literal>

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Newbies (Please share yours!)

Quote Originally Posted by RanMan22
    1. As others have said, always mark your car as a waypoint....
    2. Bring a bottle of water with you -- especially on hot days. You may not think you'll need it, but if you get way out in the woods for a longer period of time than you expected, you'll be thankful you have it.
    3. Cache with a buddy, if possible. It's easy to slip and fall and get hurt...trust me on this one. Also, believe it or not, it's easy to get disoriented and perhaps lost in the woods -- even with a GPS in your hand.

-RanMan22
    Also helps to have your cell phone with you - just in case...

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Also helps to have your cell phone with you - just in case...
    It does, but a lot of the remote caches in Maine and NH are in areas with no cell phone coverage.

Red face I second it!

Though it has been said before, I can't emphasize enough how helpful (perhaps important is a better word!) it is to enter the location of your car before embarking on a trek. I have been off trail more than once and wished that I had. One time in particular, I completely lost my bearings and began paying attention to where I could hear traffic. Fortunately, I was near some! Even more fortunate was the fact that I eventually bushwacked my way out of the thick brush that I somehow got into and found a trail. I laughed when I was in the situation and laugh now, but you can be sure that I mark the location of my car now! A good friend suggested that I do this before I even had a single episode of confusion off the trail, but my inattentiveness (perhaps stubborness!) to listen to his good direction kept me from taking the step. I would highly recommend that you not do what I did and instead heed the good advice of others - LOL!

Wink More great tips - LOL!!!

It's been awhile since anyone posted a tip here, but I thought of a couple while caching this week.

1. Keep your mouth closed at all times while walking in the woods - unless of course you are interested in eating a few bugs along the way.

2. BELIEVE that you look beautiful covered in sweat, pieces of wood, leaves, dead bugs, cobwebs, or whatever else you may have on you when you have successfully completed that cache!!

3. And, well, while I am here - might as well reinforce the mark your car thing - if you are ANYTHING like me - you WILL lose your sense of direction!

Always bring a pen with you. Sometimes the logbook is there and there is no pen. People sometimes accidently take them.
    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Cyr
    Always bring a pen with you. Sometimes the logbook is there and there is no pen. People sometimes accidently take them.
    Bring several pens, and leave one in the cache!

(Hint: Marden's has a LOT of pens/pencils/etc. right now)

Dont forget your water bottle. I did a what I thought would be a quick cache and it took me ten minutes to hike in and over 45 minutes to find (insert rookie jokes here). I wish I hadn't forgotten my water bottle at home.

Exclamation

A winter trek to the Etna Bog requires snowshoes!
    Nuffer

Learn how to identify the poisonous plants where you expect to cache and keep as sharp an eye out for them as you do for the cache. It is no fun putting up with something like poison ivy (none of that in Maine - right) for days after looking for a cache.

A house is not a home without a cat.

Default For sure

Nuffer - you are right about that!! Unless of course, you want the extra challenge of breaking trail in knee to hip deep snow with boots on - ai yi yi! LOL What an exhilarating experience that was!
    ~ Beach Comber ~